SONGS ON WAR!!!!!!

japumpa

This is from The Saw Doctors. I love the sentiment. All Irish musicians are asked why don't they write a political song blaa, blaa.. this is their response.

Freedom Fighters

When a man walks out of his house one day

Looks up to the deep blue sky

Thinks about his past

And looks to the future

And then the answer sparkles in his eye

Oh yes we?re freedom fighters with mandolins

We?re not here for to blow you away

We?ve got songs in our hearts

And guitars in our hands

And we?re looking for peace

Some fine day

If you?re goin' up north or way down south

Or west to Galway bay

Keep an open heart

With lots of love

Then you?ll find people on your way

They?ll be freedom fighters with mandolins

They won?t be here for to blow you away

They?ll have songs in their hearts

And guitars in their hands

And they?re looking for some peace

Some fine day

Well he found the answer it was short and sweet

Crystal for anyone to see

That if your soul is free

And your heart is in the right place

Then you know you?re headin? down the right street

If you like something a bit harder, there's a song called Holiday by Green Day...speaks out about todays war. Otherwise, I've always cried and associated Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones with war...maybe because it was a theme song for an old TV show?

I remember that show - China beach, wasn't it?

Let me check my library...

Somebody already mentioned War by Edwin Star, that's a great one.

Two Tribes - Frankie goes to Hollywood

Ordinary day - Duran Duran (I'm not sure it's about war, but a some of the imagery speaks of war and grief)

One of the living (technically more of postwar desolation than war itself - from the opening of mad max 3)

"Londonderry Air" aka "Danny Boy" is one of the more lacrymose songs about the cost of war. As I've read, this is a father, addressing his just-KIA son on a beautiful spring day. Eva Cassidy's version can really "make grown men cry" in this context. For those who saw Ken Burns' "The Civil War," "Ashokan Farewell" is used as a backdrop for a letter written by Sullivan Ballou just before Bull Run/First Manasas, where he tries to ready his wife for a premonition of death and assurance that he will always be near when needed, though no longer seen or felt. I've always associated "I'll Be Seeing You" and I'll Be Home For Christmas with death in World War II, probably because movies of the 1940's played these songs when "The Letter" or "the two sad-faced soldiers came calling." Then there's "I'll Get By (As Long As I Have You)," which also suggested uncertainty and sudden changes for worse. As for later/current wars, "Turn! Turn! Turn!" says it all.