And when I die

Mike

I'm not scared of dying and I don't really care

If it's peace you find in dying, well then, let the time be near If it's peace you find in dying and if dying time is here, Just bundle up my coffin 'cause it's cold way down there I hear that it's cold way down there Yeah, crazy cold way down there And when I die, and when I'm gone, There'll be one child born In this world to carry on, To carry on Now, troubles are many, they're as deep as a well I can swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell Swear there ain't no heaven and I pray there ain't no hell But I'll never know by living, only my dying will tell Yes, only my dying will tell Yeah, only my dying will tell And when I die, and when I'm gone, There'll be one child born In this world to carry on, To carry on Give me my freedom for as long as I be All I ask of living is to have no chains on me All I ask of living is to have no chains on me

And all I ask of dying is to go naturally Oh, I want to go naturally -

Here I go

Hey hey!

Here comes the devil

Right behind

Look out, children

Here he comes!

Here he comes! Hey

Don't want to go by the devil

Don't want to go by demon

Don't want to go by Satan

Don't want to die uneasy

Just let me go naturally

And when I die

And when I'm dead, dead and gone,

There'll be one child born

In our world to carry on,

To carry on

Yeah yeah

So... was Laura considering re-incarnation -(when I die, there'll one child born to carry on)?

And what is your interpretation of "swear there ain't no heaven/pray there ain't no hell"? Better safe than sorry?

Don't want to go by satan, devil, demons but rather- I want to go naturally?

I think this song has some levels, maybe.

What's your take on it?

Discuss please-

-(when I die, there'll one child born to carry on)? I think she was just minimalizing death. We die, another is born to take our place. No big deal, so to speak. Life for others goes on. As if her life here had no significant meaning. Though, it surely did.

"swear there ain't no heaven/pray there ain't no hell"?

You hit the nail on the head. Somewhat of a pessimist though, doncha think? I don't believe in heaven or hell. Swear there aint neither.

Don't want to go by satan, devil, demons but rather- I want to go naturally?

She just hopes for a peaceful, dignified death rather than a terrible one. So sad that cancer took her so early.

Overall, I've always felt that this song spits death in the eye. While, at the same time, she has a reverant fear of death. We can ask her when/if we see her in the afterlife. She's one I'd like to meet.

Anaticipating questions... No , I don't believe in an after-life. I loved Laura Nyro, though.

Post death is a strange thing to think about. You can't comprehend the thought of living on forever, but you can't comprehend the though of not existing anymore.

That's true, Chris. I believe that after death we live on in the hearts, minds and souls of the people we've touched. So that's why I run around touching as many people as I can. I've been arrested a few times, but man, am I gonna live on.

An excellent post jr. Anyone who doesn't believe in God, please just look in the mirror; a perfect precision made being made in the image of God, although probably with some imperfections, but smarter than any computer can ever be. I DON'T understand Heaven, but I believe in it and hope I make it there one day (not TOO soon though). PS: I don't force my beliefs on anyone. I'm not a religious crank, and I wondered whether to delete this post in case you all think I am, BUT I do believe, so it would have been hypocritical of me to do so.

Things aren't black & white in the non-beliver world. The planet always has been, is and probably always will be populated by a majority of humans that do not belive in the narrow definition that is the Christian god as defined today according to somebody's interpretation of a bunch of old stories and thoughts. Not suprising really if you step back from the clinical opinions taught in our society, and look for the bigger picture which on a balance of probability may contain elements of the 21stC Christian religion, but not be this religion in its entirety.

Religious folk of all kinds are fond of stating that their way is 'the truth' to the exclusion of all others. To my mind this is wholly illogical given that nobody actually knows what goes on beyond our Earth and our individual spirituality, and smacks of a need to explain, install fear and to control.

When I look in the mirror I do see something complicated, flawed and increasingly wrinkly. I have not yet heard an adequate explanation in spiritual terms for what I see. I am sure there is one out there, but I am yet to see a light (other than the bathroom one of course).

People are entitled to their own beliefs, and to deny this is inhuman. It doesn't mean the rest of us have a hope in hell of understanding them! Always good for a discussion though.

Regards

There are hundreds of different belief systems out there. All man made interpretations of the Bible.

Granted, no one actually knows what goes on outside our world, and I'll give you that some religions instill fear as a way to get people to live within their belief system. However, I feel, a far greater number don't base their religious beliefs on fear of what might happen if they don't live within a certain set of guidelines, rather, they live a life of faith , that Heaven will be waiting for them if they live withing a certain bracket.

Fear and faith.

My own personal belief is if you've a good relationship with God, and you speak with Him, it needn't go any further. I have, on occasion, spoken with clergymen for guidance. But for the most part, what's in my heart is between God and myself.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm not sure if there is a god. But anyway I don't run around like, No, there's no god, and if there is,well [bleep] him. And I also pray sometimes, when I'm scared or something, just in case there is someone...It's hard to explain, for on one hand I believe, on another I don't. And I have the impression that I'm not the only one who thinks so.

I'm not really sure what I belive in, I don't often share my views on religion as it can stir very powerful emotions in people with very strong religious beliefs.

Although I went to a Church of England junior school, it did not push or shape me either way. Too be honest I have not had alot of experience with anyone who has such strong beliefs, its never been an issue for me until recently.

Since my step-father died last January, I did consciously shun anything religious as I felt like so many people do "how can there be a god that would cause this much pain" and also our reverend was not the best representative for the religious community. Also with the latest tsunami disaster I find myself having similar thoughts, as friends lives have been destroyed who were in Sri Lanka and Thailand on holiday over the festive period.

However, since the death of my step-father I have attended the local spiritualist church, which has been a great help, and also have seen a couple of mediums. I do believe there is more to life than purely living and dying, and people don't just leave us. Thats just my opinion though.

I have always thought this song to be an atheists' thoughts on dying and the chance on what if his beliefs were wrong. that is how I read the line "swear there ain't no heaven but pray there ain't no hell".

These thoughts may be lingering at the end of the day where the singer than falls into a dream and later awakes with the same doubts. I draw it out of the following verses as the singer is being chased by the devil.

And all I ask of dying is to go naturally Oh, I want to go naturally -

Here I go

Hey hey!

Here comes the devil

Right behind

Look out, children

Here he comes!

Here he comes! Hey

He then wakes up and goes back to the repeating the previous verses with the same doubts.

Of course this is only my opinion.