most influential band

Fife

This thread dosent concern the greatest or best band of all time, but more along the lines of what band has touched you personally throughout your life? Personally Alice in Chains is the most influential band in my life. Looking deeply into thier lyrics, and how Staley hated the addiction he was hooked on but couldn't stop. The way the music flowed ,and corresponding lyrics, seemed to instil this feeling. After the unfortunate calamities that became of him i took his music to heart and forced myself to quit my own addictions.

he he he... when I was eight and more I was a beatles fan... at 13, I understood the Rolling Stones were God and I admired them so much... Grace Slick and the Jefferson Airplane/Starship was my role model...

Leonard Cohen also was a great influence on me, as the Ramones... they have one thing in common... do you know what?

Oh, and Bob Dylan´s lyrics, of course...

Beat on the Brat

RAMONES

Beat on the brat Beat on the brat Beat on the brat with a baseball bat

Oh yeah, oh yeah, uh-oh

Beat on the brat Beat on the brat Beat on the brat with a baseball bat

Oh yeah, oh yeah, uh-oh Oh yeah, oh yeah, uh-oh

What can you do? What can you do?

With a brat like that always on your back What can you (lose?)

What can you do? What can you do?

With a brat like that always on your back What can you (lose?) lose?

(AT THE BEGINNING)

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I don´t think they stole this song from Leonard Cohen... Well, who knows???? The hidden part of Cohen, he he he...

No, what they have in common is that both have one album produced by Phil Spector... and I find it´s like the two extremes,,,

In my earlier days I was into The Smiths, U2, and the Police. The Smiths are a great band for a depressed teenager. I loved U2 because their songs had meaning. I first heard The Police through a friend of mine and I was hooked. All three of these groups had songs that I really related to and helped me find strength in during those difficult adolescent years.

Most INFLUENTIAL BANDS of all time:

1. The Beatles

2. Led Zeppelin

3. The Stones

4. Black Sabbath

5. The Kinks

6. Pink Floyd

7. The Ramones

8. Cream

9. The Who

10. The Clash

11. Lynyrd Skynyrd

12. Queen

13. Nirvana

Most influential solo artists

1. Bob Dylan

2. Neil Young

3. Jimi Hendrix

4. John Lennon

5. Elvis Presley

6. Elton John

7. Bruce Springsteen

8. Alice Cooper

9. Janis Joplin

10. David Bowie

11. Eric Clapton

12. Carlos Santana

13. Paul Simon

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

i think when i (re)discovered nirvana was THE most influential portion of my lif becasue thats what got me completely into rock. i liked u2 bedore that though. i liked the profundity of their lyrics which weren't made while they were high so they actually made sense and sounded good. then i like the crash test dummies...their music style and the very unique lyrics they're known for. then came blind melon and the easy-to-listen-to lemonheads

Edna, this thread was about the most INFLUENTIAL bands and artists. I love Bob Seger, but I've never really heard anyone say, "Yeah, I wanna be just like Bob Seger when I grow up!" or "I think I'm gonna move to Detroit because Bob Seger's from there." :laughing: Just kidding...he would get an honorable mention, though (probably top 30).

A few of the bands/artists I named, I really don't care a lick for, but they are very influential, by virtue of either their singing, songwriting, guitar playing/piano playing, etc, or just simply their attitude and stage presence.

There were countless artists that have been influenced by the above mentioned. You could hear or see it in their music, their lyrics, their stage show. Sometimes they may not even realize it or acknowledge it, but the influence is definitely there.

The ones I listed are the ones I feel are the most obvious.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

In no particular order

solo artists...

1. Alice Cooper

2. Eric Clapton

3. Chris Isaak

4. Lionel Richie

5. Elvis Presley

6. Elton John

7. Bruce Springsteen

8. Marvin Gaye

9. Paul Weller

10. David Bowie

bands...

1. The Cure

2. Simply Red

3. Queen

4. Roxy Music

5. Heart

6. U2

7. Scorpions

8. Journey

9. Sisters Of Mercy

10. KISS

When I was an angry little girl, Metallica were the most influential band in my life. Now I am slightly older and slightly less angry, my salvation comes in the form of The Ramones, The Beatles, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, Bob Seger, Bruce Springsteen, The Eagles and KISS.

Especially The Ramones. :thumbsup:

This thread dosent concern the greatest or best band of all time, but more along the lines of what band has touched you personally throughout your life? Personally Alice in Chains is the most influential band in my life. Looking deeply into thier lyrics, and how Staley hated the addiction he was hooked on but couldn't stop. The way the music flowed ,and corresponding lyrics, seemed to instil this feeling. After the unfortunate calamities that became of him i took his music to heart and forced myself to quit my own addictions.

Hmm. For me, it started with The Smiths and Morrissey. Without them, I wouldn't be here... er, I mean, I wouldn't be into music at all. All through HS, they were a main staple. I grew up to the sound of their tunes. Strangely enough, I went backwards. Started with Morrissey's Vauxhall And I and began buying the albums in descending order. I had the shirts, the posters, the hair :elvis: everything Moz. Weird ;) I grew out of it and into Depeche Mode. It's been DM for many years; even nowadays their music carries a lot of power and influence over me. Here are a few other bands and singers:

Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry

Chris Isaak

Japan/David Sylvian

Death In June