Best of

invisible_r

along the lines of what Edna stated, GH compilations are also a convenient way for bands to fulfill contractual obligations to management / record labels without tipping their hand to what's next. And I also definitely recommend GH albums as a great starting point for people to familiarize themselves with a group they don't know, but personally I think albums (CDs now) that have a great song cycle - that flow along - are far more appealing than a roster of singles.

One of my fave compilations is "Metamorphosis", Rolling Stones. It´s not a Greatest Hits as the songs there are rarities. But it´s a good example of one of the things the labels do when they lose their top selling artists: find all odd unreleased material and make an album.

Best of Nirvana is good, too bad Cobain blew his own head off, what an idiot. I find it a bit annoying when bands release a greatest hits album, and they are still around, such as the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but it's still a good album. I think AC/DC's best of album would be a mixture of Back in Black and High Voltage. :rockon: :rockon: