Most Melodic songs of all time?

I can think of several of the greatest songs of melodic importance. Perhaps you can clue me in on some that I've missed from my following inputs:

1. Stairway to heaven, Led Zepplin

2. Sweet Emotion, Aerosmith

3. Don't Fear the Reaper, Blue Oyster Cult

4. Dream On, Aerosmith

5. If you don't know me by now, Herold Melvin & The Blue Notes.

Take it from there, toss it around, and spit something out. Please try not to limit it to just rock, or any one genre. If you are into just one, that's o.k. too!

I can also think of several bands who's fame is based on Melodic music. Perhaps you'd just like to name a band, with some examples of their music?

Thanks, CHAFF

Melody: A series of notes that is often singable. The part of the song that gets stuck in your head (creates an earworm). For me, some of those songs are:

Bob Seger - Turn The Page

Cream - Sunshine Of Your Love

Stone Temple Pilots - Interstate Love Song

The Doors - LA Woman

Gary Wright - Dream Weaver

Grass Roots - Live For Today

Led Zeppelin - In the Evening

Moody Blues - Nights In White Satin

Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama

Pink Floyd - Have a Cigar

J Geils Band - One Last Kiss

Santana - Black Magic Woman

Rush - Limelight

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

Apparently, Catherine has access to portions of my personal 'play-list' from the past few days. She listed 14 songs, 7 of which I've listened to during the past week. STP, Zeppelin, Floyd, Rush and the Moody Blues were all from CD's. Baker Street and Dream Weaver were MP3's leftover from the good old days with Napster. Very weird.

Anyway, yeah, "Nights in White Satin" would be at the top of my list. "Baker Street" would also make the list. For Zeppelin I would have picked "Going to California" and for Floyd, "Us and Them". Some others would be:

The Beatles, "The long and winding road"

Chicago, "If you leave me now"

Peter Gabriel, "Solsbury Hill"

New Radicals, "You only get what you give"

Lloyd Cole, "Downtown"

Foo Fighters, "Next year"

Stone Roses, "How do you sleep"

World Party, "When the Rainbow Comes"

The The, "Uncertain Smile"

Babys, "Every Time I Think of You"

Bronski Beat, "Smalltown Boy"

Cranberries, "Linger"

I could list many more. "Don't fear the Reaper" wouldn't make this list but I have the CD and love the song. Possibly my definition of melodic isn't the same. If a song getting stuck in your head is the definition then my all time number one melodic song would have to be a song from a McDonald's commercial that was used in the late '70's. Of course it didn't have a name but it started off "Keep your eyes off my fries..." That's the only line I know, but even today when I'm eating french fries and someone tries to steal some I find myself singing that line in my head. Now I'll probably be thinking about it all day tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to second Cindy's suggestion of Pink Floyd "Us and Them". That is very melodic.

Another melodic Floyd song (similar to Us and Them IMO )"Wearing the Inside Out".

Another great-outside of the Floyd realm- is Silent Lucidity by Queensryche! :thumbsup:

A few off the top of my head...

Bad Company - Shooting Star

Black Sabbath - Nativity in Black

Boston - More than a Feeling

Derek & the Dominos - Layla

The Doors - LA Woman

Led Zeppelin - Trampled Under Foot

Pink Floyd - Learning to Fly

Rush - Subdivisions

Tom Petty - Running Down a Dream

Yes - Owner of a Lonely Heart

• 4 weeks later...

To take a hint from the original post, I'll move to another time and genre. Two songs, same artist. Patsy Cline.

Crazy and Walkin After Midnight. Make that three songs. I might have to add the Tenessee Waltz. Miss Cline had one of the most melodic voices I can think of.

Will you reccomend me some albums?

No. I'm still mad at Gilmour for keeping the Pink Floyd name. I only had A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. I must admist I like it, but you can hear the huge viod, which they try to fill with choruses and dubs. I think I heard Division Bell once, but I don't remmember none of it, so I guess it wasn't that good. I would go for the Syd solo stuff if I were you.

I salute Gilmour for keeping the name Pink Floyd after Roger Waters left because he was being a drama queen. Roger Waters thought he could make or break the band, and he was wrong. I know for The Division Bell they got a bass player. I really liked the songs on it. I hear Roger's solo stuff sucks, although I haven't heard it. I have never heard any of Syd's solo stuff either.

No. I'm still mad at Gilmour for keeping the Pink Floyd name. I only had A Momentary Lapse Of Reason. I must admist I like it, but you can hear the huge void, which they try to fill with choruses and dubs. I think I heard Division Bell once, but I don't remmember none of it, so I guess it wasn't that good. I would go for the Syd solo stuff if I were you.

Syd's stuff is fantastic. His solo stuff sounds a little more... raw, but definitely worth getting if early PF is your cup o' tea.

Ditto on the Gilmour thing. Without Roger Waters, they became a passe act resting on their laurels. It's a prime example of what happens when egos clash within a mighty band. It would be tantamount to Sting calling himself "The Police" or Morrissey referring to himself as "The Smiths".

I hear Roger's solo stuff sucks, although I haven't heard it.

I bought "The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking" when it first came out, in the mid-eighties, I think. I don't recall anything from it, and I didn't bother to replace it when I converted to CD, so it must not of been much.

I would not change the name of a band because one member left. David Gilmour was a better musician than Roger Waters, and from what I have heard, every bit as good as a writer. I do wish Roger Waters wouldn't have left the band, it wasn't the same without him, but they still carried on fine, it was just..different. Still, I have no sympathy for Roger Waters. His ego was too big for the band. I'm not sure about the details of what happened, but he didn't need to leave the band. Roger Waters was not a good team-worker. The Final Cut was extremely self indulgent. Every song on there should be called "My name's Roger Waters. My father died in the war and I am a big baby. I became Syd Barrets b**ch and don't care about anyone but myself" If Roger Waters could have realized he wasn't the only member of Pink Floyd, they may have stayed together. He had the chance to reunite plenty of times, but kept on his solo career. The songs I have heard from The Division Bell were good, and they were written by Pink Floyd, regardless of whether or not Waters was in it.

Both David and Roger were drama queens, but it don't matter to me cuz Pink Floyd died after The Final Cut. And yes the Syd solo stuff is great. I love The Madcap and Vegetable Man. It's kinda sad though cuz it's almost like hearing him going deeper and deeper into insanity. Some of the songs are not even finished. I saw a recent picture of him and I wish I didn't.