OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

I knew that question because I read something not long ago about the apartment where both Cass and Keith died. It was owned by Harry Nilsson.

But Question A, I have no idea. Don't have a clue about the other one either. Will have another go tomorrow if they are still there.

I'm off now. :bow:Peaches :bow: will take the next shift!!! :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aah yes, you are correct Elvy. I didn't read far enough...

The band soon met up with Allan Coffman, who financed their first album, Too Fast for Love, on their own small, independent Lethur Records label; the record sold a surprising 20,000 copies. After signing to Elektra Records, the band released Shout at the Devil in 1983, which featured the hit video "Looks That Kill."

B: Motley Crue?
:coolio: :coolio: GOT IT IN ONE ADDICT ! :) WELL DONE ! MOTLEY CRUE IT WAS.

5 points to you, 2 to Elvish for her contribution !

NOT LONG to go now. If anyone missed it, I am CLOSING this month's Competition at 12.01am Sunday (SONGFACTS TIME) - 6.01 pm Queensland Time - as my Wife and I are going away for 3 weeks Holiday/Vacation. :)

SO the Points now are: (INCLUDING participation points from QUESTION A - SEE BELOW !)

katie sane 49

Tenacious Peaches 42

kevin28776 29

UncleJoe 21

miamisammy 20

Windy1 16

addictedtoclassic 15

rico 10

jr 9

edna 9

MarcM 9

Elvish 8

Jenny 2

DiggsUK 2

bazooka 1

OK, we won't spend any more time on Question A. It was difficult, sure, but there was a thread about it on Songfacts in which most of us lampooned the choice of Bob Dylan's "Like A Rolling Stone" as #1 in Rolling Stone Magazine's 500 Greatest Songs of all time.

All of those artists I mentioned were part of the "panel" who voted on the songs.

New Question soon !

TWO NEW QUESTIONS

QUESTION A

Which well known singer/songwriter included 5 of his/her OWN songs in the Top 10 of his/her vote in the "Rolling Stone Greatest 500 Songs Of All Time" ?

::

QUESTION B:

Which famous singer of the 80s/90s was christian named after his/her Mother's favorite Movie? (The movie goes back a bit; it was in mine and Uncle Joes's lifetimes !)

:stars:

Got to go out. I'll check back in 3 or 4 hours. Good Luck!

Question A - Brian Wilson.

B. Belinda Carlisle (named after the 1948 Movie "Johnny Belinda")

:coolio: :coolio:HOW DO YOU TWO DO IT??? :) Did you know them or did you Google ?(NOT that there's anything wrong with that). WELL DONE KATIE AND PEACHES ! Good to see Bluesboy in the fray too.

A. Brian Wilson is a modest fellow isn't he? Although he NEARLY got it right - choosing what WE ALL KNOW is the Greatest Song of the Rock era as his #2 pick (You've Lost That Lovin'Feeling/ Righteous Brothers. What else?). It placed #34 in the 500.

His Top 10 consisted of 1-5 Phil Spector produced songs and then 6-10 Beach Boys' songs:

California Girls

Good Vibrations

Do It Again

I Get Around

Surfer Girl

B. Peaches said it.

:thumbsup:

NEW QUESTION:

A U.S.Group formed in early 70s. Started career playing Led Zeppelin covers. Moved to Canada. First album ranged from easy ballads to hard rock and was very successful. Moved back to the U.S. Change of record label saw major legal battle over "second" album, which was eventually settled out of Court. Bootleg copies are said to have sold for large $$$$ (Got it yet?)

Next album well received, not really so their next which "lacked direction". Two members left and group slid further. Then another two key members took a two year break. When they returned, group had US Top 30 album. THEN another two members left (sounds like Noah's Ark). Biggest success came after release of self-titled album, which saw 4 tracks from it go Top 10 (one #1) in US singles chart and gave them their first UK Hit single. Who are they?

:guitar:

CURRENT POINTS:

katie sane 54

Tenacious Peaches 48

kevin28776 29

UncleJoe 21

miamisammy 20

Windy1 16

addictedtoclassic 15

rico 10

jr 9

edna 9

MarcM 9

Elvish 8

Jenny 2

bluesboy 2

DiggsUK 2

bazooka 1

QUESTION A:

A U.S.Group formed in early 70s./ Started career playing Led Zeppelin covers./ Moved to Canada./ First album ranged from easy ballads to hard rock and was very successful./ Moved back to the U.S. /Change of record label saw major legal battle over "second" album, which was eventually settled out of Court. Bootleg copies are said to have sold for large $$$$ (Got it yet?)

Next album well received, not really so their next which "lacked direction"./ Two members left and group slid further./ Then another two key members took a two year break. When they returned, group had US Top 30 album./ THEN another two members left (sounds like Noah's Ark). /Biggest success came after release of self-titled album, which saw 4 tracks from it go Top 10 (one #1) in US singles chart and gave them their first UK Hit single./ Who are they?

::

QUESTION B:

A very famous Musician who died within the last 20 years (and NEVER did a Rock song to my knowledge) once gave this list of his/her favorite "Rock" performers to a music journalist for publication in a book.

They were:

1. Billy joel

2. David Bowie

3. Boz Scaggs

4. The Doobie Brothers

5. Teddy Pendergrass

6. Blondie

7. The Eagles

8. Supertramp

9. Linda Ronstadt

10.Bob Seger

Please see if you can guess who this late Musician was. Or maybe you've read the book and know it ?

:shades:

Well, I can see these questions have been viewed a number of times since I posted them. Please - HAVE A GO!

Yes it is very late in Australia right now! ::

As to my sources of info, I read a lot of stuff, and watch a lotta music related stuff on tv. If I am interested in a particular band/musician then I try to find out lotsa info. But with the last question I answered about Brian Wilson, I read his top ten music picks in Rolling Stone mag not long ago, so I knew that one straight away! AND I pick up heaps of interesting info from this site and fellow songfactors!! Now, where would I be without you guys?!?!

Well done Ladies. I know that you both don't Google your answers because you post them so quickly. Wouldn't matter anyway, because technology is there to be used. Our youngest son amazes me. We watch the "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" Quiz, and he can usually bring up answers to even the most obscure questions in seconds !

You both have very nimble brains. I thought someone would eventually think "Liberace", but not that soon Peaches. It's funny Katie - I got that Brian Wilson question from the Magazine too. I wish they'd have put more Artists' Top Ten picks in.

Please Email me as soon as you can so I can get the stamps away before we leave. Congratulations again. As I said - DESERVED Winners. :)