Good country songs

The_KrA-Z-8

I've noticed that everyone worth knowing listens to rock. Of course, some listen to soft, punk, metal, hard... but if you strip it down, rock. So i got to wondering, how could anyone like country? And if no one likes it, why was it even created. Can NE-1 name a good country song that i can listen to. NE-1 at all? i'm open to suggestions.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Cash- "I Walk The Line"

"Orange Blossom Special"

"Ring Of Fire"

"Folsom Prison Blues"

Dwight Yokam w/ Buck Owens - "Streets of Bakersville'

Marty Robbins - "El Paso"

Hank Williams Sr. "I'll Never Get Out Of This World Alive"

"Your Cheating Heart"

"Jambalaya"

"I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry"

"Hey Good Lookin'"

"There's a Tear In My Beer" w/ Jr.

"Poor Lonesome Me"

I could go on for hours...

Ken.

... and they guy who's married to Faith Hill (drawing a total blank on what his name is right now).

A little steal guitar... :guitar:

Tim McGraw

I always disdained country music until I got a job as a DJ at a small country music station in Middletown, Ohio in 1986. That opened my eyes. Some great musical talent in that genre with a history longer and richer than pop or rock (actually it all goes together.)

KT Oslin's "80's Ladies" is as profound as any Paul Simon creation.

Melodically, the album of Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt and Emmylou Harris titled "Trio" stands up against any listenable music of any genre. The one hit charted off that album is titled "Telling Me Lies." Find and listen to this song and you will never again say there is no country music that you like.

Patsy Cline is a cornerstone of country music.

:bow:

I agree with Bluesy completely (as ususal). You're a music guru! ::

Cosmo is on the right track with David Allan Coe - that is the perfect country-western song, after all!

Of course, Willie Nelson is one of my favorites. (Who knew I was going to mention him?) Check out this thread for some song suggestions.

I like country rock...

Addicted, have you ever heard of Cross Canadian Ragweed? I keep meaning to mention them to you because you're a Lynyrd Skynyrd fan. They've been compared to Skynyrd, among others. The label slapped on them is "alternative country" whatever that means. Check out some of their music on the website above and at allmusic.com."Soul Gravy" their latest, is awesome!

I should put them in the "Get the Word Out" forum.