List #3

Sara

"Trash" ~ Alice Cooper

"Trash"

Dark, sleazy and sounding better than the 1989 parallels. Alice Cooper still has his snarling voice and sneer in his simply catchy words. Adding to the smile-metre is the fact that this album is more heavy metal than hair metal.

What sucked most people into this album is the irresistible hit single ?Poison,? not only one of Coopers essential anthems but one of the best hair metal tunes of the eighties. Other stand out tracks might include the gritty yet smooth snarl of ?Bed of Nails,? or the heartache ballad of ?Hell is Living Without You.? All the songs on this album are about a girl. He either loves her, hates her, wants her back, wants her dead or just wants her.

You either love or hate this album, but to me it is a superb album which introduced me to Alice Cooper.

'Showbiz' by CUD.

Probably their most accessible album, along with 'Leggy Mambo', this record is one of my all time favourites. Guitar based, with a very English wordyness and a hint of camp, I really don't know how CUD failed to make it big.

XXX and Earth Angel - if you can download it from anywhere, from what I know about your taste you will both love it to bits.

Regards

'Showbiz' by CUD.

Probably their most accessible album, along with 'Leggy Mambo', this record is one of my all time favourites. Guitar based, with a very English wordyness and a hint of camp, I really don't know how CUD failed to make it big.

XXX and Earth Angel - if you can download it from anywhere, from what I know about your taste you will both love it to bits.

Regards

Hmmm. Strange. You guys should post one song or a sound byte so we could hear it.

B000000HZZ.jpg

I'm STILL pushing for Japan :beatnik: This time around, I'm going with their sophomore release on Virgin Records in 1980 titled, Gentlemen Take Polaroids. If 1979's Quiet Life was how New Romantic was made, Gentlemen was how New Romantic was perfected. Every track in this album is a ssssolid classic. Casual listeners won't be disappointed. This album came out at a time when every song in an album was given as much focus and importance as the marketed single. Therefore, not only is the title track one of the highlights of this album, but also the lesser known album cuts "Experience Of Swimming," "My New Career," and "Swing." The whole album maintains this cool, sophisticated atmosphere that music listeners have felt previously from bands and singers like Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music, and David Bowie (and with good reason since they served as musical and aesthetic inspiration for David Sylvian). The best song in Japan's career is also included in this album: "Methods Of Dance" :drummer: (I will post this song later). All in all, 80s New Wave and New Romanticism doesn't get better than this. Not NewOrder, not OMD, not Depeche Mode, not Duran Duran. The epicentre of the scene lies with Japan.

qltitle.jpg

"Southern Rock Opera" by The Drive-by Truckers

It's an entire 2 disc album dedicated to the original line-up of Lynyrd Skynyrd. It's basically a modern Southern Rock band showing their appreciation to the group that started a new wave of music. The lyrics are well written and the guys have very raspy voices that have limited ranges which truly emphasise what Southern Rock is all about. You won't find glamerous dance songs or pop tunes or anything that Billboard would care about, but to revive Southern Rock for a younger generation, this is a great band (and album) to get into. The guitar play is deep and rich and doesn't succumb to the regular guitar play found in the world of pop rock or other corporate made bands. These guys are true to their roots in the South and the music shows their ability to bring the sounds of the past to the generations of today.

Wave Of Mutilation, The Best of The Pixies- The Pixies

The Pixies are, without a doubt, one of the most influencial bands to come out of the post-punk era (about 1987-'91(2)) This was the era that gave life to The Pixies, and Sonic Youth, and other great artists, this was the era that paved the way for the grunge revolution to take place. The Pixies were a direct influence on Nirvana's musical and lyrical style (the riff to 'SLTS' is found on the Pixie's song 'University of Massachusetts' which is included in this best of package.)

This collection spans The Pixies entire (short lived) career (well, they just got back together, so to say entire would be an overstatement) and is an awesome collection, every single track is golden and a great listen. Some highlights are 'Hey' which is this great kind of melodic song, in which nothing makes sense, but it sounds great, and plus it has a great jam in the middle of it.

'Monkey gone to heaven' is also a great jam song.

'Where Is My Mind?' words cannot describe how awesome this song is, it's got this great (simple) distorted guitar part mixed with a synth voice that creates a super-eerie/mellow effect.

'University of Massachusetts' is the ultimate song to listen to when you just want to go out and kick some butt, it's so primal that you can't help but enjoy it.

I'll end this Pixies-pimping session with a quote from Bono

"The Pixies are one of the greatest American bands ever"

Good choice Scott. I got that CD over Christmas, and I love it too!

XXX - some CUD lyrics:

The Mystery Deepens

It's the first time in my life that I've given a damn,

'Cos you see I'm in love with Miss Thing,

And her beautiful thang,

I only wanted to grow fond,

Yet the mystery deepens with each wave of her wand,

The the mystery deepens with each wave,

Of her wand,

Take the stuffing out of your bra,

It's only there to disguise how wonderful you are,

How wonderful you are.

