What does Brass in Pocket mean?

MrWiggly

I am asking about the popular song by the Pretenders. This song has lots of cryptic words. Thanks to the information super highway, I know a fews things. I know that "Skank" is to move one's body rhythmically from side to side, moving the arms along with the rest of the body. "Reet" means righteous. And "got bottle..." is British slang meaning "courage or confidence".

:help: But what does "Brass in Pocket" mean?! Does she want to knock out her object of affection with brass nuckles? The only thing I learn from this site was the meaning behind the phrase, "It's cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey."

Thanks, Diggs. I looked up "brass in pocket" on urbandictionary.com, which led to quite a few close hits on "brass" and "pocket". "Brass" may also mean bad, a prostitute, having no money, to shoot, to have courage, or to just express displeasure. I had no idea "brass" was so versitile. Oh...and you don't want to know what a "clown pocket" is.

Thanks, Diggs. I looked up "brass in pocket" on urbandictionary.com, which led to quite a few close hits on "brass" and "pocket". "Brass" may also mean bad, a prostitute, having no money, to shoot, to have courage, or to just express displeasure. I had no idea "brass" was so versitile. Oh...and you don't want to know what a "clown pocket" is.

I can't believe you're relying on Urban Dictionary.... :bow: :bow: :laughing: :laughing: :doh: :doh:

Can you show a link to that site Foxy? I like the sound of it.

Mr Wiggly, unfortunately I have heard the expression 'clown's pocket' before. I don't know which context you mean, but my understanding is akin to throwing a chipolata sausage down the channel tunnel.

Regards

I looked for "clown's pocket" at http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/ and found out that mentioning it in mixed company could get you a black eye and a kick to the family jewels. (That is, if you said that some woman had a "clown's pocket.") It's 1330 here, so I'm going out for some "clown food" since I'm tired of the usual ketchup & banana sandwich. ::

In the video for that song, she's a waitress, which made me believe the "brass" was the change she would get for tips. I got the sense she was scraping by, trying to earn a living, but she had bigger dreams.

The Pretenders are interesting because they are a British band with a lead singer from Ohio. Apparently, some British slang rubbed off on Chrissie Hynde.