The Thread Of LISTS

OLD 55

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Sammy was joking Edna. :jester:

No, Darryl, not at all... I´ll look for the info... he might even meet Michael Jackson very soon and make some good things (music, I mean) together...

Phil Spector Says Slain Actress 'Kissed The Gun' Before Killing Herself

06.04.2003 3:33 PM EDT

Producer professes his innocence in July issue of Esquire magazine.

Phil Spector

In his first interview since he was arrested in connection with the February murder of Lana Clarkson, Phil Spector declared his innocence and said the actress shot herself.

The producer told Esquire magazine that Clarkson "kissed the

gun" before pulling the trigger (see "Woman Slain At Phil Spector's Mansion Identified").

"I have no idea why," he said in the magazine's July issue. "I never knew her, never even saw her before that night. I have no idea who she was or what her agenda was."

In the interview, a rambling Spector said he had no idea where Clarkson got the gun and alleged he called the police after the incident. Investigators did not returns calls for comment on Wednesday (June 4).

The producer, who has not been charged, also said she was loud and drunk and even grabbed a bottle of tequila from the House of Blues on Sunset Boulevard in West Hollywood where she was working before the two left together on February 3 (see "Phil Spector Met Shooting Victim At Club Where She Worked").

"She asked me for a ride home, then she wanted to see the castle," Spector told the magazine. "I was not drunk. I wasn't drunk at all. There is no case. She killed herself ... It's 'Anatomy of a Frame-Up.' I didn't do anything wrong. ... If they had a case, I'd be sitting in jail right now."

Although Spector, who was released after posting $1 million bail, claims he has been cleared, authorities are still investigating the case and say it will take months to gather evidence.

Spector's story differs from that of the investigators, who all but ruled out suicide in March (see "Lawyers, Investigators Address Alleged Phil Spector E-Mail Claiming Innocence").

The producer, who told a journalist he was "relatively insane" weeks before his arrest and certainly had that reputation (see "Phil Spector: Mad Genius, By Kurt Loder"), also used the Esquire interview to lash out at his attorney, O.J. Simpson defender Robert Shapiro, for allegedly charging him more than $1 million.

"When Robert came in, as a courtesy, as a favor, he shoulda gotten me outta jail," Spector said. "As a courtesy, not for seven figures. I've taken him for $300,000 worth of gifts and rides and plane trips. I wasn't a referral. I was his best friend."

Spector also said he was furious with another friend, lawyer Marvin Mitchelson, for talking about the case with reporters.

— Corey Moss

That´s an old article. Lately I know there has been some news, seems he could be declared guilty... I´ll have to check longer.

Phil Spector Charged With Murder

Updated 5:59 PM ET September 27, 2004

By GILLIAN FLACCUS

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Record producer Phil Spector was charged in an indictment unsealed Monday with murder in the shooting death of a B-movie actress at his mansion last year.

Spector, 64, leaned on the arm of his attorney as the indictment in the slaying of 40-year-old Lana Clarkson was read, but showed no emotion. Outside court, he railed at prosecutors, comparing District Attorney Steve Cooley to Adolf Hitler.

"The actions of the Hitler-like DA and his storm trooper henchmen are reprehensible, unconscionable and despicable," said Spector, who remains free on $1 million bail.

He spoke only briefly in court, answering, "Yes, your honor," to Judge David S. Wesley's questions. Lesley set Dec. 16 as the earliest possible trial date.

Spector, creator of rock music's "Wall of Sound" recording technique in the 1960s, suggested in an interview with Esquire magazine that Clarkson shot herself.

If he had been allowed a preliminary hearing, Spector said, his attorneys would have called to the witness stand three of the foremost forensic scientists and coroners in the world and each would have testified that Clarkson shot herself.

Prosecutors avoided a preliminary hearing by taking the case directly to a grand jury, which returned the indictments.

District attorney spokeswoman Sandi Gibbons said that was done in part to avoid any further delay in bringing Spector to trial for the Feb. 3, 2003, shooting.

"It's been almost two years since Ms. Clarkson was killed in Mr. Spector's home and it's time for a trial," she said. "We believe there is a crime. We charged a crime. And that crime is murder. Nothing is politically motivated in this case."

