Great Courtroom Scenes

Kevin

If you're like me, you enjoy a movie that has an actor(s) doing a great, moving and clever courtroom performances either as a lawyer, accused, witness, etc. Great lawyer characters make you want to go out and champion a cause or at least wonder why your lawyer isn't half as passionate about your case !

Probably many will agree that Gregory Peck's performance in "To Kill A Mockingbird " is tough to top, but there have been many other great ones.

Al Pachino in "And Justice For All" --'Out of order ? This WHOLE court is out of order !"

Paul Scoffield in "A Man for All Seasons" -- " Master Rich, it profits not a man to sell his soul for the whole world...but for Wales ?"

and many others ... Any favorites ?

For me, nothing will ever top 'A Time To Kill' when Matthew what's his name describes what that little girl went through

being brutalized, and at the end says , "Now imagine she's white"

Whew. You talk about placing someone else's pain right in your heart. Truly made the all white jury realize that pain and suffering is something everyone can feel. And, it was a complete surprise to the audience. There was an audible gasp in the theater.

That's one that has never left me.

Also, Kevin Bacon's performance in 'Murder in the First' was moving.

I love the scene in the movie "Inherit The Wind" where Henry Drummond (played by Spencer Tracy) cross examines Matthew Harrison Brady (played by Frederic March). Brady is a charismatic, fundamentalist leader who is prosecuting (on behalf of the state of Tennessee) a teacher for teaching his students Darwin's theories about evolution. A man of strong convictions, Brady is brought nearly to tears by the relentless questioning of Drummond, the lawyer who is defending the teacher. This is definitely one of the most powerful courtroom scenes ever done. The film is based on the famous Scopes Monkey Trial. To Kill A Mockingbird and The Devil & Daniel Webster also contain two of my favourite courtroom scenes. :coolio:

Uncle, that was great ,too ! Though your certain he'll win , your just not sure HOW he'll pull it off.

Another I liked was Daniel Day Lewis' speach (as the accused John Proctor) before he's to hang in 'The Crucible'. Though having Millar's script doesn't hurt either ! :thumbsup:

On Amazon, they have The Top 15 Courtroom Flicks of All Time....

1. The Verdict

2. Anatomy of a Murder

3. To Kill a Mockingbird

4. A Few Good Men

5. A Time to Kill

6. Witness for the Prosecution

7. Inherit the Wind

8. Philadelphia

9. 12 Angry Men

10. A Civil Action

11. Runaway Jury

12. The Rainmaker

13. Presumed Innocent

14. The Firm

15. Liar Liar

Although some dont have courtroom scenes. Most of them have to do with lawyers, court, jury...all that jazz.

On Amazon, they have The Top 15 Courtroom Flicks of All Time....

1. The Verdict

2. Anatomy of a Murder

3. To Kill a Mockingbird

4. A Few Good Men

5. A Time to Kill

6. Witness for the Prosecution

7. Inherit the Wind

8. Philadelphia

9. 12 Angry Men

10. A Civil Action

11. Runaway Jury

12. The Rainmaker

13. Presumed Innocent

14. The Firm

15. Liar Liar

Kevin mentioned And Justice For All...it had what is probably the best court room scene I ever saw. Pacino was great in that movie as well as the judge played by Jack Warden. This is a must see movie...one of Pacino's best!

Another great one was Jack Nicholson in A Few Good Men which is mentioned in your list above. I see John Grisham made the list four times. Figures!