OLD 55's ONGOING MUSIC KNOWLEDGE QUIZ

OLD 55

Hi bazooka! Funny, it's been good since we got back from vacation. This is the first time I've had a problem with it. Juusst when you thought it was safe to go back in the water....

Here's the 2 unanswered questions with some hints as promised.

QUESTION A

WHICH 1960's TOP 10 SONG HAS THE LONGEST PAUSE FOR BREATH (evident when you hear it) and which Artist/Group sang it ???

Uncle is on 2 Points so far - Teddy Bear is a good answer, but this one has a much longer pause. CLUE: It's a NOVELTY song.

QUESTION C

What's the connection between these 3 1950s R&B Artists/ Groups?

* Lloyd Price

* Smiley Lewis

* The Drifters (Original Lineup)

CLUE: They had a lot of great songs. Maybe some other singers thought so too??

:thumbsup:

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C) All have had songs of their made into hits by other performers ?

Yes with the posting dates, I felt like was in an H.G. Wells story. Happy New Year Everyone ! --- 1970 again , eh ? GROOVY ! Now to go and buy some Apple and Toyota stock and a hoard of new "Let It Be " albums before it's too late ! :laughing:

Gees, I'm a bit slow! I looked at the posting times, but didn't notice the year. 1969. It was a very good year. Elvis was #1 with "Suspicious Minds" on my Wedding Day. :)

C. Kevin, Mate, WHICH ONE though? :laughing:

P.S. HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO. This means that many of our Songfacts members aren't/weren't born yet? Do I go through and erase the points of anyone under 35. This raises a lot of Theological questions to ponder upon. Hmm! I think I'll go and have lunch instead.

:jester:

QUESTION A

WHICH 1960's TOP 10 SONG HAS THE LONGEST PAUSE FOR BREATH (evident when you hear it) and which Artist/Group sang it ???

Uncle is on 2 Points so far - Teddy Bear is a good answer, but this one has a much longer pause. CLUE: It's a NOVELTY song.

Is it that darn "Name Game" song? By Shirley Ellis, right?

I think/hope that everyone here knows I'm a very honest person. That reference I made to Elvis being #1 on our Wedding Day in 1969 WAS completely innocent and NOT intended as a clue.

Val and I were having lunch, and I was telling her about the "1969" date mixup on the Site, and what I'd put about our Wedding Day and she said "isn't Elvis the answer to one of your questions?". UHOH. Kevin and I have become good friends through Songfacts, but neither of us would Cheat.

:thumbsdown:

SO :coolio: "They all had songs later recorded by Elvis "?

is correct for Question C. CONGRATULATIONS KEVIN !! :) :)

The R & B songs were:

Lloyd Price (1952) - "Lawdy Miss Clawdy"

Smiley Lewis (1956) - "One Night"

The Drifters (1954) - "Such a Night" (also a Pop Hit for Johnny Ray in 1954).

I think Bluesboy would have gotten this one too!

:)

Hi Elvish. Hope you're going well, although you must be uncomfortable! Cheers to you and Hubby. Not the "Name Game", in fact nowhere near as clever. You could learn the words of this song in question very quickly!

:)

Thanks, 55! ::

Another guess: Herman's Hermits "Henry the Eighth?"

No Kevin, You're a big boy. I just thought it looked a bit SUS. :)

You've saved me anyway: "Money Honey" was sung by the recognized ORIGINAL Drifters (with Clyde McPhatter as lead singer) in 1953. I just looked it up, and it was their biggest R&B Hit - #1 for 11 weeks! I reckon you earned your 5 points.

:thumbsup:

WITH QUESTION A: This song is about as subtle (if that's the word) as the Three Stooges. I just played it, and the pause lasts a tad over 3 seconds. I'd call it a Novelty Rocker. :)

Announcement : To all playing this game today

Due to a glitch in the system (?) this thread may disappear if someone posts ahead of it. You will be able to find it at the back of the listing of "Fun and Games", ( around pg. 42 or so ! ) and continue to play as normal. You will then launch the thread to the top of the list , as expected. As long as the game is not pre-empted by another post, it will remain as the most recent post and you will see it accordingly. If not, go to the back and search. A real pain, but I hope it's temporary.