Prosecutors are not seeking the death penalty. Spector could receive a life sentence with the possibility of parole if convicted.

The judge agreed to keep the trial in Los Angeles rather than move it to Pasadena, closer to Spector's home in Alhambra. Attorneys for both sides expressed concern about the crush of reporters expected to attend it, and the courtrooms in Los Angeles are bigger.

Clarkson starred in Roger Corman's cult film classic "Barbarian Queen." She was working as a hostess at the House of Blues on the Sunset Strip and went home from there with Spector the night she was killed.

Does anybody know how I can do the "click here" trick? I should click on the URL, or the List Start, or what? Thank you!

Edna Sweetie, I know about that. I meant I thought Sammy was joking about my saying Phil Spector "could do no wrong", and I think Sammy was really saying "hey - didn't he kill somebody? Isn't that wrong?". That's why I said to him "No wrong MUSICALLY".

Here's that list of Brian Wilson's Top 10 . I posted them yesterday on the "Rolling Stone Magazine" thread, but they got deleted some how when the time was re-set there.

HOW'S THIS FOR BIAS. His first 5 are all Phil Spector produced and his second 5 all Beach Boys' songs and they're all 1960s songs. Not a very objective list at all, although it IS good to see some Girl Groups get recognition.

1. Be My Baby - Ronettes

2. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin" - Righteous Brothers

3. Walking In The Rain - Ronettes

4. Da Doo Ron Ron - Crystals

5. River Deep - Mountain High - Ike & Tina Turner

6. California Girls

7. Good Vibrations

8. Do It Again

9. I Get Around

10.Surfer Girl

:headphones:

FIVE THINGS ON THE COVER OF "SERGEANT PEPPER" THAT INDICATED PAUL WAS DEAD!

1. A hand is held over "Paul's" head. Said to be a symbol of death.

2. "Paul's" bass guitar is laid on flowers on a coffin.

3. "Paul" is holding a black guitar case.

4. On the inside cover "Paul" is wearing a black armband with "OPD" (Officially Pronounced Dead, Canadian origin)?

5. On the back cover, "Paul" has his back to the camera.

:shades:

The Top 20 Best Selling Records Of All Time according to Classic Bands

1. Their Greatest Hits Vol. 1 - The Eagles (28 million)

2. Thriller - Michael Jackson (26 million)

3. The Wall - Pink Floyd (23 million)

4. Led Zeppelin IV - (22 million)

5. Greatest Hits Vol 1 & 2 - Billy Joel (21 million)

6. Come On Over - Shania Twain (20 million)

7. Back In Black - AC/DC (19 million)

8. The White Album - The Beatles (19 million)

9. Rumours - Fleetwood Mac (18 million)

10. The Bodyguard Soundtrack - Whitney Houston (17 million)

11. Boston - Boston (16 million)

12. Jagged Little Pill - Alanis Moressette (16 million)

13. No Fences - Garth Brooks (16 million)

14. Cracked Rear View - Hootie & The Blowfish (16 million)

15. Hotel California - The Eagles (16 million)

16. The Beatles 1967-1970 - The Beatles (16 million)

17. Greatest Hits - Elton John (16 million)

18. Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen (15 million)

19. Dark Side Of The Moon - Pink Floyd (15 million)

20. Appetite For Destruction - Guns n' Roses (15 million)

Five Interesting Facts according to Classic Bands:

*In 1969, Tommy James and The Shondells turned down an offer to perform at the original Woodstock Festival, when their booking agent described the event as "...a stupid gig on a pig farm in upstate New York."

*When asked if it bothered him when people made wise cracks about his big nose, Beatles' drummer Ringo Starr once said "it goes up one nostril and down the other."

*When the Righteous Brothers single "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" was reviewed on the British TV show Juke Box Jury in January, 1965, it was voted a "miss" by all four judges. Since that time, it has become US radio's most played rock and roll song of all time, being heard over eight million times.