She spends her time just sleeping,

While the mystery deepens,

With each wave of her wand.

Fogiveness is God's job,

And it sure ain't mine,

Right time wrong place,

I'll pay you in kind,

I haven't got any money,

that doens't mean I don't want you,

Please give me a chance to explain.

How can I take the blame?

I don't know what you dream,

But I've seen so many things,

That don't seem what they seem,

Is that your natural colour?

Because if it is there's really no need to bother,

There really is no need,

I'm sure you'll discover,

We always make love so lazy,

You seem to reach deep inside of me,

Your rouge comes of in my hand.

Regards

I still stand firmly for the ones I already suggested for list #2, I'll keep beating that drum while suggesting only one more... ok, ok, two more .. believe it or not they are BOTH PINK FLOYD albums, "Relics" and "Obscured by Clouds" sweetest ear candy there is. Good ol' fashion early Floyd. After all... It's Floyd for crying out loud!!

"Relics"... sweetest ear candy there is. Good ol' fashion early Floyd.

"Relics" is a little masterpiece... Is that their first album or a compilation of their first singles/songs...? I had it years ago but I never quite knew, I always thought the first was "A saucerfull..."

"Relics" is a little masterpiece... Is that their first album or a compilation of their first singles/songs...? I had it years ago but I never quite knew, I always thought the first was "A saucerfull..."

Not their first, here is a list of the early years leading up to DSotM in chronological order...

• The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
  • A Saucerful of Secrets
  • More
  • Ummagumma
  • Atom Heart Mother
  • Relics
  • Meddle
  • Obscured by Cloud
  • Dark Side of the Moon

I have to agree. A classic, with not a single throwaway song. That album was done during a very emotional, turbulent time for all the members of the band, and the songs all stand for some aspect of that. True, heartfelt, raw emotion always leads to very good music.

great choice.

One of my favorite classic rock albums is Fleetwood Mac Rumours..it's a classic and even my kids who are 16 and 18 love it!...this is one album I can listen to and not skip through to a certain song...

It is indeed a good album. I heard years ago and am not sure if this is true, but Rumours is suppose to be the only album to have all of it's songs in the top 100 for the year, which I believe was 1977. Can anyone confirm this?

True, heartfelt, raw emotion always leads to very good music.

I know I´m getting fired for this, but "The winner takes it all" was written during the divorce of Benny or Bjorg and AnniFrida or Aghnetta...

It´s one of my favourite songs ever...

Well, I´m a woman after all... :shades:

I know I´m getting fired for this, but "The winner takes it all" was written during the divorce of Benny or Bjorg and AnniFrida or Aghnetta...

It´s one of my favourite songs ever...

Well, I´m a woman after all... :shades:

I prefer the dry, demure swan-song, "The Day Before You Came," and add my own emotions to it :beatnik:

I prefer the dry, demure swan-song, "The Day Before You Came," and add my own emotions to it :beatnik:

"The Day Before You Came" is beautiful, I love the endings to each verse..

And still on top of this I?m pretty sure it must have rained

The day before you came

Oh yes, I?m sure my life was well within it?s usual frame

The day before you came

It?s funny, but I had no sense of living without aim

The day before you came

And rattling on the roof I must have heard the sound of rain

The day before you came

Robin Trower "Bridge Of Sighs"

I had to mention Robin Trower as I think he is a fine guitarist and this album is stunning.

Guitarist Robin Trower's watershed sophomore solo disc remains his most stunning, representative, and consistent collection of tunes. This 24-bit digitally remastered 25th anniversary reissue, which tacks on five live tracks adding nearly 25 minutes to the original playing time, actually improves upon the original. Mixing obvious Hendrix influences with blues and psychedelia, then adding the immensely soulful vocals of James Dewer, Robin Trower pushed the often limited boundaries of the power trio concept into refreshing new waters. The concept gels best in the first track, "Day of the Eagle," where the opening riff rocking morphs into the dreamy washes of gooey guitar chords that characterize the album's distinctive title track that follows. At his best, Trower's gauzy sheets of oozing, wistful sound and subtle use of wah-wah combine with Dewer's whisky-soaked soul-drenched vocals to take a song like the wistful ballad "In This Place" into orbit. "Too Rolling Stoned," another highlight and one of the most covered tracks from this album, adds throbbing, subtle funk to the mix, changing tempos midway to a slow, forceful amble on top of which Trower lays his quicksilver guitar. The live tracks, although similar to the album versions, prove that even without overdubs and the safety of the studio, Trower and band easily convey the same feel, and add a slightly rougher edge, along with some low-key, crowd-pleasing flourishes. One of the few Trower albums without a weak cut, and in 2000, unfortunately one of the only ones still in print in the U.S., Bridge of Sighs holds up to repeated listenings as a timeless work, as well as the crown jewel in Robin Trower's extensive yet inconsistent catalog. ~ Hal Horowitz, All Music Guide