Del Shannon

katie_sane

I never knew Del Shannon committed suicide. I read about it at this website Fuller Up and I could just not believe it. This is a quote from the website:

"From the plethora of clean, American, post doo-wop male vocalists to find enormous success in the early '60s, only a small handful retained musical credibility. Shannon was undoubtedly from this pedigree... Ultimately however, he was branded to rock ?n? roll revival tours which finally took their toll on 8 February 1990, when a severely depressed Shannon pointed a .22 calibre rifle to his head and pulled the trigger, ending the misery echoed in his catalogue of hits."

No one even turned up to claim his remains.

God that is sad. It has really upset me.

Del Shannon is really underrated... His "Runnaway" is one of the top songs in rock history... actually, it was a hit all over the world. When I was a baby I listened to it in the merry-go-round and it was the first song I loved, I was maybe four or five... that farfisa or whatever stuck in my head since then... Not strange I´ve been a fan of his... I know he stoped recording and he was rescued by Tom Petty to make a cover of "Out of time" in the eighties, or late seventies... I read about his death when it happened and it shook me to know he shot himself...

Del Shannon is really underrated... His "Runaway" is one of the top songs in rock history... that farfisa or whatever stuck in my head since then...

Edna, I couldn't agree more. It's my #2 song of the 60s behind the Righteous Brothers "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling". That instrument was called a "musitron" - a sort of portable electric organ, held like a guitar. The possible side effects of the anti-depressant he was taking have been cited by some as being associated with his death.

It was a real shame, because things had apparently started to look up for him career wise, with a modified version of "Runaway" being used in the popular TV series "Crime Story".

He was more popular in Australia and the U.K. than he was in the U.S. We sent 3 of his songs to #1 here - "Runaway", "The Swiss Maid" and "Little Town Flirt". R.I.P. Del Shannon. :(