Born in the 50's? Well, Answer this...

mollsballs8675

To The Rescue!!! More Qualified here..

Ok, first lets get this straight, I was 12 in 1968, the "height" of the hippie era. So I can't tell you a lot of first hand experiences. I did though, do a lot of living in that time after that. I was never a true "peace-loving hippie". What is it you want to know? there are a few of us "qualified"! ::

Okay, I have one, even though it's not music related, but I would trade in my youth if i could go back in time and live the sixties:

In The Bell Jar they mention purse covers, that you could make matching belt covers for? Like, you'd use the same purse I guess and make different covers for every day of the week. Someone please explain this process to meeeee!!!

I'm only here waiting for the women to show up and post. If they were in their early teens during the hippie era, that'd make them the perfect age now. ;)

What a scoundrel.

I'd better go back to the link where I left my time machine and help you all out!!!!!. :guitar:

I was 13 in 1969, but very "modern" or so... liberal parents, french school after "Mai-68"... I lived the 60s through my older friends, sons of pople who travelled a lot (diplomatics, etc.) and I was very "avant-garde" by then. My hippy syntoms were just smoking some pot, taking some LSD or mesc, going to High school, listening to East Coast music, having your room full of Beatles, Stones, Woodstcok, CSN&Y posters, reading the Musical express, MAD or Robert crumb... wearing mini-skirts or jeans and shirts and long hair everybody... coloured sunglasses, all the paraphernalia... not much free love at 14 or 15, that would come in the middle 70s... the rock concerts too, but sleeping back home or at my friend´s place (better than in the fields) so I guess I was like any teen-ager of that time!

Me papa was born in 1950 but he certainly was not a hippie.

Now a friend of dads, his age wasnt a hippie either, but he was definetly hip. He showed me a poster he had of himself on a motorbike, a real lowriding one, long hair the lennon shades and everything. He said he was going to even go to woodstock on his bike if there hadnt been a big storm.

He teaches me the guitar I know and let me borrow some bios and stuff on the stones and beatles and everything.

Just thought Id share.

How about this

_ _ _ _

From over here on this side of the camp.

Great site, Bluesboy, thanks! I was 12-13 in 1968, but my brother and all his friends were hippies. He went to live in a commune, which was something totally new and revolutionary and my parents thought they'd never live it down! Nowadays it's called "sharing an apartment" and it's such an everyday, common thing that nobody would believe what a struggle it was for the "pioneers". ::

... anyway, I remember one part of the hippy thing, and this was the guru. My friends had a guru, very on fashion by then... we used to go to the ashram and sing and burn incense sticks, and then smoke pot outside, some of my friends got in that trip and others didn´t, myself inc., we were like tourist of that...

Nowadays it's called "sharing an apartment" and it's such an everyday, common thing that nobody would believe what a struggle it was for the "pioneers". ::

I wonder how would the youngers do now to live apart from parents if we consider the prices of an appartment nowadays!

I guess we´ve been lucky to leave home at 18...we had jobs and ways to live at least...

Would I like to revisit the 1950's? Nope! Some of what I recall can be summed up in the movie "Stand By Me," which is close enough for this one who remembers The Cold War. (Al Yankovic's "Christmas At Ground Zero" captures the feeling of living on a nuclear bull's eye.) Yes, "Maynard G. Krebs" was around, but so was J. Edgar Hoover! Being different in the 1950's could be dangerous; consider the fate of comedian Lenny Bruce and actress Frances Farmer. At the public elementary school I attended, you could do detention for wearing blue denim/jeans/jacket to class. Then there were the witch hunters searching for the Communists under every bed. Plus, wasn't Great Britain still under food rationing in the early 1950's? Is it any wonder that Rock 'n Roll broke out in popular music? Still, I'd like to visit the small town of Aie'a in the early 1950's in "Star Trek"-shielded mode, if only to see with adult eyes the things I took for granted as a kid.