OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh yes. You remember Chaquita?

We were hitting it off famously until the accident.

When I disrobed I left my peel on the floor and she slipped and broke her hip. She was never the same after that. Then finally she just split. Geez, all I could say was "thanks a bunch".

So yes, we have no bananazzzzzz.

Ahh yes. You remember Chaquita?

We were hitting it off famously until the accident.

When I disrobed I left my peel on the floor and she slipped and broke her hip. She was never the same after that. Then finally she just split. Geez, all I could say was "thanks a bunch".

So yes, we have no bananazzzzzz.

That was the cheesiest use of banana metaphors I've ever heard. :bow: :bow:

p.s, how can I get in on these Q&A things? Just start typing in the answer to the most recent question?

Yes Shana, that's all you have to do. Old55 will let us know who's correct later tonight. He's in Australia so the time zone comes into play. Then just watch the point totals.

Welcome to Songfacts and good luck in the trivia quiz.

PS: Watch out for that Sammy...he's a dog! :laughing:

Question A - Chains, Boys and Please Mr Postman were all recorded by three girl groups of the early 1960's before they were recorded by the Beatles. The Cookies (Chains), The Shirelles (Boys) and The Marvelettes (Please Mr Postman).
:coolio: WELL DONE KATIE ! :) 5 Points to you and 1 to all who had a go (even Sammy - who's Clarence?). I can't really pick a 2 pointer there. ::

I love logging in here each morning and seeing the byplay that's taken place while I was snoring. Love the banana jokes. Who remembers the "Banana Splits" TV show? When I play or sing the "Tra La La" song for my 7 month old grandson it just cracks him up. ::

NOW, The Beach Boys Question. No correct answer there yet. When you read it again you'll see why some of the answers didn't apply.*

QUESTION The Beach Boys had two US Top 40 Hits that have something very much in common. I can't think of any other artist or group with a similar feat. Can you name the two songs?

*They were both written by Brian Wilson;

*Both in the 1960s;

NOT about surfing (OR CARS).

Just have a look at the Beach Boys' Discology a few times and you'll get it I'm sure. I'll update all the points later. ;)

Diggs, you just can't leave that banana alone, huh?

"E-lec-trical banana is bound to be the very next craze...

They call it mellow yellow (quite right-ly)"

Some Great one-liners ! Donovan's one of my favorite artists and "Mellow Yellow" is a great song. You probably know Paul McCartney (quite right-ly) sang backup.

I was going to use a question about "Hurdy Gurdy Man", but I found two thirds of the answer here on Songfacts (Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones played guitars on it) so I sent the "other third" to Carl - John Bonham played drums on it also. Not long after, they formed Led Zeppelin with Robert Plant. Also George Harrison co-wrote it and JPJ produced it + a couple of other Donovan Hits. :)

P.S> THERE IS A CLUE IN MY LAST POSTING ABOUT THE BEACH BOYS SONGS ! :o

QUESTION The Beach Boys had two US Top 40 Hits that have something very much in common. I can't think of any other artist or group with a similar feat. Can you name the two songs?

*Both in the 1960s;

Were the two hits one and the same song?

The song was a hit then was re-released later in the 60's and was a hit again.

It was either Sloop John B or Wouldn't It Be Nice.

Hmmmmm, I'll go with Sloop John B.

I've JUST been able to gain access again. Very frustrating.

Sorry Uncle - not that. Here's the Question again.

QUESTION: The Beach Boys had two US Top 40 Hits that have something very much in common. Can you name the two songs?

*Both in the 1960s;

*I can't think of any other artist or group with a similar feat.

I repeat just have a look at the Beach Boys' Discology a few times and you'll get it I'm sure. ::

ok, a stupid guess. Two songs have one word titles, repeated 3 times: Dance,Dance,Dance and Fun,Fun,Fun.
:coolio: :coolio: NOT Stupid at all! THAT'S IT! CONGRATULATIONS WINDY. :) The only other act I can think of who have had this in common is Abba with "Money, Money, Money" and "Gimme, Gimme, Gimme (A Man After Midnight)" - but that wasn't a Hit in the U.S.

I have to go out for a while, so I'll put on another question now and update the points from the last 2 quizzes later(provided I can get into the site).

QUESTION: I'm thinking of something in common that these 3 Musicians did related to their art (not sports, etc.): Bob Dylan, John Entwistle (The Who), Joni Mitchell. Any ideas?

:P

Well done Carole on the "Beach Boys" question. You and Katie are doing really well out in front at the moment. MarcM got 2 points for an Honorable mention in the "Beach Boys" one also.

HERE'S THE UPDATED POINTS

Windy1 12

katie sane 12

UncleJoe 9

edna 4

miamisammy 4

MarcM 2

Tenacious Peaches 2

jr 1

addictedtoclassic 1

I don't know if John Entwistle ever took part in any protest rallies - I'd say the other two did.

So we might be able to get a couple more questions in, I'll tell everyone that there is a CLUE in my wording of the current question. (NO, the 3 of them aren't "related" as far as I know. My Wife just asked that).

Don't Forget - this month's quiz is only a "shorty" and finishes at 12.01 A.M. Sunday 13th Songfacts Time. Some Rock stamps will the prize to the winner. Last month's INAUGRAL COMPETITION WINNER, addictedtoclassic, chose these Beatles stamps. (I didn't have any Lynrd Skynrd ones !)

:)

dazstamp0130.jpg

dazstamp0126.jpg