*After Capitol records had rejected ?Love Me Do?, ?Please Please Me? and ?From Me To You? for American release, label president Alan Livingston sent a memo to their parent company, EMI in Britain that said: ?We don?t think The Beatles will do anything in this market.? A year later, in January, 1964, when ?I Saw Her Standing There? was issued, it became the fastest selling single in the history of recorded music and Capitol?s pressing plant was forced to run 24 hours a day, trying to fill more than one million orders.

*As a 22 year old, Barry Manilow wrote a letter to Playboy Magazine, asking for advice in getting his musical career off the ground. His question was printed in a following edition, in which the adviser told him to "go sow your wild musical notes."

And five more from Classic Bands

*A research survey taken in the early 1970s showed that Elvis Presley was the second most recognized man in the world. Mao Tse-tung, leader of the Chinese Communist Party, was first.

*About eleven minutes into the album version of Iron Butterfly's "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida", organist Doug Ingle can clearly be heard playing a few bars of the Christmas song "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen".

*This one isn't rock and roll trivia, but it's still fascinating: Felix Powell, a British Army staff sergeant, wrote the music for "Pack Up Your Troubles In Your Old Kit Bag and Smile, Smile, Smile" in 1915 and entered it in a WWI competition for the best morale-building song. The song won first prize and has been called "perhaps the most optimistic song ever written." Powell didn't follow his own advice though...he committed suicide in 1942.

*Cher's 1971 Billboard chart topper "Gypsys, Tramps and Thieves" was originally titled "Gypsys and White Trash".

*Bobby Darin's "Mack The Knife" was the 59th number one single of the rock and roll era. It entered Billboard's Hot 100 at number 59 and was the second best selling song of...you guessed it...1959.

*Bobby Darin's "Mack The Knife" was the 59th number one single of the rock and roll era. It entered Billboard's Hot 100 at number 59 and was the second best selling song of...you guessed it...1959.

dingdingdingdingdingding....... (Twilight Zone Theme)

FIVE JIMMY PAGE GUEST GUITAR GIGS (BEFORE LED ZEPPELIN)

1. The Kinks first LP 1964

2. The Who's first single "Bald Headed Woman"

(B side of "I Can't Explain") 1965

3. Them's (Van Morrison) first LP 1965

4. Donovan's single "Hurdy Gurdy Man" 1968

5. Joe Cocker's second single "With A Little Help From My Friends" 1968. Surely one of the greatest guitar intros to ANY song, and my pick for the BEST cover of a Beatles' song ever.

Wow, I never knew Jimmy Page worked on so many great albums! I heard that he worked with Dusty Springfield too, as a session musician, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else....

Anyway,

TOP TEN TEENAGE DEATH SONGS FROM THE 1960's:

1. Last Kiss - Frank Wilson & The Cavalier's

2. Dead Man's Curve - Jan & Dean

3. Leader Of The Pack - The Shangri-La's

4. Ebony Eyes - The Everly Brothers

5. No Surfing Today - The Four Seasons

6. The Water Was Red - Johnny Cymbal

7. Fallout Shelter - Billy Chambers

8. Moody River - Pat Boone

9. Tell Laura I Love Her - Ray Peterson

10. Ode To Billy Joe - Bobbie Gentry

Katie, I think there's many, many more that he worked on uncredited. What's thought to be his first professional session, was playing on Jet Harris (Bassist) and Tony Meehan's (Drummer)1963 UK #1 instrumental hit "Diamonds".

I like your "Death" songs. There were so many of them around in the late 50s, early 60s that a singer/ songwriter, Bob Luman,wrote and recorded a song called "Let's Think About Living" (Let's Think About Life) as a Gloom Buster answer song.

