Musical Persecution

katie_sane

I loved 60's, 70's and 80's when I was at school (1994 - 1999 secondary school), and it was considered really uncool to like anything but the present day music, during those years I pretended to like alot of music just so I could stay in with my friends. Looking back I should have been honest with them and maybe I would have influenced their musc taste a bit more!!

Oh, sure! I had to hide my Bee Gees records in the late 60´s/early 70´s... I was supposed to :bow: :bow: :bow: Jimi, King Crimson, Stones, Jefferson Airplane, Led Zeppelin, you know... (which I did, but I also love the Bee Gees)

Then in work, while being an (supposed) expert in music such as Residents, Cure, Durruti Column, Tuxedo Moon, Japan and so, I rediscovered bubblegum and Motown... I used to leave my office at the TV to go to another one where some friends were making a pure pop TV show and watch old TV files from the 60s! Great time!

And when Prince and Madonna were the top of the top and I worked on another TV show, I discovered ABBA! I had to stand all kind of jokes!

Has anyone ever been persecuted for their musical tastes?? Like been knocked back, yelled at, argued with, punched, left out or made to feel a fool just because you think The Beatles had more influence than Destiny's Child?????

Punched?

Never feel you have to defend your tastes in music. It's all good.

I guess some of us are guilty of scrunching up our noses when someone says they like The Osmonds (for example). That's fine, we're allowed to disagree. But to criticize you for what you like? Punch? That's weak.

Do you punch back?

"Dan go back to the 1910's"

Loco--motion interlude:

Oh we're gonna do the Turkey Trot again

Just like they did it back in 1910

Yeah yeah yeah yeah

Come on and Turkey Trot

GobbleDiddley, Gobble GobbleDiddley

Come on, let's Turkey Trot

Let's get it while its hot

Do some Turkey Trottin'

And all your cares will be forgotten ~ Little Eva, Let's Turkey Trot (1963)

Punched?

Never feel you have to defend your tastes in music. It's all good.

I guess some of us are guilty of scrunching up our noses when someone says they like The Osmonds (for example). That's fine, we're allowed to disagree. But to criticize you for what you like? Punch? That's weak.

Do you punch back?

Disagreeing with people's musical tastes, that's fine. I'm talking about being ostracized because of their musical tastes, much more harsh than that. Being made to feel like a fool.

I was a punk in the early eighties. When my friends and I would go to shows, especially ones in Hollywood, the heavy metal big hair guys would always have some remarks for us, and we would have something to say back. Once in awhile, they would throw stuff and then there would be a fight...

they can try but they won't bring me down!! i think one, maybe two people tried to tell me i had bad taste. but not for long cuz it is a more widely accepted fact that i have amazing taste in music! eet eez yooneek and won ov a kind and a big huge enourmous :neener: to anyone who says otherwise... what do THEY know about music?

well, it seems like in 2004, in the Northwest at least, unpopular is far more popular than popular, if that makes sense. I think it has something to do with the Grunge scene happening here

I had to go and couldn't finish that thought. Anyways, the new stuff is popular here, which makes it unpopular. I don't think everyone's realized yet that bands like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd are popular now. Or maybe it's just my friends who like those bands. To answer your question, no I haven't.

My brother laughed himself silly once because I had bought one of those "Hits of the 60's" compilations, that included nothing but crummy songs, but it also had "Excerpt from a Teenage Opera", which I used to love as a kid, so I couldn't resist it. I bore the humiliation stoically, and got my revenge 20 years later when I found a record by The Carpenters in his very extensive, exquisite vinyls collection. He came out with a lame excuse, saying he had just bought it because Karen Carpenter's voice was unusual. Duuuhhh! Karen Carpenter had a wonderful voice, but their songs were kitsch and I caught him buying kitsch!