Rymin' and Stealin'

baccaruda

I'm of the opinion that the original is ALWAYS better than the remake, with a very few exceptions.

Being a huge Zeppelin fan, I still don't acknowledge that their many blues remakes and samplings are better than the originals.

I know of only 2 songs where the remake tops the original:

1. Run DMC's version of "Walk This Way" - although it couldn't have been done without Aerosmith's help.

2. Mr. Big's version of "Wild World" tops Cat Steven's.

Any opinions on this matter?

Isn't that the name of a Beastie Boys song?

I really like Joe Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends". It's such a great song when The Beatles do it, but it really gives the song much more meaning with Joe Cocker's style.

Yep, the Beasties borrowed some Zeppelin in that one.

I love that remake, but it's so different that I can't say it's better - just different. Same with "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window".

I really like Joe Cocker's "With A Little Help From My Friends". It's such a great song when The Beatles do it, but it really gives the song much more meaning with Joe Cocker's style.

I like the intro to that one.

And Rick, Bruce Springsteen's version is extremely cooler and more upbeat I would say than Manfred Mann's.

The three songs I like the remake better than the original:

I like Pat Benatar's version of "You Better Run" better than the original by the Young Rascals.

I like Smith's (late-1960's group fronted by Gayle McCormick) version of "Baby It's You" better than the original by the Shirelles.

And I like Linda Ronstadt's version of "When Will I Be Loved" better than the original by the Everly Brothers.

And I believe Gladys Knight's version of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" came after Marvin Gaye's...I like hers better.

Which brings up an interesting fact. Berry Gordy had a practice at Motown of having several artists record the same song. Then he'd decide which one(s) to release and when. He didn't do it with all songs, but with many. Over the years many have been released, especially on Motown compilation CD's. They're great. A real treasure chest of gems. They also sometimes include things like Smokey's demo versions of songs he wrote and produced for other Motown artists like the Temps, Mary Wells, etc.

That's why oftentimes you'll see that a song was recorded by one artist first but released under a different artist earlier.

In the case of Grapevine it was released by Gladys first. I'm not sure who first recorded it. Of course, it was a monster hit for Marvin Gaye after having been a modest hit for Ms. Knight and her Pips.

Some other great examples of Motown artists covering Motown songs:

David Ruffin doing the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back".

Marvin Gayes version of The Temps' "My Girl".

Smokey Robinson's version of The Temps' "Beauty's Only Skindeep".

The Temptations cover of The Spinners' "Truly Yours"....awesome!

The Supremes doing Gaye's "Can I Get A Witness".

Stevie Wonder doing The Supreme's "I Hear A Symphony".

There are many, many more.

A Motown fan should find these CD's and add them to his/her collection.

Listen. Can you hear that? Shhhh. It's The Commodores doing Nightshift. Amen.

Hendrix's "Along the Watchtower" is better than Dylan's. I also like Clapton's version of "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" better than his.

Also: Johnny Cash's "Hurt" :bow:

My opinion, but I think everybody does Dylan better than Dylan. All Along the Watchtower, Mr. Tambourine Man, Highway 69 Revisited, etc.

Did you ever hear Bowie's Song For Bob Dylan off Hunky Dory? He imitates Dylan (somewhat) but it isn't a cover. By the way...listen to Bowie's Pin-ups for great, great covers. The bonus tracks on the CD have Bowie doing Springsteen. Bowie has always done covers, Fill Your Heart, It Ain't Easy, Let's Spend the Night Together, Across the Universe, My Death....I even have a bootleg of him doing a duet witfh Marianne Faithfull of I Got You Babe. He also does Round and Round, and White Light, White Heat.

:coolio:

And yet several million people all over the world have bought his records/tapes/CD's/DVD's, etc. No, that doesn't make his singing good. But, it sure as hell makes it his "business".

They buy Brittney Spears' stuff too. There's no accounting for taste I guess.

He's loads of fun to imitate...especially after a few drinks. :coolio:

The trick is to smoke a half pound of hashish, spin around in a circle until you collapse to the floor, hold your nose and sing "Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine I'm on the pavement thinking about the government".

Dylan's own mother couldn't tell you two apart.

I actually like Tom Petty's music. His voice can sound like that silly voice Roger Waters does at times though.

I can't deny that Dylan, Petty, or Young's voices have served them well. I'd definitely argue that they survived on character and novelty value than singing talent, though.

Wow, could you imagine a Dylan, Petty, and Young Christmas Album?