Did Bob Marley ever sing "Don't Worry Be Happy"?

Stoddard

Hi, first post here,

I was just curious. I'm a huge Marley fan. I thought I knew everything about Bob. Anyway, some guy at work swears that Bob Marley sang "Don't Worry Be Happy". I was under the impression that this was Bobby McFerrin's song back in the late 80's. I've never heard a Bob Marley version of this. Does anyone know if he wrote it? If he did, did he ever record it?

I've seen this song mislabeled in friends MP3 collections as well tagging it as a Marley song when it's clearly McFerrin singing. Any input would help me resolve this dispute. Please help!!! :guitar:

Welcome, Stoddard! No, I don´t believe Bob Marley ever sang that song... it was released by Bobby McFerrin in 1988, and Marley died in 1881. Besides, it´s not his style... But as I might be wrong, one never knows, I´ll let somebody confirm this...

(P.S.: No...)

Thanks, I think we're both right! I knew Marley died in 1981 of cancer, but this guy claims Marley recorded it years before McFerrin.

As you might be able to guess, I'm not a big fan of "this guy" at work, he's a bit of a know-it-all, which is fine when he starts talking about cars, engineering jargon, sh*t like that, but when he starts to claim he's omniscient about Music I have to intervene. You see, music is my passion, and he justs likes to be right (even when he's wrong). Other people are fooled by his psuedo-knowledge, but now I know for certain - he is FULL OF SH*T! Claims he knows when he doesn't! Sorry for the rant!

You're right though, it doesn't even sound like Bob!

Peace in 4 years!

Stoddardvilla

"The vocalist, composer and conductor Bobby McFerrin knows the joy of those flashes of inspiration: His best-known song, the 1988 hit "Don't Worry, Be Happy," was written in a torrid 45 minutes, during a mixing session for an album he had thought was complete"

I found this googling... it´s from The Mercury. If you search "don´t worry be happy story Bobby McFerrin" you´ll find it in fifth or sixth place... maybe this could help.

Wow, Edna, thanks a lot! That's exactly what I needed - some definitive information. I googled about every possible combination, but I didn't try 'story'. Very nice!!! I knew it was Marley, but you can't explain that to a know-it-all. I lived and breathed Marley through my high school and college years. Always blaring from my speakers during the summer! I think I had everything he ever released.

Anway, I say your Beatles avatar. I love the Beatles, but I wouldn't want to get into a Beatles/Stones argument with you. Something tells me you could hold your own. I guess they're different though. The Beatles were more pop-rock, and the Stones were down and dirty rock & roll, "sitting in the basement room, with a needle and a spoon, and another girl to take my pain away". Down and dirty sh*t. That would never come out of John or Paul's mouth! All a matter of taste. I love the Beatles though, they probably surpassed the Stones in their collective songwriting abilities.

Thanks again,

Peace,

Stoddardvilla

I wouldn't want to get into a Beatles/Stones argument.

You´re welcome again, Stoddard... glad if I can help. We have plenty of Beatles/Stones arguments in Songfacts already, they´re very funny, it brings me back to the 60s/70s!!! I am a fan of both... If you want to read some try to search among the threads... I´ll do a search for you anyway and post the threads I find, but I can´t do it right now...

"sitting in the basement room, with a needle and a spoon, and another girl to take my pain away"
And that is some of my fave Stones line!!!! :laughing: :laughing: I know, they´ve been a bad influence for kids if you mean "drugs"... but then again, I can´t help loving them... I´m a huge fan... and I always took candy from strangers...!! ;)

As you might be able to guess, I'm not a big fan of "this guy" at work, he's a bit of a know-it-all, which is fine when he starts talking about cars, engineering jargon, sh*t like that, but when he starts to claim he's omniscient about Music I have to intervene.

I think I dated that guy :o

• 3 weeks later...

I am 100% sure your friends are confusing "Don't worry, be happy" with "Three little birds". Don't worry about a ting, cuz every little ting is gonna be alright, rize up this mornin, smile with the rizin sun, three little birds, sit by my doorstep, singin a sweet song, a melodys pure and true, singin "This is my message to you-hoo-hoo :beatnik:!

• 11 years later...
  • 2 years later...