10 Songs that bring tears to your eyes

trickster

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprising as it may seem, (and unless I'm very much mistaken), Paul Potts is a graduate from one of these "X-Factor/Pop Idol" shows, UK version.

I'm not familiar with this stuff myself, as I don't watch those shows, but he was the surprise success of 2007; a class and a half above the rest, so I'm told. His album went straight to the top of the UK charts in no time at all.

The guy is amazing. As good as/better than Domingo-Carreras-Pavarotti, Bocelli. While I am not a scholar of opera, and other than a few sporadic words I don't understand the language, I like it. I'll expose my ignorance, but when the singer sustains a note and produced that fluid-like waver, it makes me wish I could do that. And this Paul Potts fellow does it beautifully...

I must disagree, Ken. At this stage, I don't think he is in the same league as Pavarotti or Domingo. Pavarotti was, arguably, one of the two or three best operatic tenors in history and Domingo (although I consider him more of a baritone than a tenor) has the kind of voice that only comes around once in a long while.

Potts has a wonderful voice, and with vocal training, he could become even better. It is certainly not inconceivable that he could become a major player in operatic circles.

Last night, I watched Amadeus again for the first time in 20 years. I'd forgotten just how brilliant and entertaining a film it is.

There is a moment in the film where Salieri as an old man, relating his turbulent history with Mozart to a priest, recounts a particular moment when he is reviewing a number of Mozart's original compositions. He is amazed that the pieces were first and only drafts of music that Mozart heard in his head and put down, unedited, on paper. He tells the priest that the music elicits in him such feelings of joy, wonder and longing that it is as if he is hearing the word of God.

This particular moment in the film reminded me that music does not have to have a lyric in order to bring forth a whole range of emotions. Many pieces of classical music can and do bring tears to my eyes when I hear them.

Claire de lune - Debussy

Gymnopedies 1 & 3 - Satie

Pavane pour une infante defunte - Ravel

Barcarolle - Offenbach

Reverie - Debussy

Venus, The Bringer Of Peace from Holst's The Planets

There are many, many more examples.

Due to my lack of knowledge on the subject, I'll acquiesce. My authority is limited to the ownership of the "Three Tenors" cd, played when I am cooking or on a long car ride to Toronto. As beauty is indeed in the ear of the beholder, I find the guy just as good.... I was cooking for the family once, no one was home yet, and I tried to hit one of the notes. I was reminded of the time I was at an amusement park, loaded a taco chip up with hot sauce and flipped it to a nearby seagull.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...