TEN GREAT ADDRESSES

1. Penny Lane / Beatles

2. Baker Street / Gerry Rafferty

3. Creeque Alley / Mamas & The Papas

4. Tobacco Road / Nashville Teens

5. Electric Avenue / Eddy Grant

6. China Grove / Doobie Brothers

7. Marley Purt Drive / Jose Feliciano

8. Alphabet St / Prince

9. Ventura Highway / America

10.(Positively) 4th Street / Bob Dylan

TOP TEN TEENAGE DEATH SONGS FROM THE 1960's:

1. Last Kiss - Frank Wilson & The Cavalier's

2. Dead Man's Curve - Jan & Dean

3. Leader Of The Pack - The Shangri-La's

4. Ebony Eyes - The Everly Brothers

5. No Surfing Today - The Four Seasons

6. The Water Was Red - Johnny Cymbal

7. Fallout Shelter - Billy Chambers

8. Moody River - Pat Boone

9. Tell Laura I Love Her - Ray Peterson

10. Ode To Billy Joe - Bobbie Gentry

Running Bear - Johnny Preston

El Paso - Marty Robbins

Big John - Jimmy Dean

This would have to be the SICKEST song of all time.

I WANT MY BABY BACK (1965)- Jimmy Cross (Producer of "Country Concert")

I want my baby back

Gotta have my baby back

I miss her oh so much

Can't live without her touch

(Spoken)

I don't hardly know where to begin. I remember we were cruising home from the Beatles concert. I'd had such a wonderful evening, sitting there watching my baby screaming, and tearing her hair out, and carrying on. She was so full of life.

Then, well, we were about three miles from home when all of a sudden it started to rain. And I do mean rain. I couldn't hardly see nothing. Well, we kept driving for about another mile when all of a sudden I see this stalled car right smack in front of me. Well, I wasn't about to slam on the brakes 'cause I didn't have none to start with. So I swerved to the left. And what do I see - some mushhead on a motorcycle headin' right at us. And I knew at last me and my baby were about to meet the leader of the pack.

(Crash sounds)

Well, when I come to, I looked around

And there was the leader

And there was the pack

And over there was my baby

And over there was my baby

And way over there was my baby

I want my baby back

Gotta have my baby back

I miss her oh so much

(Spoken)

It's been many months now since that fateful night. And you know something, I've tried. Believe me, I have tried. But I just can't make without my baby. So I've decided I'm going to have her back one way or another. Oh, baby, I dig you so much. Hot dang, pay dirt .

(Digging and Scraping sounds)

I've got my baby back

Now, I've got my baby back

I love her oh so much

I've got my baby back

HOW did that get Air Play? It was in the Hot 100 for 3 weeks.

I'm sure we all read most every post, but there are just some that we're compelled to respond to....like the ones about boffin' dead people, for instance. Here's another one...."Cold Ethyl" by Alice Cooper....

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

"One thing I miss is Cold Ethyl and her skeleton kiss

We met last night making love by the refrigerator light

Ethyl, Ethyl let me squeeze you in my arms

Ethyl, Ethyl come and freeze me with your charms

One thing, no lie

Ethyl's frigid as an eskimo pie

She's cool in bed

Well she oughta be 'cuz Ethyl's dead

Come on Cold Ethyl, freeze me babe

One thing, it's true

Cold Ethyl I am stuck on you

And everything is my way

Ethyl don't have much to say

Come here Cold Ethyl

What makes you so cold? Ooh so cold

Cold Ethyl

Cold Cold Ethyl

If I live 'til ninety-seven

You'll still be waiting in refrigerator heaven

'cuz you're cool, you're ice

Cold Ethyl, you're my paradise"

Continuing the "Dead Thread"...

10 GREAT TRIBUTE SONGS

1. "American Pie" ? Don McLean (tribute to Buddy Holly, et. al.)

2. "Abraham, Martin and John" ? Donovan (tribute to Lincoln, ML King, JFK, RFK)

3. "The Ballad of Jayne" ? L.A. Guns (tribute to Jayne Mansfield)

4. "Candle In The Wind" ? Elton John (tribute to Marilyn Monroe/Princess Diana)

5. "Empty Garden" ? Elton John (tribute to John Lennon)

6. "Pride (In The Name of Love)" ? U2 (tribute to M.L. King)

7. "Ballad of Billy the Kid" ? Billy Joel (tribute to Billy the Kid)

8. "All Those Years Ago" ? George Harrison (tribute to John Lennon)

9. "Mr. Bojangles" ? Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, et. al. (tribute to Bill 'Bojangles' Robinson)

10. "Black Velvet" ? Alannah Myles (tribute to Elvis Presley)

They're the first ten I thought of. Anybody is welcome to add to it.