OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa ! Whoa ! Wait a minute there, ref ! That's a WELL established default answer; and I'm not gonna have any of your B.S. ! You called the the game, answer in; I did ! What's your beef ? I'd take 20 points from Katie and Peaches for ALOT less, mate, s'truth !!! If you're gonna come round here takin' points , why don't you sand that one pointin' out of your OWN melon ?

Relax all, Old was a ref, He LOVES this s__T ! ::

Relax all, Old was a ref, He LOVES this s__T ! ::

Just like old times! Water off a duck's back. The worst was umpiring games for small kids, because they might cry! All right - you can have your 2 points back for the "Diana Ross" attempt, which was a good one.

CLUE: THIS PERSON IS AN ICON OF MUSIC. :)

:drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer:

Right ! We've really lost the plot here, although it's been fun.

THE QUESTION AGAIN IS: (WE'LL CALL IT QUESTION A)

WHO AM I ? Child actor/ress and model. Not an original member, but became lead singer in a Group when existing one left. Combined successful solo career with this, as well as session work for others. Appeared in popular U.S. TV show + roles in Movies. Had US#1 with Group, and 7 US#1s/3 UK #1s Solo. Whew! A busy person. ALSO participated in many Charity musical projects.

:doh:

ALSO we know it's NOT:

Diana Ross

Elton John

Michael Jackson

David Cassidy

David Hasselhoff

David Soul

Ricky Martin

Bobby Sherman

(NOT too many session musicians in that lot, except Elton John ?).

ALSO we know the person appeared in a famous TV Cop show, NOT "Cagney And Lacy" or "The Mod Squad".

QUESTION B:

Which Biblical characters did Little Richard refer to on one occasion when he "renounced" his homosexuality?

::

Yes, I would have thought Diana Ross too, except the Supremes had a swag of #1s and she was the original lead singer, as far as I know.

Actually, when the group was formed as The Primettes (The Temptations were The Primes) Florence Ballard was the lead singer and Diana sang back-up. After being replaced as lead by Diana Flo never lost her bitterness.

As to the question...Could it be Whitney Houston?

Peaches, that was Meshack Taylor (who now judges pet tricks on Animal Stars on Animal Planet).

I'm talking about Meshack Mendelbaum .

You do know I was kidding about Meshack, right? Right? Right, Joe? ::

Doesn't it seem like this question should be really easy to get? The A part, I mean?

I stand behind my answer of Phil Collins. He was a child actor, he replaced Peter Gabriel in Genesis, had a questionably popular solo career in the 80s, he guest starred on "Miami Vice" and was one of the featured singers on the "Do They Know It's Christmas?" charity record. If it's not him, I want extra points for typing all this out. ::

Here is a track listing from his Greatest Hits album. I'm sure at least 7 of these gems were #1. Just remember, everyone was either snorting cocaine or smoking crack in the 80s. :laughing:

1. Another Day in Paradise

2. True Colors

3. Easy Lover

4. You Can't Hurry Love

5. Two Hearts

6. I Wish It Would Rain Down

7. Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)

8. Something Happened on the Way to Heaven

9. Separate Lives

10. Both Sides of the Story

11. One More Night

12. Sussudio

13. Dance into the Light

14. Groovy Kind of Love

15. In the Air Tonight

16. Take Me Home

QUESTION A

I stand behind my answer of Phil Collins. AND WELL YOU SHOULD! :coolio: :coolio:

NO DOUBT ABOUT YOU - YOU'RE VERYGOOD PEACHES ! :thumbsup:

"He was a child actor, he replaced Peter Gabriel in Genesis, had a questionably popular solo career in the 80s, he guest starred on "Miami Vice" and was one of the featured singers on the "Do They Know It's Christmas?" charity record. If it's not him, I want extra points for typing all this out." ::

Yes, you deserve extra points but I'd have a lynch mob after me. I appreciate your typing out all those details. :) He was the drummer on "Do They Know It's Christmas" and guested for many other artists - Eric Clapton comes to mind. It was a tough question, but I did throw out some hints...............

THE DRUMS ! I DON'T USUALLY USE THIS ICON !

:drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer: :drummer:

5 Points to Peaches, 2 to Kevin (I thought Diana Ross was a good answer) and 1 to all others who participated! Thank You!

Here's Phil Collins' US #1s for Sammy:

Against All Odds

One More Night

Sussudio

Separate Lives (with Marilyn Martin)

Groovy Kind Of Love

Two Hearts

Another Day In Paradise

QUESTION B

Speaking of Sammy... :coolio: :coolio: NAILED IT IN ONE! WELL DONE MATE! :coolio:

Poor old Little Richard. I think he's a bit like Elvis (not sexually) - torn between what he considers Right and Wrong.

I believe he's an innately good person (but stay away from my sons). I don't remember the exact quote, but he broadly said that "God made Adam and Eve NOT Adam and Steve".

5 Points to Sammy and 1 to Uncle and Peaches for giving an answer. Back soon with the updated points and a new question.

::

Actually, when the group was formed as The Primettes (The Temptations were The Primes) Florence Ballard was the lead singer and Diana sang back-up. After being replaced as lead by Diana Flo never lost her bitterness.

Thanks Uncle! I see they changed the Group name to "Diana Ross And The Supremes" in 1967 and Flo also left in 1967. From what you've told us that was probably the Last Straw for her.

:coolio: