Top 10 Songs of the Day

Carl

We have added a Top 10 Songs of the day list to the homepage. It's based on how many hits each song receives. This list will change throughout the day and be reset every 24 hours. It's a good way to see what songs people are interested in and gives people new to Songfacts and idea what we're about. It turns out "Stairway To Heaven" is a really popular song.

The weekly list is a link and works the same way.

Carl

Interesting. So the theory is that when a referenced, but invisible clock hits 00:00 (whichever time zone you use, Eastern?) a database of some kind smacks all numbers back to zero and starts again, counting the number of times a URL is reached? Does this also work with Random.lasso? Cool feature.

That's almost exactly right. There is a counter associated with each song that counts how many times it gets hit each day, week, and ever. The random feature works a little differently. It figures out how many songs are in the database, generates a random number, and picks a song assigned to that number. It's a good thing we have some very smart people working on this site.

Cool. Sorry about the extremely pesky question, Carl. I was just using my limited knowledge of spreadsheets, and better still, databases, to presume a couple things about the site.

Using even more presumption then, if there are (a specific number) of songs in the database (easily enough achieved by a sensible means of databasing and presence/alternate presence checking), we can see how many hits a particular song, a particular artist, gets within a day. Unfortunately, however, because they're .lasso based, this doesn't work half as well because people can so easily refresh and so on.

Anyhoodle.

• 1 month later...

By the songs being listed on the Top 10 list on the Songfacts homepage, does this not increase the number of hits they receive? It seems like this would restrict the list from changing throughout the day. Does this question make sense? :stars:

I will generally look at the Songfacts for the songs featured on the Top 10 list. These are songs that I generally wouldn't necessarily want to look at, but do. It seems like the list itself would perpetuate these songs staying on the list.

Eggplant, everything you say is true and pretty much makes sense. Simply by entering the list, the songs have a good chance of staying there for most of the day. It's a completely computer-driven process.

What's great about the list is that new users can get an idea of what the site is about by checking out the songs. How many times do you go to a website and leave because you have no idea what it does?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Unfortunately, however, because they're .lasso based, this doesn't work half as well because people can so easily refresh and so on.

This is the same sort of scheme I discovered one day, when trying to see if I could propel a song to the top of the charts, I simply used Auto-Refresh tab set at 45 second intervals, applied to my favorite song & watched it peak at #2 on the weekly list, it still couldn't match "Stairway to Heaven", no matter how long I left it on for.