Did someone else cover Dream On before Aerosmith?

GeeterMcgee

I know Steven Tyler wrote the song, and thought till recently Aerosmith was the first to have the song out on an album. Recently I've heard that Led Zepplin covered the song evidently before Steven wound up with Aerosmith covering it. I've also heard speculation that The Guess Who covered it first.

Can someone definitively isolate the facts here?

For a start, Zeppelin never covered Dream On. In fact, I doubt many people actually heard Dream On when it first surfaced because it was on Aerosmith's first LP which flopped and as a single it flopped too. It only ever became a hit after the Toys In The Attic LP and the Rocks LP were huge hits and the single was re-released in 1976.

Jippers I'm with you. I've never heard Zep cover this, and I'm pretty darn sure I've heard everything in print from them.

I've heard it from people that I work with, and when going on line and checking different sites; I see others answering that they are sure Zepplin recorded it before Aerosmith. Now I tried to stand on my 99.9% belief that it was Aerosmith to first put it out. It ocurred to me that perhaps in the early days Steven Tyler was trying to just get his music writing talent going, and what better way to do that at the time (other than Aerosmith)?

Franctly I don't believe anyone has ever coverered it in recording, but I'm trying to support my point of view with others at work who are in doubt.

Catherine, I personally agree. I've just seen alot of people who seem to believe there was a previous recording of "Dream On" by someone other than Aerosmith. Like I said in the original post: I've seen Led Zepplin as the No.1 choice of original performers, and rangeing to The Guess Who. I honestly believe it was Aerosmith, however, I've been thrown a curve on this one, and admit that what if it were possible? Thank you for your response.

I actually have the CD of the first Aerosmith LP, which I consider to be one of my favourite LPs of all time, but I don't have it with me currently. However I did just check on AMG and it appears that Dream On is in fact NOT a cover, but it has a writing credit of Steve Tyler. This is enough to call it an original recording and not a cover.

The only cover I know of isn't really a cover, but a sample used by Eminem (with Aerosmith's blessing I hear) on the song "Sing For The Moment". Sacreligious I reckon, but hey, it's probably the best thing and most musical thing you'll ever hear on an Eminem record anyway. Still, it doesn't make me want to buy his album though.

For a start, Zeppelin never covered Dream On. In fact, I doubt many people actually heard Dream On when it first surfaced because it was on Aerosmith's first LP which flopped and as a single it flopped too. It only ever became a hit after the Toys In The Attic LP and the Rocks LP were huge hits and the single was re-released in 1976.

I was one of those people that bought Aerosmith's self titled first album back in '73.

I was floored! I still to this day don't understand how it "flopped." It's a great album, not a bad song on it IMO.

It's amazing to me what people consider better.

Their third album, Toys in the Attic got the ball rolling and while a very good album it's nowhere near as good as their second album, Get Your Wings or their greatest album, IMO, their first.

Anyone that hasn't heard the whole first album or second album by Aerosmith has never really heard Aerosmith. Don't forget Rocks, their fourth. After Rocks Aerosmith started having major problems with drugs and their music suffered IMO.

I like Aerosmith like I like my oysters, raw. They go great with my new title.

"Rock Lobsterrrrrrr, ooh-ooh-ooh wa!"

• 1 month later...

I actually have the song if any of you would like to hear it.It's definetly NOT Aerosmith.Just post on here and i'll get your AIM name and send it to you if you want.Problem is I have no idea who's performing the song,but it does sound alot like Led Zepplin.

I actually have the song if any of you would like to hear it.It's definetly NOT Aerosmith.Just post on here and i'll get your AIM name and send it to you if you want.Problem is I have no idea who's performing the song,but it does sound alot like Led Zepplin.

The entire first Aerosmith LP doesn't sound anything like Aerosmith. This is probably why "Dream On" sounds like someone else. I own this very LP and I can personally vouch for the fact that it IS AN AEROSMITH ORIGINAL. Go to the CD/LP and check the writing credit for yourself. (emphasis with capital letters not intended to sound angry!!)