OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oops - I missed your Mott the Hoople answer, Edna! :doh:

And Sammy - what you said! :: The only criteria that Steppenwolf perfectly matches is their name.

Not just the name. Third album was huge and made a big name for them. They had some decent selling singles after that one, hung around a few years, then faded. They "technically" relocated to the U.S. But the answer is probably some cake one that we're all overlooking, though.

WHERE ARE YOU, WISE OLD ONE? WE NEED YOUR ANSWERS AND GUIDANCE!

:afro: :afro: :afro: :jester: :rockon:

P.S. Katie, you are GREAT at this game. I only win when you go to sleep. Rock on, sister. :rockon:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:Peaches , you should write sitcoms scripts with UncleJoe and sammy!!!!! You´re great!!!!

Elvish, I don´t think Supertramp has been mentioned yet... but this might be the right one... maybe the name? :: Is there a book "Supertramp"? :help:

Yes, OldFifty, say something!!!! :shades:

Oohhh!!! I'll bet it's Supertramp. Did someone already say them? :o
NOT BEFORE YOU ELVISH ! WELL DONE :) :coolio: :coolio:

As Sammy so eloquently put it, Sonofabitch, that's it!! :doh:

"Autobiography of a Supertramp" by W.H. Davies

"Breakfast in America"

5 Points to you Elvish, 2 to sammy for saving me some typing and 1 to all who participated. Thank You. :)

With Question B, it's something controversial they were all involved in.

::

QUESTION B:

What did these members of great 60s groups do in common, but not together, in 2004?

John Sebastian (Lovin'Spoonful)

Jack Bruce (Cream)

Marty Balin (Jefferson Airplane)

And just for the record, OldOne, INXS actually has/had THREE Fariss Brothers in the band (Andrew, Tim and Jon), and they went by the name "The Fariss Brothers" when they first formed in 1977. FYI.

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :stars: :stars:

Thanks Sammy. As I've said before, people ARE cruel to drummers(I forgot Jon). Sorry if my wording of the question threw anybody off! :P They changed their name to INXS at the suggestion of Midnight Oil's Manager, Garry Morris, in 1979. Their tour with Midnight Oil in 1980 kickstarted their career in Australia. :)

CURRENT QUESTION WITH CLUE. PLEASE HAVE A GO !!!!

What did these members of great 60s groups do in common, but not together, in 2004?

John Sebastian (Lovin'Spoonful)

Jack Bruce (Cream)

Marty Balin (Jefferson Airplane)

CLUE : THEY ALL PARTICIPATED IN SOMETHING CONTROVERSIAL ! :shades:

It got difficult to get on or stay on the site recently, so I turned to other sources of amusement.

Something I bumped into out on the back roads was this musical miscreants quiz (<), part of a larger multi-subject trivia contest from 10 years ago.

Interesting reading, whether you know the answers or not.

Sorry to interrupt the action. Carry on, Old Double-Nickel.

Hi Uncle. No, nothing political. :laughing: It was widely discussed in these forums at the time. THAT'S A CLUE.

POINTS UPDATE:

katie sane 43

Tenacious Peaches 41

kevin28776 29

UncleJoe 20

miamisammy 19

Windy1 16

rico 10

jr 9

addictedtoclassic 9

MarcM 8

edna 6

Elvish 5

Jenny 1

DiggsUK 1

bazooka 1

::

Hi Katie. No, that's not it sorry. You and Joe keep thinking "Controversial", and it WAS discussed at great length here. :)

OK !

These guys participated in it too. I don't know if this will help or further confuse things.

the late Jim Capaldi (Traffic)

Jerry Harrison (Talking Heads)

James Hatfield (Metallica)

Roger McGuinn (Byrds)

Art Garfunkel (Simon & Garfunkel/ Solo)

:help:

Not those Edna, especially the first two. It's MUSIC RELATED!

Well, it looks like that one is a bit tough. We'll call it QUESTION A (STILL CURRENT)and post an additional one:

QUESTION B:

Which two members of famous 1960s groups died (separately and unrelated)in the SAME apartment/flat. ?

:(

Keith Moon & Cass Elliott

:coolio: :coolio: HOW THE HECK DID YOU KNOW THAT ??? :WELL DONE KATIE !

You answered it SO quickly that you wouldn't have had time to Google. 5 more points to you. AND 2 to Edna. I don't know if Syd and Nancy died in the same apartment/room (maybe someone can help me out on that one please?), and as you said, you wouldn't their deaths "unrelated". ::

CURRENT POINTS (NOT including Participation Points from Question A)

katie sane 48

Tenacious Peaches 41

kevin28776 29

UncleJoe 20

miamisammy 19

Windy1 16

rico 10

jr 9

addictedtoclassic 9

edna 8

MarcM 8

Elvish 5 ***

Jenny 1

DiggsUK 1

bazooka 1

*** SHOULD we give Elvish double points?

Or halve them because two people are working on the Questions???? :googly:

LET'S TACKLE THIS DAMN QUESTION A:

You can see I added a few more names of different "eras" to the original 3. They've all been male so far, so here's a couple of ladies who also participated in this "Musical Project" - Joni Mitchell and K.D.Lang. The 10 names Ive given are part of a very diverse list, but they ALL contributed to a Controversial Project !!!

:stars:

NEW QUESTION (B):

WHO IS THIS GROUP? Formed in the 80s. First album was self-funded on an independent record label. Even though album wasn't successful, major label contracted them soon after - had Top 20 Album with first release for their new label. National tour with a very famous Rock band really established them. However, they (and their Manager) were dogged by scandal through most of their career. Late 80s album was a HUGE seller with 5 singles being lifted from it.

:headphones:

Goodnight and Good Luck ! :sleepy: