Shakespear's Sister

Foxy

"Comprised of Siobhan Fahey and Marcella Detroit (born Marcy Levy), Shakespear's Sister formed in late 1988. Fahey had several hits as a member of Bananarama, and Levy was the backup vocalist for Eric Clapton in the late '70s. After their first single flopped, Shakespeare's Sister's second single, "You're History," made it into the U.K. Top Ten. Sacred Heart, their 1989 debut, also made it into the Top Ten. Most of the material on Sacred Heart and the 1991 follow-up Hormonally Yours was written with producer Richard Feldman, who gave the band a polished, synth-laden R&B feel, along the lines of the Eurythmics. "Stay," the first single from Hormonally Yours, was a Top Five hit on both sides of the Atlantic; the follow-up single, "I Don't Care," cracked the U.K. Top 20, yet failed to make the U.S. Top 40. Despite their success, the duo broke up the following year." ~ Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide

Who remembers Shakespear's Sister?

I remember buying their "Hormonally Yours" Album when I was about 11, as I loved the song "Stay".

"if this world is wearing thin

and you're thinking of escape

i'll go anywhere with you

just wrap me up in chains

but if you try to go alone

don't think i'll understand

stay with me

stay with me

in the silence of your room

in the darkness of your dreams

you must only think of me

there can be no in-betweens

when your pride is on the floor

i'll make you beg for more

stay with me

stay with me

you'd better hope and pray

that you make it safe

back to your own world

you'd better hope and pray

that you wake one day

in your own world

'cuz when you sleep at night

they don't hear your cries

in your own world

only time will tell

if you can break the spell

back in your own world

stay with me

stay with me

(repeats til end)"

I only thought of them today as I saw the video for "You're History" playing on a music channel this afternoon, reminded me how much I loved their few songs that made it in the UK Top 40, and thats not very many! I loved "Stay", "You're History" and "I Don't Care". I'm not sure how popular thery were anywhere else, as they weren't around for very long at all.

From what I've just read about the video, it was about a dying man and his girlfriend (Detroit) singing "stay with me" to him and then Fahey coming into scene and trying to take him from her with a malicious smile on her face singing that she should go accept facts and face reality ("you'd better hope and pray that you'll wake one day in your own world, 'cause when you dream at night they don't hear your cries in your own world"). It begins as a ballad but suddenly turns into a slow guitar based rock.