Old Music and Todays Music

My little sister thinks its werid that I listen to "old music" she is all into rap (which isnt bad) but I think she is just missing out on the real music where they actually played instruments :guitar: :drummer: and they actaully used there own voices does anyone agree that todays music isnt really music but made on a computer? :stars:

My little sister thinks its werid that I listen to "old music" she is all into rap (which isnt bad) but I think she is just missing out on the real music where they actually played instruments :guitar: :drummer: and they actaully used there own voices does anyone agree that todays music isnt really music but made on a computer? :stars:

You have touched on such a wonderful subject. Modern music is corporate bastardized while the classics were just about creativity and sounding how you wanted to sound. Damn recording industry. Classic rock will never die!!!!

Well, that depends on what you consider old music. I see you have a Zep avatar. What else do you listen to?

Well Led Zeppelin and The Beatles are old for me because I am only a teen and growing up in a world of computerized music and listening to "actual" music if quite different...but anyways I like more then just Zeppelin...like

Guns and Roses

AC/DC

CCR

Eric Clapton

The Beatles

Nazereth

Incubus (which isnt old)

Heart

Ozzy

Black Sabbath

Lynard Skynard

Steppen Wolf

The Darkness (there just funny to listen to)

The Rolling Stones

etc

I just find that this kinda music is so much better than many artist out there today!

Well Led Zeppelin and The Beatles are old for me because I am only a teen and growing up in a world of computerized music and listening to "actual" music if quite different...but anyways I like more then just Zeppelin...like

Guns and Roses

AC/DC

CCR

Eric Clapton

The Beatles

Nazereth

Incubus (which isnt old)

Heart

Ozzy

Black Sabbath

Lynard Skynard

Steppen Wolf

The Darkness (there just funny to listen to)

The Rolling Stones

etc

I just find that this kinda music is so much better than many artist out there today!

:o That's not how you spell LYNYRD SKYNYRD...!

$.02 - I think you can absorb and enjoy the new and old both - you have to find the music that moves YOU - it's almost (or for some it is) on a spiritual level - and some music is timeless - that's what's great about music in general - nobody can tell you what to like or dislike, it's all up to the individual. When's the last time you got goosebumps from a song? Some people never do, can you believe that? Some people are perfectly happy listening to what's on the radio. Obviously the users of this forum aren't part of that bunch, except for maybe LPP. I listen to the new Joss Stone or some John Lee Hooker from 40 years ago with equal yet different admiration and appreciation.

There is plenty of new music out there to move you from genuinely talented performers and artists. It's all in what you like.

As a side note, I do think that a lot of mediocre performers benefit greatly from the current recording technology that manipulates their efforts into something marketable, and I also think that people who buy into said mediocre performers get what they deserve (see Ashlee Simpson for example) as a result. Be part of the heard, not the herd.

Well, well, I suppose in 50 years everyone will be looking back to today saying, Oh, I love this old stuff, why wasn't I born back then?

Do you think that in 50 years the humanity will be that intelligent, Seeker? Hope you´re right!!! =:P And happy new year!!!!!

P.s. I think that anyways there must be some revolution in music soon. Pop and rock and roll will remain as a great thing, but youngers will have to go to concerts... and the old ones will be already dead ones... we need fresh blood, don´t we?

.02 more: Music's stopped evolving. Everything out there today isn't so much a progression of what came before it, but a mutation of it. Smelting rap and rock together, country and pop, etc, etc. Not original, or trail blazing, just a rehash, like when you mix together leftovers. You can taste each one, but it's still the same taste.

My .02

For a large part, yes I'm going to have to agree with Jr, music has stopped evolving. But I think (and hope) that there's a change comin' our way, and hopefully coming faster rather then slower, I think there might be a 'rock rebirth' coming in the form of alternative, kind of like when grunge killed hair metal in the early 90s, except this time around it might be a little more permanent.

My evidence for this alternative rebellion? Modest Mouse, there latest CD was a hit, and those guys came outta nowhere and put out one helluva album. Then I also see the upcoming Beck CD as a possible chart breaker, that could easily work as kind of a 'Nevermind' for the new millenium, meaning that even if the album isn't the best, if it hits, and hits big, it could allow other, once unknown, acts to hit the market, and hit hard.

...Just a theory anyway

The rebirth of music. There has to be something awful before something good can happen, something awful enough for us to recognise and realise what good is once again! And there has been alot of bad lately (manufactured music)...

Modest Mouse kicked rump! The Thrills, the Killers, Aqualung, the Zutons, Kings of Leon etc are all shaping what is to come and I have a feeling it is going to be mighty good! :rockon:

See, my view on it is that there is a standard for good music.

There is great music out that is new, you just have to find it. Incubus (like you mentioned), Manic Street Preachers, Feeder, The Killers, The White Stripes are just some of the great bands from nowadays.

Great music is out there, you just have to care and look for it.

Daniel, so wise for such a, a, well....a Canadian. LOL j/k.

You're so right. Most of us have our tastes for what is good molded from youth to adulthood. Then we become somewhat unwilling to give new/different artists a fair chance. We're so comfortable with our favorites. It's often easier to discover new genres of music (like Amy and Jr. with the Blues) and open up to it rather than allow new artists and styles within our own genre to reach us.

People like you and our children must introduce us to new things. We may listen to people we trust(and who know our likes and dislikes) and give new artists a chance to enter our world. If not for my son I'd have never heard Smashmouth or Barenaked Ladies for example.

Anyway, help us old folks out now and then, ok? It'll be your payback for all the great music we introduced you to over the years.

I concur with that, UncleJoe. I often fall into the trap of hearing something new and thinking 'its alright, but it sounds too much like a copy of...'. Ultimately I shouldn't make comparisons but I do, and very rarely does a modern band match up to its older 'version'.

There are so many bands out there that make good, credible music, and as in any period in time there are many more that are rubbish. I agree that one's taste has to evolve to keep the pleasure of old and new music real. Otherwise we would all be stuck liking only those bands we did when we were teenagers, and wouldn't that be dull?

Regards

Happy new year to you, too.

I'm sometimes afraid that all this music like The Beatles and those bands will be forgotten in sixty years.

Thats why when teens like myself gettin intersted in what we would call the old music we keep it alive and re-introduce it into our family and maybe our younger brothers and sisters and if we are lucky our siblings will start likin it and pass it on to the next genertation....because even thow todays music has evolved from rock to disco to pop to techno to rap then to punk threw those times the good old stuff was never forgotten.. and I admitt there was some good songs out of those listed. As we see today the band Velvet Revolver (if thats how u spell it)has brought back rock in a new form but still has the touch it always had! :drummer: :guitar: :rockon:

I think rock from the 60's and 70's will be "re-lived" for many years as people discover what music was like before the corporations took over and standardized everything we listen to. You won't find adventurous new artists who conform only to their own standards in the music stores. For some reason, the corporations are more concerned about short-term sales (5 years) instead of long-term sales (30+ years). If you can't make money fast and right away, then why make it...?

Also, I was only be a smarta$$ on my Skynyrd comment...