controversial songs

jman14141414

lets see... George Michael's 'i want your sex' was pretty controversial back then tho i think in comparison to the stuff we see now, it was nothing much. Just how controversial i dont know cuz i was a mere babe.

Nirvana's 'Rape Me' had to be renamed 'Waif me' for a live appearance (where?)

And i saw this on mtv or vh1. If you play one of ozzy's songs backwards (don't remember which one) it carries suicidal messages 'get the gun, get the gun, shoot shoot shoot'

similarly with stairway to heaven i read that if you play it backwards you hear three lines to satan.

personally i think all this backward messages is pure crap. how devoid of a life are you if instead of hearing a good song you go around playing it in reverse to see if it has any satanic messages? how do you play songs in reverse anyway? and how do the poor picked-on bands know what a sentence would sound like if they rewound it?

And i saw this on mtv or vh1. If you play one of ozzy's songs backwards (don't remember which one) it carries suicidal messages 'get the gun, get the gun, shoot shoot shoot

The song was Suicide Solution, and people thought the song meant suicide was the solution to your problems, but it was more or less a tribute to Bon Scott. The song does NOT condone suicide.

The Kingsmen - Louie Louie, thought to be about sex, although the lyrics were hard to understand and nobody could figure them out

Pink Floyd - Run Like Hell, seems skinheadish, but was actually sarcastic

Dead Kennedys - Kill the Poor, again sarcastic

Nine Inch Nails - Closer, the song is pretty explicit, and the video is very edgy

Cannibal Corpse - any song, I can't print the titles here! I don't like them though, they play pretty bad music

Byrds - Eight Miles High, drugs

come to daddy is probably controversial on its own, i.e. its not just the video "i want your soul, i need your soul". i thought it was a bit scary when i first heard it, but the video its quite creepy too! my boyfriend bought it when we went to an exhibition called "beauty and horror"at the royal acaemy of arts, and they had some chris cunnigham videos.

well, if you go into videos, then you have "rock dj" (robbie williams), which was banned, "firestarter" (prodigy)caused outrage, and "gay bar"(electric six) apparently is not shown in the us because the guy is dressed as lincoln

(well i did watch the 100 greatest pop videos the other day)

I watched a bit of that too. There was this one video where the guy was only on the tv, and it was all robot manecin things. It was freaky,one of them was in the bed and it looked like it was (Too rude to say) under the sheets.

• 4 weeks later...

one that comes to mind is "Deanna" by Nick Cave, where he describes how he rapes her...

NO WAY! I haven't listened to that song in a long time. I remember hearing this many years ago when I didn't know much English and thinking it was their best song! :P

Adding to this list I'd say Death In June. Pretty much their whole music catalogue and performance shows. The guys sometimes come in dressed in military fatigues or in SS uniforms, and the songs make references to fascism and, strangely enough (or not), open homosexuality.

"Satisfaction" : suggests a guy won't get sex due to the girl's menstruation

"God save the Queen"/ "Anarchy In The UK" --Sex Pistols : for obvious reasons... Lese Majesty

"The Guns Of Brixton" --The Clash :Pointed a finger at the police for using unnecessary force ...also "Black Boys on Mopeds" --Sinead O'Conner (Racism in England's police)

"Sunday Bloody Sunday" --U2 : As a fairly new and unknown band, some thought this was a song in support of Irish Republicanism and/or the IRA.

NO WAY! I haven't listened to that song in a long time. I remember hearing this many years ago when I didn't know much English and thinking it was their best song! :P

he likes his controversial songs. what about "wild rose", he does kill her in the end!

its the same with "50 feet of pure white snow", i thought he was refering to children lost in a snowstorm or something, how naive, but its a reference to heroin or cocaine/.

one that kinda comes to mind is krokus' "eat the rich", a personal favorite of mine, that includes the line, "gonna get myself an axe, break some heads & break some backs!". is all about a vengeance thing directed toward a former gf("she's no lady, she's a b****"). love the guitars in the tune, 'tho. :guitar:

or, now that i've thought about it some more(after being overserved at the corner pub), OVERKILL's F*** YOU!!!! album was pulled in most stores here on the west coast of florida when it wsa released back in the late 80's....it featured 'the finger' on the cover, as well as an overdub of bobcat goldthwait in the title track. needless to say, it received absolutely NO airplay on the AOR rock stations of the day, & had a lot of the holy rollers up in arms. they actually used to conduct book/record burnings back in the day...stupid bastards. :guitar:

• 8 months later...

In 1982,UK anarchist punk band CRASS became the subject of Parliamentary questions and were placed under MI5 surveillance, following their release of a single called "How Does It Feel to be the Mother of a Thousand Dead?", which called reigning Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher to account for the callous, politically-motivated slaughter of British and Argentinian soldiers in the Falklands War.

Crass were very popular on the "non-mainstream" music scene at the time, and their record went straight to the top of the "Indie" Charts, otherwise this single mightn't have caused such a kerfuffle.

Only a year or so previously, CRASS had caused a bit of a stir when they managed to "con" a popular women's bridalwear magazine into using a spoof track of theirs as a "freebie" to promote the magazine. This track, "Our Royal Wedding Souvenir", satirised the "Fairytale Romance" mythology surrounding the Charles / Diana wedding fiasco. The hoax was so clever and the satire so subtle that the Magazine Editors never suspected a thing, and several thousand of these right-royal pisstakes were distributed without it costing the band a penny.

Arguably, in being motivated by genuine political convictions and going beyond the image-conscious shock tactics employed by the earlier UK "punks", Crass were more controversial than the Pistols, Clash et al., probably having more in common with the Jello Biafra/DKs approach.(Not that similar musically tho', I have to say).

But if you're into genuinely controversial, political punk music, they're worth checking out.