OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

Thanks Joe. You're a Prince. Well we just got back from holidays today, and whilst it was very relaxing, I did miss all of my friends here on Songfacts.

I only took one "Music" book with me - the copy of Rolling Stone Magazine with their "500 Greatest Songs". I know we all slammed their choice of "Like A Rolling Stone" as #1 - and I still don't agree with it, even though I think Bob Dylan is brilliant -but I think they generally did a pretty good job! I'm thinking of starting a new thread on that when I catch up with my mail (snail and electronic) and a few other things.

I do think Rolling Stone were very pretentious in calling their list the "500 Greatest Songs of ALL TIME". That, it is certainly not. (Stardust/ Hoagy Carmichael - say no more). Their Top Ten were:

1. Like A Rolling Stone/ Bob Dylan/ 1965

2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction/ Rolling Stones/ 1965

3. Imagine/ John Lennon/ 1971

4. What's Going On/ Marvin Gaye/ 1971

5. Respect/ Aretha Franklin/ 1967

6. Good Vibrations/ Beach Boys/ 1966

7. Johnny B. Goode/ Chuck Berry/ 1958

8. Hey Jude/ Beatles/ 1968

9. Smells Like Teen Spirit/ Nirvana/ 1991

10.What'd I Say/ Ray Charles/ 1959

I'd like to make this my first QUESTION for March -not a factual question, and maybe a bit self indulgent. I've compiled my own Top Ten and I retained only TWO of the above. WHICH TWO do you think an oldy like me would choose?

I just noticed I have 2 1950s and 5 1960s - as RS have - in my Top 10, but I have 3 1970s. You really wouldn't have expected me to include Nirvana, would you? Funny, but I don't mind it at all - not that much though.

:stars:

5 Points to the winning answer, 2 points for an Honorable Mention and 1 to every participant.

We saw last month how important that 1 point can be when we had a TIE ! I hope you liked your Rock stamps Katie and Peaches.

:headphones:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Sue - you're a Sweetie. I didn't realise it was you with the new (since I've been away ) avatar. Love it!

:D P.S. I won't say if they're my two songs yet. I'll leave it for up to 24 hours to give all a chance to participate.

Hi Dear Edna. I missed you too! It was lovely gazing out over the ocean, but there's no place like home! We're going to watch a DVD that one of sons just brought home and they're calling me. We saw about 40 minutes of "Dogma" while we were away. The first 10 minutes were funny...

Best we saw was "Collateral" - great movie.

:)

Hi Old 55. I'm new.

Pennsylvania Musical Interlude:

Pleased to meet you

hope you guessed my name.

But what's puzzling you

is the nature of my game. :afro: :rockon: :jester:

Hi Brad

You've taken me back a Tad

I do know two Pennsylvanians

Who are very quick with their craniums

And I think I may have just been Had

:jester:

Post us some pictures from your vacation. Where was it...The Bronx?? :laughing: :laughing:

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Thanks Sammy. The pics are still in the camera. I'll put one on of the ocean view from our Unit when we get them. If I want to get mugged I can always go for a walk around Brisbane City Heart in the early AM. But I wouldn't do that unless I took my 3 sons, Hoss, Adam and Little Joe (Pete/Young 55/Old 22) with me.

:thumbsup:

(I tried Googling 'read Old 55's mind', but the results were next to nothing.)

Thanks for a good laugh Bazooka. You must have tried to

read it before I had my morning coffee. :laughing:

P.S. Thanks for the B.J.Thomas Coke/Pepsi answer.

No one has cracked the two songs yet.(A couple were close). I'll leave it on for a while so I can catch up on a few things today(it's 11.15am Saturday our time) and check back later.

THE QUESTION AGAIN:

Rolling Stone Magazine recently did their Top 500 Songs as we all know. I've compiled my own Top Ten and I retained only TWO from their list below. WHICH TWO do you think they are?

1. Like A Rolling Stone/ Bob Dylan/ 1965

2. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction/ Rolling Stones/ 1965

3. Imagine/ John Lennon/ 1971

4. What's Going On/ Marvin Gaye/ 1971

5. Respect/ Aretha Franklin/ 1967

6. Good Vibrations/ Beach Boys/ 1966

7. Johnny B. Goode/ Chuck Berry/ 1958

8. Hey Jude/ Beatles/ 1968

9. Smells Like Teen Spirit/ Nirvana/ 1991

10.What'd I Say/ Ray Charles/ 1959

:guitar:

Hey, Old55.

Maybe you and Miami Sammy can trade photos. You can offer your ocean view photo in exchange for what Sammy sees when he looks out his window.

A view of the Susquehanna River. I hear those catfish are jumping this time of year.

big_cat_fish.jpg

MiamiSammy29 wrote:

And, Brad, that's one helluva catfish, but it's not from the Susky; it only has one head.

LOL :laughing:

Old55 wrote:

Is that catfish for real? The photo's not faked? I'm damn sure I wouldn't be swimming near there.

According to the site, the catfish weighed in at 121 pounds.

Hi Annabelle and Kevin and thanks for your good wishes.

We have a Winner! Well thought read Annabelle:

As for the question, I'll guess "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" and "Good Vibrations".
5 points to you.

:coolio:

Sammy knows I'm a big Stones fan and he was the first to mention "Satisfaction" - 2 points to him, and 2 points also to Bazooka for "Good Vibrations". Thanks to ALL others who participated and one point each to you, so that's:

Annabelle 5

miamisammy 2

bazooka 2

earth-angel 1

edna 1

Brad37732 1

jrownsdega 1

Kevin28776 1

bluesboy 1

Hi Bluesboy. Yes, I'm a big Aretha fan, but there's at least 2 others of hers I'd put above "Respect". I'm going to start a thread on the Topic, and I'm sure some of my choices will be just as controversial as Rolling Stone Magazine's. Wouldn't it be boring if we all agreed on everything!

:headphones: