Best of

invisible_r

My friend and I were having a discussion the other day and he said that when a band releases a best of, they are basically over. at first i disagreed with him, but when i thought about it a bit more, i found there was a bit of truth in there. what do you think?

sorry if this has been discussed before

It's a sure sign in some cases. Not all cases, though. Look at Elton John. His fist G.H. came out in what, 75 or 76?

I think a sure sign is when a bands put one out when they've only released 2-3 albums.

In other instances, they'll sometimes put one out with 1 or 2 new cuts, just to bide their time until they can release another full cd.

I think a sure sign is when a bands put one out when they've only released 2-3 albums.

I agree with JR. Greatest Hits albums after a couple of albums would be a sign the band has nothing new to come up with so instead of running into a studio to produce a new album, they re-release what they have.

One that comes to mind is Meat Loaf. I know he had a few albums (4 or 5) but basically his Bat Out Of Hell album is his greatest hits album. Not much came from him afterward (BOOH2 and Welcome To My Neighborhood were tragic mistakes).

On the other hand Greatest Hits albums of solid bands do not mean the band is faltering. Two bands that come to mind are The Eagles and Chicago. In the case of Chicago they have some thirty plus albums so a greatest hits album only highlights their pop hits. Somewhat the same for the Eagles.

JR: Elton was a great example.

when a band releases a best of, they are basically over.

That's not necessarily so. Most "Best Ofs" are released by record companies, not bands. It generally means that the companies have not had anything by the particular band to release for some time. It can also mean that that band has switched labels but the original company still owns rights to past stuff. Or, it can sometimes be done to take advantage of the fact that the band has a new album in the works. The big, successful bands like The Stones, The Beatles, The Kinks, etc. can have several Best Of releases over the years, though they are still working and recording

great new music.

Suffice it to say that Best Of's are usually a ploy to make money. How mercantile! But for people who are just discovering classic rock bands, Best Of's are a blessing.

The best Best Of's are the ones we burn ourselves. Shhhh .

That's not necessarily so. Most "Best Ofs" are released by record companies, not bands.

And that´s absolutelly true. The "Best of" records are a marketing trick in most of the cases, I worked in record labels and know something about it. And when they make a "Best of", they´ll never include ALL the real hits... so in the next "best of" they can put a couple of hits and they will keep on earning money. And these are the words of a A&R who used to be my boss...

Heres a blast from the past for you rachel:

when the thunder calls you,

from the mountain's high,

it´s time to spread your wings and fly,

(spread your wings and fly)

when the thunder calls you,

under purple sun

to the plase where horse´s run

when i saw your face

i knew you were the one

in a sky that filleds with rain

a ray of sun

i called you on the phone

said your happy on your own

when i heard you bodie cry

for my loove

your bodie´s calling me

your bódie´s calling

i think im fallin

(woooow)

chorus

a picture in my mind

a vision in a dream

when the storm destroyed

the bridge i walked across

have you ever fell alone

when you stood within i croud

on a path you thougt you knew

but feel alone

your bodie´s calling me

your bódie´s calling

i think im fallin

(woooow)

chorus

i all confused

like a child whit a choice of toys

so much to gain

so much to lose

like a pain you endure

more then enjoy

i guess i´m goin crazy

everyone´s tellin me so

do you feel the same

well it´s all i need to know

chorus

when the thunder calls you

(when the thunder)

from the mountain's high

it´s time to spread your wings and fly

(when it calls you)

under purple sun

to the place were horse´s run

(were the horse´s run)

(when it calls you)

from the mountain's high

(from a mountin high)

it´s time to spread your wings and fly

(when the thunder)

to the place where horse´s run

And here's a blast for me:!!:

Steam

Call me for the pleasure

You can call me for the pain

Call me on the phone

Or on the mental plane

I'll be the freak you need

I contain what U came 4

Come without Karma

To destruct the dancefloor

Rise to the top, never stop

Drop like cream

U bring the body and

I'll bring the steam

Love can love you

Love can heal you

Love can see you

Love can feel you

Love can warm you (oh babe)

