70's rock vs 80's rock

usernameddr

There was a post about the 70's being the best year for rock. I thnk it was the 80's. What do you think?

80's

Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard

Sweet Child 'O' Mine by GNR

Money for Nothing by Dire Straights

Jump by Van Halen

Run to the Hills by Iron Maiden

70s

Band On The Run by Wings

Bohemian Rapsody by Queen

The Wall by Pink Floyd

It's hard to sday buy late 70's and all of 80's I do believe the best. So I say 80's is better.

I love 80's rock, most of it's big, showy and over-the-top, which is cool by me!

Power Ballads from the 80's truly rock :rockon:

I agree with edna that 70's rock is solid, I also think it's more 'grounded' and by people who had a REAL talent for what they were doing.

70´s rock was solid... 80´s was rather pop, techno, modern, new romantic, grunge, etc...

Those who did good rock in the 70´s kept on doing it in the 80´s...

I think this is the true key point. Most of the 80's music was bizarre and "new wave" which lasted a whole 8 years and then crashed and burned. 80's music was mostly crap other than some of the power ballads that came from the hair bands. Although most of the music they made was crap as well. 80's pop rock wasn't too bad, but the techno, electronica, and new wave stuff should just lie buried under 500 tons of dirt.

It was all the other weird crap that people tried to play that killed the decades.

What weird crap are you talking about?

I reckon it's really really good to have some bizarre stuff around, the 80's is known for how odd the music went, thats a positive, it made it different from any other decade :: :beatnik:

All the techno, electronica, and new wave music. It was bizarre, lacked good rhythm, lacked purpose, had little to no meaning, and was almost painful to listen to with some of the sounds they would play. Bands from the 80's did things to synthesizers that should never have been done. And as you can see they are no longer done today. There was just too much "playing around" and not enough music making in those 3 styles. "Put down the xylophone and pick up a guitar!" That's my quote to those bands.

All the techno, electronica, and new wave music. It was bizarre, lacked good rhythm, lacked purpose, had little to no meaning, and was almost painful to listen to with some of the sounds they would play. Bands from the 80's did things to synthesizers that should never have been done. And as you can see they are no longer done today. There was just too much "playing around" and not enough music making in those 3 styles. "Put down the xylophone and pick up a guitar!" That's my quote to those bands.

I disagree. I like the xylophone!

And their experimentation in the 80's has probably influenced more bands than we realise!

It all depends on when you grew up, I suppose.

80's music has it's merits. MTV is directly responsible for the watering down of the music of that time. First, it was, now, not only do you have to sound good, you have to look good. Then, it was, as long as you look good, that's the important thing.

Yes, boys and girls, in the final and cruelest irony, the very station dedicated to music, effectively killed it.

the cure werent always pop you know, they were considered goth initially and nobody mainstream liked them because of that. then they turned pop.

anyway, its always good to experiment, some of it didnt work, some of it was cool...

That's a good point, but they did turn out some good songs when they changed face.

And Foxy, you are definitely right, but I do believe that bands nowadays have "perfected" the usage of the instruments that were being experimented with in the 80's. Maybe that was the problem, in the 80's they didn't quite have the methods down perfectly and the sound just wasn't quite right. Of course, the instruments they were using were heavily influenced by modern technology which only got better as the years went on. Making the instrument more refined and allowing it to fit in better with the music.

I love 80's rock, most of it's big, showy and over-the-top, which is cool by me!

Power Ballads from the 80's truly rock :rockon:

I agree with edna that 70's rock is solid, I also think it's more 'grounded' and by people who had a REAL talent for what they were doing.

I agree with Foxy and Edna. Both decades had their merits, but if we are talking real talent, then the 70's wins.

i'd pick 90s rock. its the music i grew up with and was constantly surrounded by. the first rock song i ever loved was november rain when i was 5... or maybe 6. everything they did after that was a disappointment to me. even though my taste only got refined 5-7 years later.

but between 70s and 80s its a bit difficult...70s were more of a base for rock music from where into the 80s it became more about glam and big hair. but both defining points in rock.

I remember the early 80s, when there was a kind of revolution in music with punk, new romantic, techno and so... we were all saying that the 70s were a bad decade for music, the 60s were the good one!

Now I guess each decade has its good things... though I haven´t heard much new music in 2000...

I disagree. I like the xylophone!

At least you don't have to tune it, do you?

:headphones:

FIFTIES, MY CHILDREN ! But of course even those Great Rockers "borrowed" from the old Bluesmen. But really, the 60s was the greatest decade of the "Rock era" - just look at ANY good movie soundtrack nowadays. Also, browse over the lineups at Monterey and Woodstock. WOW. The 60s was literally divided in two. The first half was fairly "innocent", and the second half "semi-decadent" ?

:guitar:

An observation...."definately" must definitely be the most misspelled/misspelt word in the English language. (NOT having a go at you Andrew )! They don't teach spelling in schools anymore. We used to get Newsletters sent home with our kids from the Teachers which ALWAYS had at least one or more spelling errors. Our youngest son said about one of them "it's OK Dad. He's our Maths Teacher!"

:doh:

But really, the 60s was the greatest decade of the "Rock era" - just look at ANY good movie soundtrack nowadays. Also, browse over the lineups at Monterey and Woodstock. WOW. The 60s was literally divided in two. The first half was fairly "innocent", and the second half "semi-decadent" ?

:guitar:

I absolutelly agree with you... the imagination and creativity stuff in the 60´s got enhanced by technollogical advance in the 70s... I must say that much of the rock they did after mid-80´s is like muzak for me... though I admitt that since the mid 90´s there was a sort of revival, young groups made music imitating the sound of the 60s or 70s, and they sound pretty good... but the lack of creativity seems obvious for me...

I've always thought it was 'definite'. But I see so many times, it being spelled 'definate', that sometimes I wonder if I'm spelling it right. So, like a sheep, I go along with 'definate'.

Speaking of spelling, I just got my invitation in the mail for the Delaware Coalition for Literacy annual spelling bee. I placed 5th the year before last, and 2nd the year before that. I couldn't attend last year, due to schedule conflicts.

Anyway, sorry to hijack.

Carry on.