Ol' Blue Eyes!

PSYCHOcatholic

No one interpreted a song better than Sinatra. From the aching ballads to the swinging up-tempo charts, he was without peer. He chose great songs from Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter,etc. He hired the best arrangers with Nelson Riddle, Axel Stordahl, Gordon Jenkins and Billy May.

His 1950's Capitol sides are his best, followed closely by his '60s Reprise sides, imo.

:bow: :bow:

Fantastic man. Truly an icon and his music will definitely live on, no matter what kinda techno/dance/rap BS the future generation insists upon...

Anyway, I really wish I'd lived in his generation, cuz I don't know too many of his songs. :o

But my fave (like so many) is "My Way" followed closely by "Fly Me to the Moon" and "For Once in My Life"... :bow:

Great, great stuff. And very nice blue eyes, btw! :jester: :doh:

Hey Unc,

How about Queen Latifah as Ella for a bio-pic.

Let's submit our recommendations for the soundtrack.

Whadayathink.

We could mine the vaults and find some original / live tapes worthy of lip-synching,

and then show 'em how to pull it off.

Count me in! There are some great Sinatra/Fitzgerald duets, too. Morgan Freeman as The Duke? Don Cheadle as Satch?

Frank Sinatra starred in the movie Suddenly (1954 - Directed by Lewis Allen) a tense thriller about psychotic professional assassin John Baron (Sinatra) and his henchmen who take a local family hostage as they prepare to ambush the President of the United States at a whistle-stop visit to a rural town on a railroad line in central California.

In the notorious colorized version of this black-and-white film, Frank Sinatra is given brown eyes.

It's probably heresy in The Church of Sinatra, but if Hollywood ever decided to do "Sinatra/Old Blue Eyes/Chairman of the Board" ala "Ray," I think Harry Connick, Jr. might be able to lip synch his way through the movie. (I wonder if the actor who played "Johnny Fontaine" in "The Godfather" would do if the kid from New Orleans won't do?) Signed...a fan of Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Louis Prima, and...Chet Baker. :guitar:

What he said about Elvis :-

(1956) "His kind of music is deplorable, a rancid smelling aphrodisiac...It fosters almost totally negative and destructive reactions in young people."

(1977) "There have been many accolades uttered about Elvis' talent and performances through the years, all of which I agree with wholeheartedly. I shall miss him dearly as a friend. He was a warm, considerate and generous man."

:shades:

(*I wonder if the actor who played "Johnny Fontaine" in "The Godfather" would do if the kid from New Orleans won't do?) Signed...a fan of Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Louis Prima, and...Chet Baker.

*And a fan of Al Martino it seems.

Hey Darryl,ever seen the appearances Elvis made on Frank's TV Show? They seemed to get along very well like warm friends with lots of respect for each other. Don't believe everything you read.

Hi Uncle. Yes I saw a bit of one where they both sang each other's song. Elvis sang "Witchcraft" and I forget what Frank sang. I hate to say it, but Frank did the better job.

I DO like Frank Sinatra, always have. He's a great interpreter of a song, eg "The Lady Is A Tramp". He made some really good movies too - "Man With The Golden Arm" and of course the one that got his career back on track "From Here To Eternity". (THAT was a hot book back in the 50s). Also as Nathan Detroit in "Guys And Dolls". Digressing for a moment, it and "Little Miss Marker" were the two best Movie adaptations of Damon Runyon's excellent books. :)

I think Frank and many other established Musicians felt "Threatened" by Elvis - the same as Elvis and others did when the Beatles/ British Invasion hit the scene.