Southern Rock

Addictedtoclassic

• 2 weeks later...

Thats alot like our Big Spring Jam every October. Its called Big SPRING Jam, cause it takes place in Big Spring Park.

Peaches! Next October...get YOUR a$$ up here! They got a BUTTLOAD of music. All you need is 20 bucks for weekend tickets and money for good beer, the best food in the south(even though most of it gives you the runs) But, its still the best! I used to go just for the food. Its expensive but worth it.

sooo PEACHES! would you make the 3 or 4 hour trip to the former capital of Alabama...Huntsville, Alabama...Huntsvegas as the locals call it. WOULD YA! We could meet up, except, you would still have to buy the beer, im underage.hmm..maybe if i give you the puppy eyes :puppyeyes:

workin? no...? didnt think so...that dang motherly stuff. Bring the Fam! if you wanna check it out...go to www.bigspringjam.org And if any other southern people are around alabama!

Psycho! I would totally drive 3 or 4 hours to 'Bama...the line-up from last year was pretty decent, so this year should be rockin', too.

And no, I will not buy you beer. Figure out how to make your own fake ID like the rest of us did. It's a rite of passage every person must go through, like puberty. ::

That's a good point. A lot of "country" now, sounds like the southern rock we used to listen to. But they come by that rightly, that's the music those country boys listened to. Vince Gill was with Pure Prarie League, and I have heard that Travis Tritt was with .38 Special, but don't know if that's true. I saw Lynard Skynard on a CMT special, and they fit right in with the country boys, or the country boys fit in with them! ::

Vince Gill DID play for Pure Prairie League, but Travis Tritt did not play for .38 Special.

I have a small problem with a lot of the modern country music. It reminds me too much of modern pop music. It all has the same format and fit a small grouping of themes and a lot of it sounds too corporate bastardized. The same thing they do in the pop music industry I see happening in the country music industry. It's become so commercial that a lot of the music sounds the same.

Country rock (also known as dirty country or outlaw country) just doesn't fit that form factor. They play whatever they want about whatever they want with whatever instruments they want. That's what I like about Southern and Country Rock, it never fits a form factor.

So can anyone tell me about:

1. Ozark Mountain Daredevils

2. Black Oak Arkansas

3. Drive-by Truckers

Ozark Mountain Daredevils had a couple great singles in the mid 70's ("Jackie Blue" and "If You Wanna Get To Heaven (You Gotta Raise A Little Hell)". Most of their stuff is hard, guitar-driven, Skynyrd-like, without the consistency of great, great tunes....but I really like them. I recommend their self-titled debut (1973), aka "The Quilt Album" because the cover looks something like a quilt. Or "The Best of..." is always a safe play.

Black Oak Arkansas has a sound like Molly Hatchet or Blackfoot, but with a lot of sexuality thrown in. The singer Jim "Dandy" Mangrum was the forerunner to David Lee Roth (long, blonde hair and tight spandex pants). Their biggest hit was probably a remake of "Jim Dandy (To The Rescue)". They were one of the first bands to use warning labels for explicit lyrics back in the 70's (However, I think they used the labels as a SELLING POINT.) It's not that dirty - more dirty innuendo that anything. These guys rock!! I recommend "High on the Hog", "Raunch N' Roll", and "X-Rated".

I never heard of Drive-Thru Truckers, so I can't help you there.

But we're all forgetting some of the best "dirty country guitars" with bands like Grand Funk Railroad, Bob Seger, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and especially Bad Company. If I had a country rock band, or if I was trying to learn that guitar style, I would listen to a lot of Bad Company. Though they were from Britian, their style was definitely comparable to American Country Rock. In fact, most every band has some songs comparable to this style. They just aren't from the South, don't have lyrics about the South, and don't have that accent like Ronnie van Zant or the Molly Hatchet guy: "Awwwwwwww Gator Country".

Listen to these Bad Co. tunes and see what I mean.

"Bad Company"

"Movin' On"

"Rock N' Roll Fantasy"

"Oh Atlanta"

"Shooting Star"

"Runnin' With The Pack" :bow: :bow: :bow:

and most anything else you could name by them.

Rock on, my friend.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

hey, i didn't realize how widespread the popularity of southern rock is. thats awesome. yeah, a really good band with southern rock style is CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival), even though im pretty sure there from cali, kinda strange. anyway check them out.

in response to whoever said cream influenced southern rock, how exactly is that. cream is one of my favorite bands, and i cant quite see the connection.

Hey addicted, I know you've heard of them but if want some great southern rock then definately get some Blues Travelers :rockon: :rockon: :bow: if you haven't already. Most popular songs are Run Around, The Hook, and But Anyways (seen playing during the credits on the movie "Kingpin"). If your looking for their best, then get Blues Traveler Classics. The live album that came out last year is also pretty good. Popper IS the the greatest living harmonica player today, and Blues Travelers is essential for any southern rock fan.

I also still recommend the CD I mentioned in a post above a while back, if you can find it anywhere.

hey, i didn't realize how widespread the popularity of southern rock is. thats awesome. yeah, a really good band with southern rock style is CCR (Creedence Clearwater Revival), even though im pretty sure there from cali, kinda strange. anyway check them out.

in response to whoever said cream influenced southern rock, how exactly is that. cream is one of my favorite bands, and i cant quite see the connection.

The reason is because Southern Rock is ultimately said to be a combination of Blues Rock, Country, and Hard Rock. And Cream was "hypothetically" the first real blues rock band to bring that style of music to the mainstream world of music. A lot of bands have stated influence by Cream (and ultimately the Yardbirds as well). With the Allman Brothers Band, the influence by Cream is much more apparent.

As for Blues Traveler, I like them. And that's a good suggestion for another album to check.