The Seventies - golden age of rock!

Mike

I was thinking how the fifties pioneered R&B and Rock became defined. The sixties was sort of a testing ground, lots of great stuff but all over the road, then half the rocker died of drug overdose. Then the seventies! Where bands like Pink Floyd, Yes and Rush hit their grooves, Kiss emerged. The more of the best music came from this decade.

I was just listening to Fleetwood Mac - Rumours and this got me to thinking about how great the seventies music scene was!

So many more to list...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Led Zeppelin did some of their best stuff in the 70s (not all though). Kiss came, rockin' out :rockon: Ramones were doing their thing, and The Clash put out one of the best albums ever, London Calling. Alice Cooper was rockin' out, same with Styx (Mr. Roboto, Come Sail Away, Renegade, oh hells yes!)

The Who were still in the game, though the 70's werent really their time...

Can't think of anymore, I may be wrong about some of that stuff with time eras and all, but it seems just about right to me :jester:

the 70's was certainly a massively productive era, alot of bands did their best stuff then.....The Who certainly came of age in the 70's - 'who's next?' (71) and Quadrophenia (73 - my favourite who album - funnily enough ive got 'the who by numbers' and 'Dark side of the moon' with me today.....i can't stop listening to 'Time' at the minute, it's an absolutely amazing song, i can't speak highly enough of it, 'im playing 'Us and Them' at the minute.....did anyone watch 'classic albums' BBC2 last night - Dark side of the moon, ive got the DVD but it was worth watching again......! - other favourite albums of mine in the 70's

All things must pass - George Harrison (70)

Imagine - John Lennon(71)

Band On The Run - Wings (74)

Low - David Bowie (77)

Setting Sons - The Jam (79)

Rumours - Fleetwood Mac (77)

London Calling - The Clash (79)

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin (75)

Blood On The Tracks - Bob Dylan (75)

Let it Be - The Beatles - (70)

Ram - Paul McCartney - (71)

Quadrophenia - The Who (73)

Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd(73)

The Wall - Pink Floyd (79)

golden era indeed.

Allright y'all, not even talking the "supergroups" just think of the great music that came from these people/groups(and this is just off the top of my head, this was my time):

The Rolling Stones

Lynard Skynard

The Allman Brothers

Jethro Tull

Bob Seger

Chicago

Fleetwood Mac

The Guess Who

Creedance Clearwater Reavival

Rod Stewart (with and without Faces)

Carole King

James Taylor

The Hollies

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young

Neil Young

Elton John

Grand Funk

Mountain

Dr John

The Eagles

The Steve Miller Band

The Electric Light Orchestra

Kansas

The Little River Band

Supertramp

The Charlie Daniels Band

These are just some favorites of mine, there are lots more.

oh yeah, lets not forget:The Village People!!! :googly:

Lynyrd Skynyrd of the 70's is my favorite Southern Rock gathering and in 1975 they put together the absolute best team of rockers Lynyrd Skynyrd ever saw.

Ronnie Van Zant

Allen Collins

Gary Rossington

Steve Gaines

Leon Wilkeson

Billy Powell

Artimus Pyle

It just doesn't get any better than that. The lyrics they wrote and the styles they created were way more than anyone attempts in modern age. They took the wonders of Blues Rock and turned it into so many different things that were soon defined as the wonders of Southern Rock. The 70's allowed so many groups to do so many creative things that music has never been better since. Skynyrd is just an example...

All my favorite bands peaked in the seventies, like AC/DC, Queen, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd. Almost all my favorite music comes from the 70s.

im not so sure that AC/DC peaked in the 70's. but they were definately on the scene. I mean, with Bon Scott they did great stuff, but in 1980 (im pretty sure this was when Back in Black came out, correct me if im wrong) Back in Black came, which is definately their most well known album. Just an opinion... :headphones:

I cut my musical teeth in the 70's. Until I started mowing lawns and shoveling snow at about 12 years old, I used to spend my allowance ($5.00) on 45's every week. It was like the holy grail getting to go to the record store each week. (Once I started making enough money on my own, I bought LPs.) I would buy 4 or 5 45's at a time religiously. Of course it wasn't until later, looking back on it that I realized what cool music was out then. Even though disco was what was on the radio, there was this small underground group of weirdos that smoked pot (gasp!) and listened to Rush and Alice Cooper and Queen and Led Zep and Deep Purple and all of the stuff that made the seventies worthwhile. No doubt there was a ton of great tunes out then, they just didn't get played on the radio where I lived. (Holland, MI., where there are more churches than people).

I cut my musical teeth in the 70's. Until I started mowing lawns and shoveling snow at about 12 years old, I used to spend my allowance ($5.00) on 45's every week. It was like the holy grail getting to go to the record store each week. (Once I started making enough money on my own, I bought LPs.) I would buy 4 or 5 45's at a time religiously. Of course it wasn't until later, looking back on it that I realized what cool music was out then. Even though disco was what was on the radio, there was this small underground group of weirdos that smoked pot (gasp!) and listened to Rush and Alice Cooper and Queen and Led Zep and Deep Purple and all of the stuff that made the seventies worthwhile. No doubt there was a ton of great tunes out then, they just didn't get played on the radio where I lived...

I remember offering 'blue ribbon' brownies to Friends,

just like you .

::

• 2 weeks later...

Allright y'all, not even talking the "supergroups" just think of the great music that came from these people/groups(and this is just off the top of my head, this was my time):

The Rolling Stones

Lynard Skynard

The Allman Brothers

Jethro Tull

Bob Seger

Chicago

Fleetwood Mac

The Guess Who

Creedance Clearwater Reavival

Rod Stewart (with and without Faces)

Carole King

James Taylor

The Hollies

Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young

Neil Young

Elton John

Grand Funk

Mountain

Dr John

The Eagles

The Steve Miller Band

The Electric Light Orchestra

Kansas

The Little River Band

Supertramp

The Charlie Daniels Band

These are just some favorites of mine, there are lots more.

oh yeah, lets not forget:The Village People!!! :googly:

A great list, Windy. I would also add Tom Petty & The HeartBreakers, Dire Straits, George Thorogood and John Mellencamp. I really began to listen to music in earnest during the 70's. I grew up in a small Saskatchewan town where good record stores were few and far between. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when we visited a cousin of mine in Houston in 1976. I went to a store called Tower Records (if memory serves) and came out with 38 albums. I'd have bought more if we'd had more room in our car. Ah, those fabulous 70's! :thumbsup: