Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Mike

I just saw this movie yesterday, I was impressed with the acting and script. The film kept me engaged and although it did have it's predictable moments it was very enjoyable.

Jim Carrey was brilliant, as can be expected, a somewhat small part for Meryl Streep, yet the whole thing was held together by the three principle youth actors, Emily Browning, Liam Aiken and the twins Shelby and Kara Hoffman.

Browning is quite good as Violet Baudelaire for a 16 year old actress I thought she did very well, the not yet 15 year old Liam Aiken was pretty good as Klaus Baudelaire also.

The special effect were stunning and like I said the story was solid and moved along at proper pace. I'd easily give this 8/10. Fun for the whole family!!

I saw it a while ago, and I have to say I really enjoyed it too! I thought Billy Connelly was a bit wooden, but the kids were great and Jim Carey was creepy as heck! Totally entertaining and even though it was rather depressing, the black humour was well played and translated the books to film well. I'll have to look at what I rated it though...

Did Jim Carey tone down his usual, "over the top" acting style? It gets old pretty quickly...

Actually recently, he's really kind of toned it down, and has actually shown that he's a capable actor. (I just rented 'Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind' a couple days ago and really, really, really enjoyed it!)

i loved it! hee hee is it just me or did the girl Violet remind any of you of Angelina Jolie. it was annoying me in the film. Has anyone read any of the books? i know they are for kiddies but my brother has them and ive read a few and they are quite good. :rockon:

Actually recently, he's really kind of toned it down, and has actually shown that he's a capable actor. (I just rented 'Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind' a couple days ago and really, really, really enjoyed it!)

True, Eternal Sunshine was amazing. I really liked it because while it was confusing and made you think, I could understand it after only one viewing.

Anyways, I tried to avoid seeing this movie because I really like the books. I am reading the tenth one now. They are probably my favorite books of all time, with the suspense and mysteries and dark humor. But when I saw the commercials, it looked like Jim Carrey was going to be over the top and ridiculous. But from what I'm hearing they follow the book (or first 3?) very well, and keep the suspense and good natured dark humor. Now I am curious to see how they do that though, because most of the dark humor comes from the narraration. Does the movie have a narrarator?

Yes Batman, they have Jude Law playing Lemony Snickett, although he isn't acting per se and you never see his face. He 's actually good as a narrater as it adds to the story rather than makes you feel like there's another character to concentrate on. He types the story out and explains things along the way. Having read the books myself, I can say it is very well done and doesn't lose the charm of reading them at all.

Ugh, I didn't like it much, I hate Jim Carey, and he just creeped me out in thhis film, Billy Connoly was a dreadful choice for 'Uncle Monty' the kids were alright, Violet was particularly good..

I have read most the books and enjoyed them, but the film doesnt do the books justice at all..

• 5 months later...

i just saw this recently and really enjoyed it although some of my friends hated it. it's very unusual and dark but very good and the child actors were very impressive. i think jim carrey is fabulous too. i love all of his stuff, even though i can see how people find his o.t.t. rubberface comedy a bit much. but he has proven with eternal sunshine... that his skills go deeper than that. and he did a great job of this movie. haven't read the books but i would like to having seen the film.

• 4 months later...