Worst musical decade (in our century)

Batman

I think the worst is the 80s, because everything sounds so fake. :thumbsdown: The only good 80s music was Guns n Roses, and the eighties were almost over by then. Also, the 80s lyrics were stupid stuff like, "Come on Feel the Noise, Girls, rock the boys." and "Here I am! Rock you like a hurricane!"

but thats just my opinion.

I agree with MusikTyme. I think that today's state of music is pretty bad. Most of the current bands/artists are untalented and overmarketed. I remember someone saying that Britney Spears was 5% talent and 95% marketing. There are some very talented bands out there, but you never hear much about them.

You know...Saturday night I went to a "club" that had bands playing there. I was SO blown away by the amazing talent most of the bands possesed, there was this Ska Band (can't remember the name) but they were really great! They had a lead singer,3 guys on horns, a guitar player & I think a bass player. Wouldn't it be nice if people who are actually talented got noticed and we gave them a little more attention then...oh I don't know...all of these athlete's getting million dollar contracts because they can run and throw...Ladi-frickin-dah!

After seeing these local bands, it just made me realize that there is so much "real" talent that goes undiscovered and TOO much "almost" talent being exploided...tragic don't ya think?!

My dad likes to take me to a cafe where they play live jazz. Jazz isn't my favorite type of music, but I really enjoy listening to it live. I remember a guy named Ken Ford was playing there. He and his band were all extremely talented. The bassist pulled a slap bass solo along the lines of Les Claypool :bow:. The keyboardist really got into what he was doing, it sounded great. The drummer was absolutely amazing :drummer:. There was a guy doing percussion, he had a very original sound. And finnaly the violinist, so smooth and easy to listen to. I walked out amazed at this bands talent. :thumbsup:

I would agree right now the music is bad and many of the musicians are not talented but if you are like me and are able to ignore those that are untalented and listen to the underground bands who dont get much recognition or sometimes noticed at all then you can say music is pretty good. I love listening to music no one has ever heard of because when they come on the radio i can say i loved them before they got radio play.

well at first when i was going to edit my comment i was going to say that the worst decade in music was the eighties but then i started reading the rest of the comments and i noticed that it's kinda true that the decade that we're living in isn't that great either in fact it's kinda alike ; but i'm like tamuril i listen to underground music too because that's the music were u can still find some talented ppl not like the crap that's played on the radio , but music has it's ups and downs in all of the decades for example in the early nineties we had vanilla ice and new kids from the block that were both very stupid with poor creativity then we got Nirvana and Pearl Jam that put together what we call the grunge era ,finally sometinhg to listen too without making u sick ::, then we got Alanis Morisette and Sheryl Crow that lead the females in this decade with there originality and awesome lyrics ;then we went back to the crap that we're still listening to now! but anyways this is bound to end some day ! :googly:

I'm a big fan of underground music and one thing I've learned about underground is good underground doesn't stay underground long.

I remember back when Sabbath was considered underground, Nirvana and Pearl Jam too.

Wet Paint, a local radio station that comes on once a week plays nothing but new underground songs that have not reached the popular airwaves.

It was this station that I heard the likes of Nirvana and Pearl Jam, months before it hit national popularity.

Wet Paint is great, but like anything else, there is good and bad.

Sadly, there will aways be great bands that never become famous, just like people.

While the Britney Spears and Dr. Phils of the world become richer and richer.

I voted for 1900's, because before the 50's there was no Rock music, so naturally, those decades would be fit. From 1950-1999 ; I would go with the 50's as the worst decade (in my opinion as far as music taste, since I enjoyed the other four) but as everybody else has put, this decade has been much much worse.

It's too bad the early part of the 20th century isn't on that list because the commercial music that has come out since 1999 has generally been [bleep].

Alternative/underground stuff has been great though.

The 1990s was similar - underground good others bad. Although the grunge explosion gave rock the shot in the arm it needed and I'm thankful for that. Man I miss those days...

• 3 weeks later...

Man it ends and begins with the 80's......absolute worst

decade for music easily......I still get the jitters from

hearing a synthesizer.......so much crap it is hard to imagine....

Flock of Seagulls, Men at Work, Duran Duran, Cyndi Lauper, Madonna,Thompson Twins, Hair bands galore, Tonnes of sappy stuff......Man, it doesn't get any worse......brutal brutal decade for music...

::

I would have to say today, so Ill pick the 90's. I think the 1980's started out with a lot of promise...but lost its way musically around 1984. I think after Michael Jacksons Thriller went massive, other artists wanted to emulate the success of Thriller, and, as such, over produced their music. I loved Toto's Africa, Hall annd oats' Kiss On My List and (I think it was Split Enz's) Six Month In A Leaky Boat. I also loved Twisted Sister.

That being said, though, I think, as far as originality goes, the 1970's was the last time music was truely original. Disco (I know people dont like it much now, but I love it)and Punk were awsome and original...And Rap began to become mainstream.

So...90's (and today) the music SUCKED(S) big time.

The Best decade for music was the 1970's.

70's Music Lover

• 2 months later...

No can do, Chief. There wasn't one bad decade per se, but portions of certain decades. With that in mind, I'll say that 1985-1989 sucked royally. Then it happened again from 1996-1999. The 70s was probably one of the best decades all the way through.