Songs about depression/abuse/...

broken_vampire

Hopefully someone can help me with this... ::

I'm looking after songs about depression/self-mutilation/(child)abuse/loneliness and all that other "good" stuff. Any genre is welcome: from metal to pop. Well, if you want to know why, well I'm suffering from all of those things (no I don't need no pity) and I'm just looking for songs in who I can relate in.

Thanks!!!

(Ok, I'm not perfect in my English, so give me a break. I usely speak dutch ;) )

Does anyone else get a box asking for network password because "someone has illegally stolen bandwith from mad-sky.com?"

broken_vampire I think your avatar is causing the problem as you've tried to link to it from another website that doesn't allow it!!

Beware the bandwidth police!!!! :afro:

hi,melanie is it? i saw your photos on the 'your photograph' thread. in the first one you look like my boyfriend's sister - very pretty, but jr's right, you should smile now and then. i've been through alot of the things you talked about in your post as i'm sure have many other people here. if you need to talk feel free to send me a pm. at the time when i was very low i listened to the manic street preachers alot, particularly 'the holy bible' and 'gold against the soul'. however, i wouldn't necessarily recommend listening to depressing songs when you feel down as it can just make the cycle worse. what you really need to do is find someone (or more than one person) you can trust and tell them what's going on and how you're feeling. your friends may find it difficult but if they're willing to be there for you, you shouldn't push them away but instead be grateful for their help. others haven't been so lucky. however, i would strongly recommend that you talk to someone at school like a school counsellor or a teacher you look up to and who you trust. the majority of people working in schools are there because they want to help young people. i reached out to my teachers when i needed help and they were lifesavers.

Suzanne Vega's song about child-abuse, "My Name is Luka", was actually a radio hit in North America. The lyrics are weighter than they sounded on air:

I live on the second floor

I live upstairs from you, Yes I think you've seen me before

If you hear something late at night, Some kind of trouble, some kind of fight

Just don't ask me what it was ( x3 )

Maybe it's because I'm clumsy, I try not to talk too loud

Maybe it's because I'm crazy, I try not to act too proud

They only hit until you cry, And after that you don't ask why

You just don't argue anymore ( x3 )

Yes, I think I'm okay, Walked into the door again

If you ask that's what I'll say, And it's not your business anyway

I guess I'd like to be alone, With nothing broken, nothing thrown

Just don't ask me how I am ( x3 )

My name is Luka, I live on the second floor

I live upstairs from you, Yes I think you've seen me before

If you hear something late at night, Some kind of trouble, some kind of fight

Just don't ask me what it was ( x3 )

And they only hit until you cry

And after that you don't ask why

You just don't argue anymore ( x3 )

Take care!

Adrian

Hoowee. I can name about a thousand songs with those themes. I had this permanent rain cloud following me wherever I went. Hahaha. One of the best things that happened to me was when I was left behind. It gave me such a different perspective about what being happy is about. I recommend exercise and maybe yoga/meditation. Combine that with some health foods and a good repertoire of existentialist readings from Camus, Sartre, and Kafka, and you'll be able to breathe a little deeper and smile. It's a weird, holistic way of making yourself feel better about yourself. When I get back to my place I can post a song or two in the meantime. I still do enjoy the sad songs on occasion :beatnik:

Thank you all for the messages and support, I really appreciate(hopefully I spelled it correctly) it! And oh Adrian22 thanks!

Well, I found a song by myself and euhm I want to share it with the rest of you, because maybe someone out there looks also after songs about this. Here is the text:

martina Mcbride ? concrete angel

She walks to school with the lunch she packed

Nobody knows what she's holdin' back

Wearin' the same dress she wore yesterday

She hides the bruises with linen and lace

The teacher wonders but she doesn't ask

It's hard to see the pain behind the mask

Bearing the burden of a secret storm

Sometimes she wishes she was never born

Through the wind and the rain

She stands hard as a stone

In a world that she can't rise above

But her dreams give her wings

And she flies to a place where she's loved

Concrete angel

Somebody cries in the middle of the night

The neighbors hear, but they turn out the lights

A fragile soul caught in the hands of fate

When morning comes it'll be too late

A statue stands in a shaded place

An angel girl with an upturned face

A name is written on a polished rock

A broken heart that the world forgot

Like you read it's about abuse. It's a sad depressing song and every time I hear it...well I start to cry. You really got to check it out, really beautiful song. Next to that I found other song about abuse 'Aerosmith - janie's got a gun' also a wonderfull song (well I like aerosmith)

Well If someone finds other songs, I would really apreciate if you post it!

Hoowee. I can name about a thousand songs with those themes. I had this permanent rain cloud following me wherever I went. Hahaha. One of the best things that happened to me was when I was left behind. It gave me such a different perspective about what being happy is about. I recommend exercise and maybe yoga/meditation. Combine that with some health foods and a good repertoire of existentialist readings from Camus, Sartre, and Kafka, and you'll be able to breathe a little deeper and smile. It's a weird, holistic way of making yourself feel better about yourself. When I get back to my place I can post a song or two in the meantime. I still do enjoy the sad songs on occasion :beatnik:

Bravo, XXX... clapping graemlin??? :drummer:

• 1 month later...

Best song that I know that deals with this kind of stuff is Adam's Song by Blink 182. I'll post the lyrics but the song itself is really nice so give it a listen.

I never thought I?d die alone

I laughed the loudest who?d have known

I traced the cord back to the wall

No wonder it was never plugged in at all

I took my time, I hurried up

The choice was mine, I didn?t think enough

I?m too depressed to go on

You?ll be sorry when I?m gone

I never conquered, rarely came

16 just held such better days

Days when I still felt alive

We couldn?t wait to get outside