The Evolution of Rock 'n' Roll

Addictedtoclassic

Everyone likes to talk about how The Beatles or Elvis or Pink Floyd or whoever are the biggest influences on rock 'n roll. But I see so many people who neglect to recognize other influences on rock 'n' roll.

If you view rock 'n' roll as a tree, you will find The Beatles and Elvis buried in the roots. But what if you go a little higher up that tree? I'd like to take the time to recognize other influential bands.

Bob Dylan - ultimately one of the first individuals to bring Folk Rock to mainstream music (followed shortly by Simon & Garfunkel). Regardless of the fact that his voice wasn't the greatest, his style was new.

The Who/Rolling Stones: By far the first two groups to bring entertainment into the world of rock 'n' roll. These two groups made concerts and shows and just listening to music more of a fun thing without reverting to pop-rock. They were the type that you could listen to while jumping around and screaming and getting tore even when you were in your mid-20's.

Allman Brothers Band: One of the best bands to bring about Southern Rock (with a blues rock blend) and led the way for the wonders of Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZ Top, .38 Special, and several others.

Pink Floyd: A truly gifted band with the ability to bring instruments into their music in ways that no one else ever imagined. Other than ELO, I would say Pink Floyd is the only band to successfully bring in an orchestra sound into a rock song without turning into a slow "love" or "deep thought" song.

Led Zeppelin: If you really listen hard, you can hear how heavy metal takes a lot of influence from Led Zeppelin. Many of the songs are fast and hard hitting and keep on going until the end. It's hard to think that heavy metal was truly born in 1968.

Eagles/Steely Dan: Brought about country rock with the majority of the stress on rock. Their clean sounds with heavy acoustic guitar influences helped to bring about the world of country as it is now.

Jimi Hendrix: Besides being a fantastic guitar player and a staple to the acid rock era, let's face it that Jimi Hendrix proved to the world that rock 'n' roll was not to be solely enjoyed by the white community. I truly believe that if Jimi Hendrix would have never been, the black community would have stuck to blues and soul music.

The Doors: Jim Morrison and his fantastic ability to put words into motion, brought a poetic side to rock 'n' roll. The meaning in some of their music paved the way for more seriousness to be brought about in the future.

Pearl Jam: Pearl Jam did a great job in bringing garage rock into the mainstream rock world. They may not have been the first, but they sure did a good job of making it known.

Nirvana: The staple for what becomes grunge rock when it splurged into the mainstream world. They set the stream for a new type of music listener.

Red Hot Chilli Peppers: Let's face it, alternative rock was born when RHCP was brought to mainstream. They helped to birth it and started a new revolution of musical style.

The Ramones: The birth of punk rock. They made it big so early on even though mainstream didn't quite catch for a few years.

Eric Clapton: Brought some of the blues into the world of rock 'n' roll. Not only can the true blues fan listen and appreciate his vast history of music, but the rock 'n' roll fan can listen and experience a world they are somewhat unfamiliar with.

Janis Joplin: She proved to the world that rock 'n' roll wasn't solely made for men. She paved the way for many rock 'n' roll women in the future. Even though her voice was horrendous and she wasn't very pretty to look at, she still rocked!

Bob Seger: Bob Seger showed us that there can be more than just words and music in rock 'n' roll. There can also be emotion, spirit (not in the religious sense), and heart in what is being played. Seger is a lot like Jim Morrison except that instead of poetry being conveyed, the meanings were closer to heart for many people.

I know this is long, but pick out the bands you like and feel free to add on to cover what is missing.

Did you not read the last line of the post...?

I know this is long, but pick out the bands you like and feel free to add on to cover what is missing.

There's no way I can sit here and form a well thought opinion on every single band out there. If you have anything to say about Queen or AC/DC, then say it. Form your own well thought out opinion. That's the whole point of my rambling on.

Jimi Hendrix: Besides being a fantastic guitar player and a staple to the acid rock era, let's face it that Jimi Hendrix proved to the world that rock 'n' roll was not to be solely enjoyed by the white community. I truly believe that if Jimi Hendrix would have never been, the black community would have stuck to blues and soul music.

Very true, and after hearing that, I would like to add Funkadelic to this list, who mixed 70s black and white music very well. Jimi brought white music to black people, and Funkadelic brought black music to white people. Plus, Ed Hazel is an amazing guitarist

Bah! This is just a "theory" ;)

Where's Kraftwerk in all this? Brian Eno and Robert Fripp? Holger Czukay? The Velvet Underground? You know? The missing link of where Rock turned into Electronica.

Btw, Steely Dan is not "Country Rock" nor do they credit Country as their major influence. It's Jazz.

Bah! This is just a "theory" ;)

Where's Kraftwerk in all this? Brian Eno and Robert Fripp? Holger Czukay? The Velvet Underground? You know? The missing link of where Rock turned into Electronica.

Doesn't anyone read the last line? If you have something to say, then say it. Don't just bitch about a band not being mentioned, add your two cents to the discussion.

Metallica for bringing hair metal to its knees

Black Sabbath you can hear their influence in almost any metal band. And they have some kick a** riffs.

The Sex Pistols for starting punk and including politics in their lyrics.

Rage Against The Machine for being the first popular 90's band to include political themes.

:rockon:

Leonard Cohen for making his funeral songs a part of rock and roll.

Jefferson Airplane, coz thay are just fantastic!

Bob Seger, for being rock and roll itself.

Graham nash, for making such beautifull melodies for rock and roll.

The Bee Gees, for the same reason, only they can´t be called really "rockers"...

The Pretenders, because Chrissie Hynde showed everybody how strong a rock and roll woman can be.

Blondie, because Debbie Harry showed everybody you can be blonde and intelligent and pop and yet, she rocks...

hey addictedtoclassic this is an excellent thread! When I read your list, I pretty much agreed with everything you said. I love all the artists you mentioned. They all had such an influence in so many different ways. ((I would also add David Bowie and KISS, glam rockers)).

edna, I agree with you too! Bob Seger IS pure rock. He is often overlooked though. :bow:

indeed, nobody sounds like Queen. Since nobody sounds like them, though, can you really say they influenced rock?

also, I'd like to add the sex pistols to that list. Even though I don't like their music, they are influential because they brought rock back to the basics, being loud, and rebelling.

I think I will also add AC/DC, just because they define rock.

Also, I will add Iron Butterfly, just for Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida, because IMO, that song defines the acid rock era. It also is the first ever heavy metal song, I think.