SAW

Opiate

• 3 weeks later...

SAW was one of those movies that while you are watching it you are kinda like WTF? It is like the screenwriter was channeling pure evil to get that result. The story and acting are VERY intense. This is a true horror movie. Not like Freddy or Jason, this one gets in your head and scares you in your soul. Excellent viewing if you can take it.

• 4 weeks later...

I suppose I am going to have to be the guy that disagrees with everyone here. I thought it was an okay movie but nothing that stands out as an over the top horror/suspense movie. The premise behind the movie I thought was a bit different, but the shock value and suspense was lacking, especially for the storyline being conveyed. I felt like there were some holes in the movie that were too large for the plot to cleanly jump, which I found to almost jostle you out of the terrified mood the movie was trying to develop. The scenes didn?t always fit together and didn?t complement one another, reducing the overall style of the movie to random attempts of over the top shock value scenes tied together by a thin plot.

I can think of a few great horror/suspense movies that uses a fraction of the gore that Saw did but were able to truly grip and hold you in a frightened state for the length of the movie. The best one that comes to mind is Session 9, it builds its suspense off of real fears, such as the fear of the dark, being alone in an abandoned building or playing off the idea of seeing something that may or may not have been there. I think that this idea of building from real fears and then heightening those fears with elaborate and gory scenes was poorly done in Saw. I mean who isn?t afraid of having a reversed bear trap on their head, but how often does one worry about it. Yet how often, as a child or even today, are we home alone at night and find ourselves with all the lights on, or unwilling to make a trip in the basement to get a drink. I think that Saw is the latest movie that tries to go overboard in terrifying the viewer with blood and gore when with the right ideas one could truly scare people without the need to cover the scene in blood.

P.S. This isn?t a rant for someone against blood and gore, I?m a fan. I?m just tired of movies that assume we the viewers are idiots and that flash over substance is the only way to entice us to the cinema.

But hey, what do I know. Thanks for listening.