Overrated Movies

Batman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Burns voice) Excellent. Now it begins...

XXX, picked up "The Pit and the Pendulum" and " Fall of the House of Usher " for $6 bucks each. Sweet ! Any comments/ reviews ? They came out ina series called "Midnight Movies" by MGM. Check out the website and let us know if anything strikes your fancy... !

6 bucks?! These must be public domain titles if they're that cheap. Watch out 'cause quality could be as bad as a videocassette copy, which they undoubtedly must have been transferred from. The Pit And The Pendulum... hmmm, I recall seeing this movie a couple of times on Sunday afternoons (so it doesn't quite make it to midnight movie status ;) ). If you liked that one, you should seek out The Name Of The Rose. That one was creepy as hell. It must have been 1986 when it first came out and I didn't know any English, but the imagery made me real curious to see the whole thing. It's been a weird favourite of mine for some time. Speaking of midnight movies and public domain titles, I got this Dennis Hopper movie from the 60s titled Night Tide. Oooh. You should most def check that one out. It has that whole Carnival Of Souls feel to it. Weird, strange, grainy, and moody. I've seen it a couple of times and this one clearly stands on the other side of movies like Splash. It's a b-movie for those with good taste for cult films ::

Here's a list of overrated movies that everyone seems to love:

Titanic - Relies on showy effects to compensate for the God-awful dialog. Check out the better, made-for-TV version that came out the year before.

A Beautiful Life - The WORST Holocaust movie I've ever seen.

I'm cutting this list short. Basically all the movies that you love, won an Oscar, made a lot of money, or were considered a big deal at any point in history. They are all overrated.

[...] you should seek out The Name Of The Rose. That one was creepy as hell. It must have been 1986 when it first came out and I didn't know any English, but the imagery made me real curious to see the whole thing. It's been a weird favourite of mine for some time.

That is an excellent murder-mystery period film. The love story is a bit out-of-sync with the rest of the picture, but it does not depreciate the film's dark, atmospheric aura. I picked it up as soon as it came out on DVD last year. :thumbsup:

Cidade De Deus. Good lord, this movie was never gonna end! It was three decades' worth of violence spliced into two hours. "True story," my arse! (So was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre... riiiiight). Every second someone busted a cap on someone else - for no reason other than it looked cool killing people. You've been warned :beatnik:

Cidade De Deus. Good lord, this movie was never gonna end! It was three decades' worth of violence spliced into two hours. "True story," my arse! (So was The Texas Chainsaw Massacre... riiiiight). Every second someone busted a cap on someone else - for no reason other than it looked cool killing people. You've been warned :beatnik:

if im not mistaken, the texas chainsaw massacre was supposed to have been based on ed gein, although i couldnt see any resemblance between the stories!

If I'm not mistaken, there was a big TCM debate on this forum not too long ago... I shall dig it up. Basically it was all about the movie either being based on Gaine or not.

American Psycho, please don't hate me, but even Christian Bale in all his sexyness did not make this an enjoyable movie yet everybody raved about it!

If I'm not mistaken, there was a big TCM debate on this forum not too long ago... I shall dig it up. Basically it was all about the movie either being based on Gaine or not.

American Psycho, please don't hate me, but even Christian Bale in all his sexyness did not make this an enjoyable movie yet everybody raved about it!

but it was hilarious! when he was standing at the top of the staircase with the chainsaw or whatever it was, wearing only a pair of white socks! i laughed so much with that movie

if im not mistaken, the texas chainsaw massacre was supposed to have been based on ed gein, although i couldnt see any resemblance between the stories!

That's the thing. It is said to be based on Ed Gein (Psycho is also based on Ed Gein), but the story is so far-removed from the actual events that it's really fiction. Cidade De Deus is treated in a similar way. It's from a book written by a person who lived in a Brazilian favela called "Cidade De Deus" and the going-ons. It's shot in such a hyper-MTV style, though, that it looks more like Pulp Fiction and Natural Born Killers combined.

i just realised what film you are talking about, city of god, right? i never watched it because i was never in the mood but absolutely everyone who watched it loved it.

Hehe. That be the movie :beatnik: I saw it because of all the great reviews it received. This, then, created too much anticipation and I expected one of the greatest films to come from Brazil. I've seen Hector Babenco's Pixote and I thought that did the portrayal of Brazil's poverty and violence more justice because it does not glamourise/cosmeticise it.

I'm not getting paid to do this, but NetFlix is a great rental service with a wide variety of movies that even amazes me. You could go the extra step and subscribe to Facets Multimedia, but you'd have to be looking for the latest and greatest in indie cinema and be an art-house cinema purveyor. Try NetFlix for a couple of months and see if it is to your liking.

1. Thanks for the advice about Solaris, I'll watch it in 2 or three sittings

2. I have tried Netflix before. I really liked it, and used it all from last winter to the summer. I liked it because it had a lot of movies and even a lot of TV shows on DVD. I was the only one in my family who liked it though, because everyone else could just get whatever movie they wanted at Blockbuster. So my family cancelled it. How sad. I didn't get the chance to get many rare movies though, because I got mostly TV DVDs and at the time I was really into horror, and didn't realize the horror movies I liked were at the library. I might sign up for it with my own money during the summer, though.