Short-lived Bands You Like

CanAm

We've all discussed the greatest bands of all time, but what about bands you really like that had brief careers or were not commercially successful? Some of my favourite obscure bands are:

Quarterflash - a lead vocalist with a great voice and some catchy tunes. I believe the band originated in Seattle. I don't think they lasted for more than a few years.

The Fabulous Poodles - A quirky English band of the late 70's and early 80's. They were one of the few rock bands in which a fiddle played a prominent part. They only released two albums, which are difficult to come by. If you want to sample their music (definitely worthwhile), a CD entitled "His Masters Choice" was recently released. An excellent compilation!

Piper - This band featured a young Billy Squier. To the best of my knowledge, they only released one album entitled "Piper". A very good album indeed.

Budgie - This English band may have released more than two albums, but I've never been able to find more than that. They played hard rock, and I think they were really quite good.

Starz - They were a hard rock group out of New York state, I believe. I've only ever been able to find one album by this group, but it is a pretty good one. :coolio:

I used to like the Gin Blossoms. They had two albums of great melodic rock and then broke up.

They never broke up. The lead guitarist and songwriter committed suicide :puppyeyes: They're still around and toured California lately...

I like Rialto. They only had two albums as well. I don't think they ever broke up, but it seems as if they weren't fated to become huge.

the dandy warhols are still around, they released an album last year, although it wasnt as good as 13 tales.

portishead have only recorded 2 albums, and 1 live, im not sure whether they are ever planning to release something else.

jj72 were cool, i re-discovered them last month, maybe they ll release something again...

wow i adore portishead!!!! i listen to dummy at least once a fortnight... it's amazing! beth is a fabulous singer, i have her new solo album too and it's lovely though not quite the same. as far as i know portishead have split which makes me very sad cos they're one of those bands i would have just loved to see live :puppyeyes: