Jane Says - Janes Addiction

Carl

We've never been able to nail this one down, so we don't have any Songfacts for it. Can anyone confirm if this is the real story?

Song Name: Jane Says

Artist: Jane's Addiction

SongFacts: Although most people think that this song is about a prostitute, it was inspired by a real Jane is L.A. whose addiction to heroin caused the band a lot of trouble.

It is true.

This is from a link from one of the bands websites.

As for "Jane Says," it's a character study based on a real person, Farrell explains. There was an actual Jane -- with an actual heroin habit and an abusive boyfriend named Sergio -- who lived with Farrell and nearly a dozen others in a group house in Hollywood as the band was forming in the early '80s. Yes, she talked endlessly about scrimping for a jaunt to Europe ("Jane says, 'I'm going away to Spain / When I get my money saved' "), and yes, this tempestuous muse took an occasional swipe at a housemate, but she never seemed to connect. ("She gets mad and starts to cry / Takes a swing but she can't hit.")

Farrell has lost touch with Jane, but it turns out that finding her isn't all that hard. It took only a few phone calls to determine that she's still living in California, and though she's quoted in the song predicting she was "going to kick tomorrow," it took a little longer. Today, however, she's proud to say she's clean.

"The story of Jane has a happy ending," says Jane Bainter on the phone from Los Angeles.