Best & favourite Cover Songs

Adam34688

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Sonic Youth's version of The Carpenters' "Superstar" is amazingly good.

The video was pretty stunning too...As I recall, the shots of the band performing the song "live" had superimposed "ghosted" visions of Karen Carpenter singing along with them. Wild!

Red Kross also did a good version of "Yesterday Once More". These were contributions to a "Carpenters Tribute" album featuring a whole host of US "alt-rock" luminaries, but I only got the promo single with these two tracks on.

Edited by Guest

I like the Small Faces' version of If I Were A Carpenter better than Tim Hardin's, same with Red Balloon.

Then, Manfred Mann's Mighty Quinn and Matthew's Southern Comfort's Woodstock are also better than the originals.

Some said that most people like Jimi Hendrix' All Along the Watchtower better than Bob Dylan's, but I think there's something missing on Jimi's version, I can't put my finger on it, but there is. I like the original version better.

I like CSNY's Woodstock better than Matthew's Southern Comfort's version. I like them both better than the original by Joni Mitchell.

I agree with All Along the Watchtower...not a favorite of mine at all.

I, too prefer CSNY's Woodstock. When I hear it it's like a celebration of what Woodstock was all about. I like Joni's original, too. It's more of a soft paean to the peace aspect of the "party". Same words of course, just a different feeling.

I also agree with you RJ about All Along The Watchtower. I prefer Dylan's to Hendrix's. I also prefer Dave Mason's to Hendrix's. Some would call me a blasphemer. So be it.

I'm listening to one right now: "Telegram Sam" recorded by Bauhaus.

Others I've been listening to quite recently:

The Slits version of "Heard It Through The Grapevine"

SplodgenessAbounds rendition of "Two Little Boys"

Talking of Rolf Harris, I for one really rated his cover of "Stairway to Heaven". Keep it up, Rolf! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Where's your signatue from, blindfitter?

The "Ich heisse superfantastisch, ich trinke Champers mit Lachsfisch" signature, (which I may change any day now) comes from the glorious singalong chorus towards the end of Franz Ferdinand's "Darts of Pleasure".

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this...better late than never! :)

• 1 month later...

I heard the other night in the car Stevie Wonder's version of "Blowin' in the Wind"...I was flipping channels and the DJ said Stevie Wonder on the way, so I stayed, and I am glad I did. His version of Dylan's song was awesome. It was very soulful and almost had a religious feel to it, I could picture Stevie in front of a congregation singing it and the whole church getting into the song. I have liked the song, but Stevie singing it brought it to life for me. He recorded the version back in '67. This is something I need to find and add to my collection.

• 1 month later...

Shannon Curfman's cover of The Band hit "The Weight" from her Loud Guitars, Big Suspicions album. This is a top nothc cover, she is blessed with a terrifc voice and she puts a great blues spin on the tune, her voice feeling every lyric of the song. She was only 14 at the time this was recorded. Check this one out!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I responded to this thread before, but I'm gonna list some excellent covers. Pardon me, should I repeat myself... I'm old, so I tend to do that :beatnik:

Here are some cover songs that I think are just as good as the original:

- "Keep Me Hangin' On" by Kim Wilde

- "Tainted Love" by Soft Cell

- "Red, Red Wine" by UB40 (decent, not as great as the original)

- "In A Manner Of Speaking" by Martin L. Gore

- "Let's Spend The Night Together", "Sorrow", and "Wild Is The Wind" by David Bowie

- "Fame" by Duran Duran

- "Route 66" and "Moonlight Sonata" (yes, that "Moonlight Sonata") by Depeche Mode

- "Only The Lonely" and "I Want You To Want Me" by Chris Isaak

- "Jealous Guy", "The Midnight Hour", and "Eight Miles High" by Roxy Music

Haaa :cool: I could go on listing!