Love can calm you

Love will help you

Love won't harm you

Steam, steam

There's no need to be afraid

Steam, steam

Let the lake of love flow

Steam, steam

2 night let's become one soul

Steam, x4

Steam, like a cream dream

Never stop rising

I'll rub you like a wave

Going out while the tides in

Precious bubbilicious

Hard or nice n' easy

Smooth with the move to sooth

Dry or greasy

Here is your harmony

Here is your friend

Kindred spirit of ethereal blend

Meet me on a cloud

Go on a journey, sure

I'll take your body on a mystery tour

The clock upon your wall

Is tickin' slower and slower

Time disappears as I go

lower and lower

I know your final fantasy

But I can't repeat that

Doubting about me

Bet you doubt, I'll defeat that

I'm your spiritual dancer

Your emotion enhancer

Anyway you wanna go

Whether below or on top

I'll love you down

All around in and out and all about

I got your drinkable water

I'm your lover non stop

Outside it's raining but inside is wet

My friend and I were having a discussion the other day and he said that when a band releases a best of, they are basically over. at first i disagreed with him, but when i thought about it a bit more, i found there was a bit of truth in there. what do you think?

sorry if this has been discussed before

Sometimes "Best Of" is the only way to bring all the really good songs onto one album when the original albums are now out of print or just hard to find. It's also a good way to introduce a good older band to the new generation of listeners. It's also cheaper than trying to hunt down 6 albums and buy them all even though sometimes they only contain a couple songs on each that are good but didn't make it on the "Best Of" album. But I don't think it spells the end for everyone.

Sometimes "Best Of" is the only way to bring all the really good songs onto one album when the original albums are now out of print or just hard to find. It's also a good way to introduce a good older band to the new generation of listeners. It's also cheaper than trying to hunt down 6 albums and buy them all even though sometimes they only contain a couple songs on each that are good but didn't make it on the "Best Of" album. But I don't think it spells the end for everyone.

I agree with you, Addict. In fact, I love some "Best ofs". It only bothers me when it´s a compilation of songs I know so well coz I have the original album, so when, for instance, "You won´t see me" is over, I NEED to listen to "Nowhere man"... that´s a soundtrack which can´t be broken... That was very annoying with the Stones, coz they had many "Best of" and I was so used to the albums...

There is also some jewels in the albums which will never be on a "Greatest Hits", so you´ll miss some good songs...

My fave compilations are those which have the top hits of some year... you can find relics there!

But yes, I´ve done myself lots of "Best of" on tapes and cds for me, for my friends...

If I've got nothing by a band but always liked what I've heard, I will get a 'best of' nowadays, as I haven't the time to start at the beginning. If it is a band that I already have a progression of albums however, I find it hard to listen to a 'best of', because it just doesn't seem right somehow.

Regards

I'm wondering who has the most "Greatest Hits" compilations. I would have to guess either Bob Dylan or The Beatles.

I would say Bob Dylan... I have seen tons of best ofs of all kinds... The release of the Beatles song has always been more under control... McCartney is richer than Dylan!! (that means he is wiser...)

I don't think a GH album means a band is over. It seems to be not only a way to make more money but maybe even to organise a bunch of albums. As soon as I read this thread i thought of rhcp. They came out with a best of in '92 and now they've got out another best of and i don't think its fair to say they're over

I would say Bob Dylan... I have seen tons of best ofs of all kinds... The release of the Beatles song has always been more under control... McCartney is richer than Dylan!! (that means he is wiser...)

I think Dylan has more "Greatest Hits" albums, but The Beatles are featured on way more compilation albums than Dylan. Same with The Who, they have a bunch of "Greatest Hits" and are featured on a bunch of compilation albums.