Recommendations for List #2

Sara

Grace - Jeff Buckley

edited to add comments:

The voice of this man is amazing. I have a large collection of music, nothing comes close to this. Imagine if you will you're at a music tasting, like a wine tasting and someone hands you a glass, you swirl it gently, symmetrically inside the glass at a slight tilt, then you smell the fine bouquet, then sipping it you roll your eyes back into your head and the smooth sweet liquid glides over your tongue causing your taste buds to dance with joy.

That's what this cd will do to your ears and your mind!

You will re-learn what you have learned about music.

I cannot image someone listening to this album and not liking it. It has something words cannot explain, it has life and body and evokes such emotion. The best $8.99 you'll ever spend on music.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime [This is an essential CD for anyone that loves rock and roll! In true 'Floydian' style all of the tracks are stiched together and tell a story. Each track is like a chapter in a book. Whether listening to the whole album or individual tracks, this album flat out rocks, and is one of all time favorite albums.]

Mother Love Bone - self titled

Garden State Soundtrack (This is Amazon's current top seller so it has the ability to bring you lots of ice cream! ::)

Led Zep,

There's only a few record label releases throughout their 35 year career ( bootlegs excluded :) ).

To finally have a 2nd live tape released 'officially' deserves celebration!

Live is what they were all about. Bonham and Page trading licks back 'n forth, trying to outdo each other,

with Plant chiming in succulently, and Jonesy on Bass & Keyboards ...

There's no one else like them.

:bow: :rockon:

"Street Survivors" - Lynyrd Skynyrd

From the songs that are most known by Lynyrd Skynyrd, you will not find them on this album. Which is why this album is such a good one to buy. Because some of the best songs they made are on this album. This is also the album that has Steve Gaines as a featured vocalist. Some of my favorite "non-greatest hits" songs are on this album: "One More Time", "I Never Dreamed", and "Ain't No Good LIfe". It is truly Lynyrd Skynyrd at the peak of their creativity in the world of Southern Rock.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005S84M.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Quite possibly, the album that began the New Romantic movement as we know it now. Quiet Life came out in 1979 and already sounded like a slick version of what The Human League were making around the same time. This was a couple of years before Duran Duran, one year before Visage, and around the same time as OMD's first single, "Electricity." Still, this was an entire album! Noone in the same genre had done this! With tracks like "Quiet Life," "Fall In Love With Me," "Halloween," "The Other Side Of Life," and a great cover of The Velvet Underground's "All Tomorrow's Parties," Japan had set themselves up as the breakthrough band of the 80s by arriving before the genre was solidified by other acts emulating their style. They set the standard, they raised the bar, the polished and perfected New Romantic before there even was such a term ::

When you guys suggest albums, please try to give a little info on why you think it deserves to be recommended. That way if it makes the list, people can read out why they might like it.

:afro:

well in that case, the reason someone might like "How the West Was Won" is simply because Led Zeppelin is much better sounding in concert. The sound is much heavier. Also, it is like a greatest hits collection, from their glory days, which I'd much rather have than a greatest hits collection with 4 or 5 synthesizer songs from their last years. Also, the 25 minute Dazed and Confused is amazing. If you don't understand why everyone likes Led Zeppelin so much, listen to this CD.

How about "Born in the USA" by Bruce Springsteen? It may not be his best album, but it revitalized his career and introduced him to a new generation of fans in the video age.

This is a sort of obscure choice, but I like "Two Rooms". It's a tribute album to Elton John and Bernie Taupin. The title refers to how Elton and Bernie work separately on songs, Bernie writing the lyrics and Elton the music. Among the artists covering their favorite Elton songs are The Who, Sting, Oleta Adams, Sinead O'Connor, The Beach Boys and my favorite, a beautiful version of "Tonight" by George Michael.

Led Zep,

Live is what they were all about. Bonham and Page trading licks back 'n forth, trying to outdo each other,

with Plant chiming in succulently, and Jonesy on Bass & Keyboards ...

There's no one else like them.

:bow: :rockon:

"No one compares to Zeppelin" - me and all my friends circa 1975.

Listen to "How the West Was Won" if you are one of those who thinks Page was too sloppy on stage.

Oh here is the PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE

1 Wouldn't It Be Nice

2 You Still Believe in Me

3 That's Not Me

4 Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)

5 I'm Waiting for the Day

6 Let's Go Away for Awhile

7 Sloop John B

8 God Only Knows

9 I Know There's an Answer

10 Here Today

11 I Just Wasn't Made for These Times

12 Pet Sounds

13 Caroline No

14. Hang on to Your Ego

That's the "Beach Boys - Pet Sounds" from 1966

Absolutely the quintessential masterpiece of music!!

~Harmoniously ala grande~

Brian Wilsons gift to 20th. century music. So much has been written about this wonderful record I don't think I can add much that won't simply be repeating what has already been said. Conventional keyboards and guitars were combined with exotic touches of orchestrated strings, bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, theremin, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, barking dogs, and more. A Classic all it's own!!

Mike

Well, let's get some other suggestions -

How about Pink Floyds - Dark side of the moon,

for obvious reasons of course, 741 weeks on the top 100 charts would be the first compelling reason, although this choice is my 3rd., and I have copies of it in the car, house, work and propably everybody has a copies everywhere like I do, right? This incredible gem is a must for everyone, in fact you should have the making of it too, on DVD, it's incredible. Hmm.. just thought I'd mention it anyway. Because it is the quintessial prog-rock/space rock masterpiece after all-time!!!

My 4th. choice would be Men at work -Business as usual because quite recently Carl interviewed Colin Hay of the band and it would be a great one to be introduced to the newer listeners of the world.

Mike