chick songs

paukl

Chick songs

Does anyone know good ?chick songs?? The kind of stuff which work about as effectively as a bouquet of roses or a ride on a motorbike. Or even better. I remember one summernight some time ago. Romantic mood, beautiful girl. Bottle of wine. An old guitar. Lots of promise. And I played Let it be. And she fell asleep.

Hell, it was the only song I could play then.

By now I mastered some good ones and many of them work (if needed). My favourite: Valentines Day by Steve Earle.

I come to you with empty hands

Guess I just forgot again

I only have my heart to send

For Valentine?s day.

(good excuse song too)

Yours?

BTW: please don?t take offense from the description chick song, ladies. I borrowed it. We could call it ?songs that make you go yeah baby?, but that too is open to discussion.

A couple of ideas. I dated a guy once who actually had a romantic 'mix' that he had put together. Remember the double headphone scene in About Last Night, Rob Lowe, Demi Moore. It was something like that. I ended up not liking the guy but that had more to do with his peronality than his music. Til Tuesday's "Coming up close" is probably the most romantic song I have ever heard. Another one he got from a movie, the Thompson Twins' "If you were here" it's from the final scene in "Sixteeen Candles." One I really like is Genesis' "Follow you, follow me." Moby's "porcelain" also works.

Sometimes, however, a romantic mood is not the one that is wanted; a time and a place for everything. A string quartet fits in nicely in the clubhouse at Augusta, but at Soldier Field (go bears), you would be better off with "Who let the dogs out." So for a more 'active' evening, you could set the mood with something like BT's "Smart Bomb" or "Battle Flag" by the Lo Fidelity Allstars. Two of my favorites, but any up-tempo song with good bass will do. Now say you want to forget the dinner, forget the bottle of wine, and lose your clothes as quickly as possible. For this you will need music that inspires nakedness. One of my friends calls it 'stripper music'. Try Puddle of Mudd's "Control", Motley Crue's "Dr. Feelgood" or pull out your Back in Black CD and just hit 'play'.

But back to romance. "In your eyes" by Peter Gabriel is good but kind of cliched. "Long long way to go" by Phil Collins isn't really romantic if you pay attention to the lyrics but the melody is amazing. You can also impress your date by explaining how Sting sings back-up on the track. And if you're too lazy (or busy) to piece together a romantic compilation, you can always put in The Stranger by Billy Joel and just hit play. "Scenes from an Italian restaurant" has to be included on any romantic mix so you should have the CD already. If you like each other the music probably won't matter. Music usually isn't a closer, 'he's ok but then we listened to his CD's and I'm in love', it can however be a deal breaker. I won't stay in a house with gangsta rap on the stereo. I also can't stand country and western. I've stopped seeing a couple of guys just because of this. So be careful, have fun and if all else fails play "Shook me all night long" by ACDC and just see what happens.

• 5 months later...

Hmmm. There's the Playboy double CD set of Jazz music, but that's for me to set the mood with the ladies ::

Whenever I think of real "chick songs," I get thoughts of Carole King, Toni Mitchell, Carly Simon, Alanis Morissette, Sarah Mclachlan, Ani Difranco, Jewel, and all that Lilith Fair junk. It's like chick flix, but in album format :stars: