Musicians Guesting on other Musicians' Recordings

OLD 55

There's a lot of musicians who've "guested" on other musicians' records, either in the form of backup vocals or playing an instrument (often uncredited on the disc or in the liner notes). The Beatles and Bob Dylan were prime examples of this, often under assumed names. I thought this might make a good Knowledge Sharing thread. Here's a few to start the ball rolling:

Duane Allman played guitar on Layla/ Derek and the Dominoes

John Lennon sang backup on Fame/ David Bowie

Harry Nilsson sang backup and Paul McCartney played kazoo on You're Sixteen/ Ringo Starr

Gerge Harrison played guitar on Badge/ Cream

Stevie Wonder played harmonica onThere Must Be An Angel Playing With My Heart/ Eurythmics

Jimmy Page and Stevie Winwood played guitar and keyboards on With A little Help From My Friends/ Joe Cocker

1. By The Way... Wasnt Duane Allman part of Derek AnD The Dominoes? 2. Yeh he was...during the Layla and Other Assorted Songs album

Not officially - he GUESTED as stated. The group was a spinoff of Clapton and three musos (Friends*) from "Delaney & Bonnie", whose first 4 Hits were credited to "Delaney & Bonnie & Friends* ".

This is from "Artistfacts" - part of Songfacts. Amazing what you can find here.

Artistfacts: QUOTE

Derek And The Dominoes 1970-1971

Eric Clapton guitar, vocals

Bobby Whitlock organ

Carl Radle bass

Jim Gordon drums

Clapton got the idea to form the band after they played together on George Harrison's first solo album, All Things Must Pass.

The 3 members who are not Clapton were in the band Delaney And Bonnie, and got to know Clapton while they were touring with Blind Faith in 1969.

After playing in high-profile groups Cream and Blind Faith, Clapton wanted to keep a low profile, and insisted that he remain anonymous while they were touring. At first, most people had no idea Clapton was in the band.

They released only one studio album, Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs. It flopped when it first came out in 1970, because Clapton was not listed on it. 2 years later, when people knew it was Clapton's project, the album was re-released and became a huge hit.

Duane Allman played on some of the sessions. A huge fan of Clapton's, he was invited to come by the studio. Clapton asked him to sit in, and they became good friends. Allman died a year later in a motorcycle accident.

Paul and Linda sing in one song of Carly Simon (No Secrets album), Paul Mccartney did things on James Taylor songs, Donovan and Brian Jones played in some Beatles songs too... sorry i don´t give the names, i got my files home... oh, that internet connection!!!!! Actually, Beatles and Stones used to backup each other... and Eric Clapton is known to have lend a hand to many friends.

• 2 weeks later...

BOB DYLAN on lots of other artists' records - usually playing harmonica, piano, or harp or doing backup vocals, often under a pseudonym . Here's a few of those he's used.

Bob Landy

Tedham Porterhouse

Blind Boy Grunt

Robert Milkwood Thomas

Roosevelt Gook

::

Gosh, there's so many...lots of folks mentioned the various Beatles guesting on other artists records. But, in the late 60's & early 70's they couldn't use their real names due to legal problems going on at the time. So, John Lennon was "Dr. Winston O'Boogie"...George Harrison was "L'Angelo Mysterioso"...Ringo Starr was "Ritchie Snare"...not sure if Paul McCartney had a fake name. He was the one initiating a lot of the legal action so maybe he didn't need one. But he sang background vocals on Ringo's cover of "You're Sixteen". Ringo & George both were on Leon Russell's excellent debut album in 1970, as was Eric Clapton. Clapton played on the "Delaney & Bonnie & Freinds" album. John Lennon, of course, was on a lot of Harry Nilsson's stuff. Let's see...Dave Mason played acoustic guitar on Jimi Hendrix's "All Along the Watchtower" and various members of Traffic, including Steve Winwood, played on "Electric Ladyland". While we're on Hendrix, the background vocals on "You Got Me Floating" from "Axis Bold As Love" were sung by Roy Wood, Trevor Burton & Carl Wayne of The Move. Roy Wood also played sax & sang on The Beach Boys song "It's OK". Andy Summers, later of The Police, played on the last Eric Burdon & The Animals album, "Love Is", in 1969. Steve Miller, Dave Mason & Charlie Musselwhite played on Merryweather's album "Word Of Mouth" in 1970. Bruce Springsteen played & sang on a couple of Gary "US" Bonds more recent albums and also dueted with Warren Zevon on his last album. Johnny Cash guested on Bob Dylan's "Girl From The North Country" from "Nashville Skyline". Lots more but I can't think of 'em right now. Maybe on a future post...

d59591tbt45.jpg

David Crosby's first solo album

If I Could Only Remember My Name ('71)

had many friends helping -

some of the Jefferson Airplane

Grace Slick, Paul Kantner, Jorma Kaukonen and Jack Casady

Grateful Dead -

Jerry Garcia, Phil Lesh, Mickey Hart, Bill Kreutzmann

Santana -

Gregg Rolie and Michael Shrieve

Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and Graham Nash

This album is still in my top 15.

not sure if Paul McCartney had a fake name. He was the one initiating a lot of the legal action so maybe he didn't need one.

Congratulations on an Excellent post - you really know your music. When the Beatles started their own Apple records they guested/ produced/ wrote songs for their stable of artists.

I'm not sure if Paul used a pseudonym when he guested on any songs, but he produced the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band's UK and Australian Hit "I'm The Urban Spaceman" as Apollo C.Vermouth in 1968.

Paul always seems to be cast as the "baddie" in the Beatles' breakup. Why? He was the only one of the Fab 4 to see through the choice of Alan Klein as their (Mis)Manager.

:headphones: