don't you hate it when...

Levis

you mention a certain band is your favourite and the person you're talking to tries to act all cool and with-it by naming the bands biggest hit. It happens whenever i mention nirvana (which is why i don't bring it up anymore). i get a 'o yeah...smells like teen spirit'. THERE ARE OTHER SONGS!!!

i used to have that with placebo, they were one of my favorite bands and "every you every me" became very popular because it was part of the cruel intentions soundtrack, so everyone loved placebo all of a sudden but they only knew one song.

same with the dandy warhols, and "bohemian like you" being in the vodafone ad. i think some people even called it vodafone song!

Many many people just don't take an active interest in music like we do.

They hear a song played on the radio, or on a TV show, and thats the last they see/hear of the group. Therefore to them it's the only song they've made.

'Another Brick In The Wall", and "Stairway To Heaven", are classic examples of exactly that.

And whilst it will always remain annoying that they only recognise these people by one song which perhaps isn't their best, all we can do is nod and say "Yes but did you hear this one by so & so? This is one of the greatest..."

Be happy you're being the educator :bow:

Yes, i absolutely dispise that it is especially bad with Green Day when people are like

"Lyk, omg, i luv billy joe he is lyk so cute, i luv thir 1st song American Idiot, their album is lyk sooo totally hard rock.!!!!!!!1111oneone1111!!!eleventwelvet221hirteen

I get so freekin' peed off about it that I ask them to name three of their early albums. i love the distant look on their faces.....

hehehehe mairi you are wickedly funny!!!!

i hate when this happens with jeff, you mention his name and nine out of ten people (who actually recognise his name to begin with) will say 'oh yeah hallelujah, deep'. grrrrr!!!! and they all sit around at their wanker student parties and get stoned and sing along to it without a clue of anything else about jeff. his own songs are so beautiful but people don't make the effort to listen. one guy tried to tell me that jeff died by jumping out of an aeroplane into a lake! such ignorance!!!

i know! what a plonker!! i think he must have heard the story which was that jeff drowned in the wolf river, while at the same time his band were flying into memphis to meet him and work on the new album. obviously he got a bit confused and mixed up the two things - foolah!!