Short-lived Bands You Like

CanAm

wow i adore portishead!!!! i listen to dummy at least once a fortnight... it's amazing! beth is a fabulous singer, i have her new solo album too and it's lovely though not quite the same. as far as i know portishead have split which makes me very sad cos they're one of those bands i would have just loved to see live :puppyeyes:

they ve split up? :( i guess i discovered them too late, i would love to see them live too, especially since ive been told that they used to do gigs in really small venues

The Darling Buds were around for a couple of years in the eighties. Their album 'Said...Pop' is well worth it if you like jangly guitars and lyrics about relationships.

Regards

They were good, I remember now... I saw them live, I had the record... And "Voice of the Beehive", thy were also good and had a funny album, very pop "Let it Bee"... I never heard about them anymore. Or Timbuk 3...

just wanted to add this seeing as we mentioned portishead, one of my favorite songs, "glory box"

"I'm so tired of playing,

Playing with this bow and arrow,

Gonna give my heart away,

Leave it to the other girls to play,

For I've been a temptress too long.

Hmm just,

Give me a reason to love you,

Give me a reason to be,

A woman,

I just wanna be a woman.

From this time, unchained,

We?re all looking at a different picture,

Through this new frame of mind,

A thousand flowers could bloom,

Move over, and give us some room.

Yeah,

Give me a reason to be,

A woman,

I just want to be a woman.

So don't you stop, being a man,

Just take a little look from our side when you can,

Sow a little tenderness,

No matter if you cry.

Give me a reason to be,

A woman,

It's all I wanna be is all woman.

For this is the beginning of forever and ever,

It's time to move over ,

So I want to be.

I'm so tired of playing,

Playing with this bow and arrow,

Gonna give my heart away,

Leave it to the other girls to play.

For I've been a temptress too long.

Hmm just,

Give me a reason to love you"

A nice little band that formed in San Francisco in the 70's called Joy Of Cooking. They recorded 3 albums plus some songs that the record company added to compilation LP's.

The main movers were the two frontwomen Toni Brown and Terry Garthwaite. Their harmonies were sweet and bluesy and sometimes downright rockin'. They were active in the Back to the Earth movement and some of their songs, particularly Closer To The Ground became anthems for the movement.

They deserved a lot more notice than they received. Their music is every bit as cogent today as it was then.

The two girls went on to record a few albums together and individually. They're both still performing today though I rarely hear about them here in Philly.

You can learn more here if interested... JOY OF COOKING

Shed 7

The Dandy Warhols

Gomez

Space

Stiltskin

Mazzy Star

The Wannadies

jj72

Reef

Spacehog

**Portishead**

There are so many good ones that were not around long enough :(

Many good bands listed there, Space was one of my favorites, that not many people knew about, I still, to this day, have "Female of the Species" in regular rotation on my car's jukebox.