Rock N 'Role'

Foxy

Ok, apparently in 2002, 'Sugar' magazine readers voted the following as females they look up to:

1 Pink

2 Brintney Spears

3 Ms Dynamite

4 Kelly Osbourne

5 Kylie Minouge

6 Victoria Beckham

7 Avril Lavigne

8 Jennifer Lopez

9 Sarah Miichelle

10 Holly Valance

It got me to thinking, who actually would make a good role model for young people/teenagers in the world today? With so many stories of drug and alcohol abuse, shootings etc, who in the music industry is setting an example for our kids?

And who were your role models when you were in your teens?

Ok, apparently in 2002, 'Sugar' magazine readers voted the following as females they look up to:

1 Pink

2 Brintney Spears

3 Ms Dynamite

4 Kelly Osbourne

5 Kylie Minouge

6 Victoria Beckham

7 Avril Lavigne

8 Jennifer Lopez

9 Sarah Miichelle

10 Holly Valance

:: These are role models? :P Some teens nowadays just don't understand what real role models are like. In my opinion, there isn't a whole lot of people in the music industry that can be truly considered as role models. I think Bob Seger could make a good role model.

I can't see how any of that list can be viewed as role models.

Tina Turner

She was one of the first and strongest rock and roll musicians, and african-american beating back all kinds of opposition, she was completely open about spousal-abuse she experienced, shes certainly a come-back queen, and shes got longevity!

Stevie Nicks

She is naturally beautiful and her voice is amazing. She has learned how to hone her naturally deep gravelly voice so well. She made it cool to be a chick without a soft voice, also she's still rocking now.

Also:

Joni Mitchell

Lita Ford

Ann & Nancy Wilson

Patti Smith

Janis Joplin

One final note: I was just reading this article...

"Rising singer/songwriter KATIE MELUA steers clear from portraying a sexy image, because she fears raunchy stars like CHRISTINA AGUILERA encourage young girls "to sleep around".

The 19-year-old - who has scored surprise fame when her debut album CALL OFF THE SEARCH topped the UK charts for several weeks this year (04) - is eager to garner credibility for her music, not her image - and rules out the prospect of dating celebrities or attending showbiz parties to attract press attention.

She says, "Christina Aguilera is a brilliant singer, and I admire the fact she has the confidence to show she's happy with her body.

But I don't know if it encourages girls to sleep around and things like that. I think we should ask ourselves if that's a good thing."

Very true....I wouldn't want my daughter (if I had one) using Christina Aguilera or Britney Spears as a role model.

i don't look up to females in the music industry, with them right now it's all about image. i look up to people who write their own music and songs(KURT COBAIN!) and people who actually show talent. None of the artist mentioned in that magazine have anything to be proud of.

Most of them are about image, but there are a few who are actually musicians...*gasp*. I think Alicia Keys is absolutely amazing. She writes her own songs, is a classically trained pianist, and has a voice like an angel. She may be lumped in with the other girls because she is beautiful, but she is definitely more substance than style.

Rock has allowed the emergence of strong iconic women such as Courtney Love from Hole, Siouxise Sioux from the Banshees, PJ Harvey, Patti Smith, Joan Jett, Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill, Kim Deal from the Pixies and Shirley Manson from Garbage to name a few. Despite this female legacy there is little emergence of a new generation of women in rock. Who have we got at the moment? Well there's Brody Dalle from the Distillers, Amy Lee from Evanescence, Karen O from the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs and Meg White from the White Stripes. In Britain we fail even further. At the moment the women with the highest profile in rock are women who established themselves years ago (such as PJ Harvey and Shirley Manson), and haven't produced a great deal of material lately. What's going wrong?

I want to hear more women in rock because there music remains purer and untainted by a media ideology of what it means to be a woman. Women don't always want to sing nice fluffy songs about relationships that get to number one and more importantly not all women want to hear it either. Many teenage girls look up to woman in music and what role models have they got today? Are they hearing songs that they can connect with or are they hearing predictable manufactured dribble over and over again. Women in rock have always offered us songs that were about what they wanted to sing about not what they thought they should sing in order to sell more records. Some may of connected with it, others not. What has always been important with women in rock is that they were women doing what they wanted with no one controlling them. What could be a better role model that that? We need more women in rock and we need them now.

?I am not a woman. I'm a f******g force of nature?- Courtney Love

i wasnt going to say anything about the Courney Love thing as i find it hard to restrain myself when talking about that *woman*. i dont think any teenager should look up to someone who injects themself with god knows what and is quite frankly a crap mother. and there's another thing i will not mention as it will change the subject of the thread. but you know what i mean. hmm

:rockon:Kurt :rockon:

John Paul Jones, bassist for Zep, because he is really good at bass, and is multi-talented musically (like me), and he went pretty unnoticed jamming alongside Page, Plant, and Bonham. I also look up to Hendrix, except for the drug induced death. Just because he was good at guitar, did new guitar things, and from what I hear, was a nice person, not the typical Axl-ish frontman.

Let's examine for a moment the so called role models that were in the referenced magazine (which by the way I've never heard of, then again, I'm not exactly their target audience):

1 Pink = skank who can sing

2 Brintney Spears = skank who can't sing

3 Ms Dynamite = who is this?

4 Kelly Osbourne = just a skank riding daddy's name

5 Kylie Minouge = old skank who makes crappy dance music (she is hot tho)

6 Victoria Beckham = failed pop star who married money

7 Avril Lavigne = perfectly packaged radio ready avenue to 13 year olds allowance

8 Jennifer Lopez = psychotic pseudo actress/singer skank who is riding her glutes on the cash train

9 Sarah Miichelle = who is this pt 2?

10 Holly Valance = who is this pt 3?

There are certainly more taltented and balanced women out there to use as role models, although I agree that the PARENTS should be the biggest influence on how to act, dress, treat others etc. It's inevitable that pop stars, pro atheletes, TV personalities and the like will have some influence because they are pushed down our throats through every media outlet 24/7. But that should be a minimal part of what shapes young peoples psyche and view of self because the PARENTS should pay attention to and monitor the extent to which their children buy into that crap. Enough soapbox. Women who I think might qualify as role model material include Tori Amos, Jewel (tho her last release and image change was garbage, she has since renounced it), Shania Twain (didn't say she was talented, just good role model material)and Jen from The Genitorturers (j/k).

One more thing, Kurt Cobain, talented tho he was, is a perfect role model for WHAT NOT TO BE OR DO!!!!! Mental illness and herion addiction - that's what I aspire to.