OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CURRENT QUESTION

This very famous guitarist/singer/songwriter/ had an all out fight with his girlfriend in the latter part of the 60s. He wrote a song for her (with her name in the title) which he recorded with his band in 20 minutes! It became a Top 10 Hit in the U.K.

Can you tell me who it was and the song title please?

Not Bob Dylan Elvish. I've made a "subtle"? change in the wording of the question that may give a clue. :)

Jimi! "The Wind Cries Mary"

Am I right?

ARE YOU EVER! :coolio:WELL DONE ELVISH! :) :)That puts you up to third placing! :D

CURRENT POINTS

Brad37732 35

Kevin28776 33

Elvish 22

Windy1 19

miamisammy 15

edna 15

UncleJoe 14

jrownsdega 12

Laurie35451 12

katie sane 8

Jenny 6

Annabelle 5

earth-angel 4

HDThoreau 2

bazooka 2

addictedtoclassic 2

Tenacious Peaches 1

bluesboy 1

DiggsUK 1

NEW QUESTION

Who is this Singer/Songwriter?

Started in Club groups. Lead singer of moderately successful little known Group in latter part of 70s. Co-wrote many hits for other artists in late 70s, early 80s. Toured with The Kinks, Loverboy, Foreigner, Tina Turner in first half of 80s. Had one of the most successful singles of all time in the 90s.

:stars:

Old55 wrote:

Where are you Brad? Kevin's closing. (I hope I haven't offended you at all). :

No, you haven't! I'm still here. Was feeling a little run down last night so I went to bed early and I was out all day today.

Yepperz, Kevin's giving me a good run for my money, but that's ok with me. I like competing against a strong challenger. Bring it on, Kevin! :rockon:

The next time you see Kevin he'll be standing in a cloud of my dust holding up this sign. :help: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Old55 wrote:

Please tell me: are my Questions too hard? or are people just losing interest in the Quiz?

No way, dude! I don't think people are losing interest in your quiz. Just look at all the views you have. Your game is very popular.

Not everyone can be on the computer at the same time and the same hours, and with family and work schedules, I'm sure it's tough to be on site often.

Kevin and I are on the computer all the time because I believe he shares the same view as I do when I say:

Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow...and then tomorrow I just say it again. :laughing: :laughing:

I believe Elvish has the correct answer with Bryan Adams so I won't guess anyone else. I say Bryan Adams too.

He fits the descriptions in your question.

>He was the lead singer with the group Sweeney Todd in the late 70's.

>He wrote many songs with Jim Vallance for other artists.

> His 1991 single "(Everything I Do) I Do It For You" hit #1 and went platinum.

OLD 55, I am new to this board and in the process of reading all 30+ pages of your thread. Your questions are fascinating and informative! I thought I knew a lot of music trivia, but you rule!! I will try to jump in when i think I can hazard a semi-coherent guess!! I am just glad to be here! :)

Aren't you nice people! :googly:Thanks Peaches, Elvish, Brad, Diggs,swlabr, windy and angel.. Elvish and Brad didn't find this one too hard:

Bryan Adams it certainly is. :coolio:WELL DONE ELVISH! :) :) 5 points to you and 1 to Brad.

OK, I have to go out for a few hours, so I wonder if this question will last that long??? It's a Quotation, EVEN though I said I wouldn't use them anymore because they always seem to bob up on Google (NOT that I have a problem with that). I think this one is a little obscure though? We'll see.

NEW QUESTION:

Which Great Music Influence of the 1960s (a person connected with the Music Business) said this?

"I wanted to sophisticate Rock'N'Roll - I wanted it to be more. People were tired of hearing the same old riffs and screams".

You are all just too nice. :) Many times my questions DO reflect my age. Having said that, I've just been working on one and it's Another 60s! I'm a LYRICS Muppet. Maybe it was all those blaring saxophones that EVERY 50s Band had that affected my hearing. Or maybe, like most men, I just don't listen! ;)

OK, I have to go out for a few hours, so I wonder if this question will last that long??? It's a Quotation, EVEN though I said I wouldn't use them anymore because they always seem to bob up on Google (NOT that I have a problem with that). I think this one is a little obscure though? We'll see.

NEW QUESTION:

Which Great Music Influence of the 1960s (a person connected with the Music Business) said this?

"I wanted to sophisticate Rock'N'Roll - I wanted it to be more. People were tired of hearing the same old riffs and screams".

55, the questions are tough when I can't get them. Easy when I can. Just like the women when I was single.

I agree that there's nothing wrong with Googling. I just don't do it. If I can get the answer from deep within the dusty, cob-webbed vaults of my mind it's rewarding. Otherwise I either guess or I don't participate.

Now, as to the question:

Could it be Buck Ram, writer (and more) for The Platters?