Calling all ELO fans

Aunt_Acid

Oh, man, there's a whole list of their stuff I enjoy. Turn to Stone, Living Thing, Evil Woman, Do ya, Can't Get it Out of My Head, Strange Magic, Telephone Line...I could go on.

One I don't care for is Don't Bring Me Down. Nothing wrong with the song, I just had to play it a million times in a band I was in back in the early 80's.

ELO is an awesome band with an original sound and original material. They were among the first to introduce strings to a rock band making it a rock orchestra in the process. I like all the songs mentioned and several more. Rockestra is pretty cool.

And besides that Chris, Jeff Lynne can kick my butt.

Depending on the source you choose, Randy Newman's The Story Of A Rock And Roll Band (1979) is either "an affectionate tribute to the Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)" or a "mean-spirited mockery" and "spoof of their style". Anyway, years later, Jeff Lynne did background vocals and played keyboards, guitars & bass on Newman's "Land of Dreams" album (1988) and was producer of his song Falling In Love.

The Story Of A Rock And Roll Band

They were six fine English boys

Who knew each other in Birmingham

They bought a drum and guitar

Started a rock-roll band

And Johnny played little violin

And Bobby Joe played the big violin

The one that stands on the floor

They were all in the rock-roll band

Their first song sounded like this

Please get me a witness

Please get me a witness

Right off, they needed a name

Someone said, "How 'bout the Renegades ?"

Johnny said, "Well I don't know.

I prefer E.L.O."

I love their "Mr. Blue Skies"

Almost my favorite is "Turn to Stone"

And how 'bout "Telephone Line"?

I love that E.L.O.

Last DVD I got was ELO "Out of the Blue" Tour Live at Wembley. It´s rather (89) old but it´s full of great songs ("Turn to stone", "Showdown") and I like it. Jeff Lynne is a very good musician... He was a member of the Move in the 70s, the band of genius Roy Wood.

ELO were one of the first live bands I ever saw (back in the 70s in Australia - yeah ok in another lifetime). Their performance was so exciting with those classical violin riffs, pretty much unheard of waaaaay back then!

ELO were one of the first live bands I ever saw (back in the 70s in Australia - yeah ok in another lifetime).

I can't remember them coming to OZ (probably bypassed Brisbane). We were probably raising kids then anyway and I would have been listening more to "Sesame Street" . I have a few of their albums (including "Time", which I played to death). I've just put on "Discovery". Gee it's a great album. Top Marks for good taste in creating this thread Chris ! :)

MUSICAL INTERLUDE:

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

"In this life I've seen everything I can see woman,

I've seen lovers flying through the air hand in hand

I've seen babies dancing in the midnight sun,

And I've seen dreams that came from the heavenly skies above

I've seen old men crying at their own grave sides

And I've seen pigs all sitting watching, picture slides

But I've never seen nothing like you.

Do ya do ya want my love

Do ya do ya want my face

Do ya do ya want my mind

Do ya do ya want my love

Well I, heard the crowd singin' out of tune,

As they, sat and sang Auld Lang Syne by the light of the moon

I heard the preachers bangin' on the drums,

And I've heard the police playin' with their guns

But I've never heard nothin' like you.

In the country where the sky touches down

On the field, she lay her down to rest

In the morning sun,

They come a'runnin' just to get a look, just to

Feel to touch her long black hair, they don't give a damn

:guitar: :guitar: :guitar: :guitar:

Do ya do ya want my love

Do ya do ya want my face

Do ya do ya want my mind

Do ya do ya want my love"

:afro: :afro: :afro: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Before ELO became ELO they put out some really good records. El Dorado is one of my all-time favorite albums ( Boy Blue, Illusions in G Major) . But for those who haven't heard any of their very early stuff check out:

"Kuiama" from ELO II.

It doesn't sound like any of the pop-ish ELO but you can definitely hear the beginnings of their later material. It's a beautifully haunting long song, and is also included on their early hits record, ELO OLE. :rockon: I Love ELO!

Hey, welcome back. Just listened to side 2a of Out of The Blue today. Man, ELO just strikes a chord with me. I connect with the music. It just makes me feel so different than any other band. I don't remember any of the song names, but I really liked them all. I accidentally fell asleep though, so I'm not sure if I heard them all. I like the song Across The Border.