Johnny Carson - 1925-2005

Mike

I was shocked to hear about Johnny Carson tonight. I think almost any of us in that "tv generation" probably feel the same. I grew up with tv from the start, the first generation to do so. From the time I can remember watching tv, I can remember Johnny. Before I had a real concept of time, I knew I was up late, like the grownups, if I was up when Johnny was on. I started on I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, The birth of the Flintstones, and all Hanna Barbera's characters. I Dream Of Jeanie. The original Batman. I remember Superman. But these were just tv shows. I never saw Jack Parr, don't remember Steve Allen, but Johnny Carson was always there. Like a friend, a family member, someone you could count on to make you laugh. Always welcomed into our homes, and you knew the man was grateful to be there. He had true class, style, and grace. An entire generation has just lost an icon. They say he had been writing jokes for Leno, Letterman, and Conan. I just heard that yesterday, that he couldn't stay away, that if you listened, you could pick out Carson's stuff, indelibly stamped with his mark.

He will be missed. Greatly. May He Rest In Peace.

My wife was on the phone and I was watching the Eagles defeating Atlanta in the NFC Championship Game. I heard her say "oh no" to whomever was on the line. Then she walked towards me and by the look on her face I knew someone very close, possibly a family member had died.

Then she told me that Johnny carson had died. Crushing . I hadn't even known that he'd been ill with emphysema. And it was as if a close family member had passed.

For thirty years whenever I was at home I never went to bed until the Tonight Show had ended. I wouldn't have been able to sleep anyway. Carson was that much a part of my life as he was to millions. Those of you who watched every night know exactly what I mean.

I've missed him since he retired in '92. There was a wonderful piece in Esquire Magazine in 2002 that brought us up to date on what he'd been doing since '92. He was truly enjoying his life with his wife Alex. And he saw his closest friends fairly often. He hosted a regular poker game with friends like Newhart, Rickles and a few select others. It was good to know he was happy.

I'd watched Paar and Allen before him. They were great. And I've watched Letterman and Leno and Hall and whoever. Johnny was The King. He'll never be replaced.

Johnny Carson was one of my all-time favorites, a hero of sorts.

So, today as I enjoy the fact that my Eagles are going to the SuperBowl I also am saddened by the death in my family.

RIP Johnny. We'll never see the likes of you again. :(

Few entertainers passings have really gripped me. While countless no names perish on this earth. Sometimes is seems strange to pay idolic tribute to some while dismissing others rather easily. But some come by and really make an impact on a large number of lives.

The few that have REALLY made a huge impact on my life are JACK BENNY, MEL BLANC and JOHNNY CARSON others have made an impact, but not as huge as these three individuals!

Here's one of my favorite moments from The Tonights Show --

Johnny Carson interviewed a little boy, about eight years old, from West Virginia. And he was on the show because he?d rescued two of his little friends in a coalmine. And as Johnny talked to the boy, it became apparent to him and the audience that the young man was a Christian. So Johnny asked him if he attended Sunday school, and he said he did. So Johnny asked, "What are you learning in Sunday school?" (Always a dangerous question to ask a kid.) And the little boy said that last week their lesson was about when Jesus went to a wedding and turned water into wine." Well the audience loved that, they howled, but Johnny tried to keep a straight face, and asked, "And what did you learn from that story?" (An even more dangerous question.) Well, the little boy squirmed a bit, and it was apparent he hadn't actually given it much thought. But then he brightened up as the answer occurred to him, like an epiphany, and he said, "If you're going to have a wedding, make sure you invite Jesus!"

My favorite Carson moment was once when he had an old lady on who collected potato chips that she thought looked like famous people. Well, Johnny was picking them up and asking her who this one looked like, etc., and the old lady was very protective of them, worrying that Johnny would break one. One time she had her head turned and Johnny grabbed a chip from a bag he had hidden and bit it. The poor old lady nearly had a heart attack! Priceless

And I loved when he had Joan Embry on and the animals would climb all over him and/or poop on him